Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll Removed
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,485,438 times

Advertisements

I think it's too bad that the jury couldn't discern reasonable doubt from beyond a shadow of doubt. Sad that the alternate juror states that the prosecution could not prove the cause of death...........I doubt the judge told them the prosecutor had to prove the cause of death. I say this was a jury that watched too many make believe crime shows. I think Casey Anthony will have her own personal hell but I think it is tragic that this woman will walk free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM

47,142 posts, read 26,414,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Isn't that what subpoena's are for?
To force the defendant to take the stand at his/her own trial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Founding Fathers
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
I'm not a legal beagle by any stretch of the imagination, but that's plain English.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 PM

78,860 posts, read 47,093,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I think it's too bad that the jury couldn't discern reasonable doubt from beyond a shadow of doubt. Sad that the alternate juror states that the prosecution could not prove the cause of death...........I doubt the judge told them the prosecutor had to prove the cause of death. I say this was a jury that watched too many make believe crime shows. I think Casey Anthony will have her own personal hell but I think it is tragic that this woman will walk free.

There has to be a cause, to determine how.

This is where they failed miserably.

You cannot have justice, based on opinion. That is injustice.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,485,438 times
If a body is so badly decomposed there is no way to prove the cause of death, a murderer should walk free? Decomposed bodies equal no conviction..........?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 PM

288 posts, read 169,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
I just learned from watching Nancy Grace and others that Casey Anthony supposedly owes IRS $68,000.00 in back taxes. Outraged at this I sent the following e-mail to the IRS Commissioner, John Boehner and Eric Cantor demanding she be forced to pay up or face the consequences:

Mr. Douglas H. Shulman
Commissioner
Internal Revenue Service
Washington, D. C.

Re: Casey Anthony
Owing IRS Approximately $68,000.00 in Back Taxes

Dear Mr. Shulman:

I am writing you concerning the matter Casey Anthony allegedly owing IRS some $68,000.00 in back taxes. I am angered to learn that this individual who supposedly murdered her daughter got acquited and not only that but she supposedly owes IRS a huge sum of money. I trust you will vigorously pursue this matter and see to it she pays this sum or suffer the consequences including a huge fine and jail time.

At a time that the government needs to collect every penny it can collect in taxes to reduce the national debt no stone should be left unturned to make tax violaters pay up in full or face the consequences.

I am also writing John Boehner to ask him to have Congress pass a resolution to have you also look into this matter as well with a copy to my Congressman, Eric Cantor.

Sincerely,

My Name

CC: Mr. John Boehner
Mr. Eric Cantor

Maybe those who wish to see her get some sort of justice just might follow my lead.
We don't have debtors' prisons in this country, not even for Casey Anthony. Also, she has been declared indigent by the state of Florida.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 PM

7,128 posts, read 8,724,358 times
Quote:
If a body is so badly decomposed there is no way to prove the cause of death, a murderer should walk free? Decomposed bodies equal no conviction..........?
There have been convictions in cases where there is NO body!!High profile cases are not the norm...mothers are convicted everyday with less evidece then the state had in this case!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 AM

11,448 posts, read 14,551,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I love how everyone just assumes she did it, because Nancy Grace told them she did it.

Nancy Grace is an ugly man who made a career out of exploiting children. This whole trial is between her and anyone in the courtroom -- not America. All that happens is you get a bunch of morons crying murderer, because they saw a report on TV.......

I'm not saying she IS innocent, but try to understand that the jury had to go by evidence, and not what Mr. Nancy Grace had to say.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 AM

11,448 posts, read 14,551,355 times
Quote:
Interesting logic: Since the prosecution is unable to prove cause of death, then we must convict the accused because we believe her to be guilty anyway.

That's about as anti American as you can get.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:11 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,645,084 times
Peterson's defense lawyers based his case on the lack of direct evidence, and downplayed the significance of circumstantial evidence.[20] They suggested that the remains of the fetus were that of a full-term infant, and theorized that someone else had kidnapped Laci, held her until she gave birth, and then dumped both bodies in the bay. However, the prosecution's medical experts were able to prove that the baby had never grown to full term, and died at the same time as his mother.[21] Geragos suggested that a Satanic cult kidnapped the pregnant woman.[22] He also claimed that Peterson was "a cad"[20] for cheating on his pregnant wife, but not a murderer.

He got the death penalty and sits in San Quentin awaiting his appeal.
Scott Peterson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In these cases, the prosecution will attempt to provide evidence of the circumstances from which the jury can logically deduct, or reasonably infer, the fact that cannot be proven directly. The prosecutor believes the fact can be proven by the evidence of the circumstances or "circumstantial" evidence.
In other words, in these cases it is up to the prosecutors to show through a set of circumstances that their theory of what took place is the only logical deduction -- that the circumstances can be explained by no other theory.
Conversely, in circumstantial evidence cases, it is the job of the defense to show that the same circumstances could be explained by an alternative theory. In order to avoid a conviction, all a defense attorney has to do is put enough doubt into one juror's mind that the prosecution's explanation of the circumstances is flawed.
For Casey, the prosecution theory was reasonable, the defense theory was absurd and beyond reasonable belief.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 AM

12,867 posts, read 15,014,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
To force the defendant to take the stand at his/her own trial?

I'm not a legal beagle by any stretch of the imagination, but that's plain English.
well, i sure don't know how you get due process without questioning everybody involved in a case. it seems like the due process of the victim is being violated by protecting the perpetrator in the court of law.

if the laws need to be reworded to make sense, then i am all for it.

again, every single witness should be compelled to testify in a murder case. (again, especially in this case when it was the mother of the murdered child!)-even more so when you have intellectually lazy jurors involved. there is no one here defending her who can give a logical reason why she was not willing to be cross examined.

we all know that the reason casey didn't testify was because casey was guilty, and we also know that the family knew that she was guilty and lied to cover for her, because that is what dysfunctional families do to avoid consequences. they were caught lying on the stand and i hope that the prosecutor goes after them for lying, with a different jury of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies