Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll Removed
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Our justice system has nothing to do with right and wrong. Roe vee Wade showed that, beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Having established this, though -- what could we replace it with?

The only remedy to all of this is faith in the law of averages, and gratitude for our personal mortality. A copy of Marcus Aurelius at one's bedside doesn't hurt, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen5150 View Post
Maybe the prosecution couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Let's talk about a reasonable doubt. Thirty one days after child went missing before calling police, story of a nanny, story of a drowning, how many other lies? Getting a tattoo, having sex, partying...these arnt the acts of someone who is in turmoil over a missing child. I mean, if you are lieing about almost everything and were proved to be a liar....come on! I believe the justice system failed that child today.
It was the prosecution's job to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she did it. The fact that she went partying and had tattoos done, isn't probable cause of her guilt. There are people that go into a destructive pattern when they lose a loved one. Again, you're basing her guilt on circumstantial evidence. I think your thinking is failing our country. I'd rather 10 murderers go free than convicting one innocent person to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
This is exactly the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! {snip}

This country is toast!
You sound like someone who would fit in at the Salem Witch Trials. You'd convict and burn at the stake the accused simply because someone said that they did it without any hard, substantiated proof. Very sad.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
I was so glad when I heard the verdict of not guilty on the charges related to Caylee's death. You cannot send someone to death row or to prison for murder when there is reasonable doubt. I was glad because the system prevailed. I do hope the Anthony family gets therapy though with all they've been through.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Where is the same outrage when innocent people are convicted.....and executed?

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
What IF she really was innocent? Hell, how many people are in prison that weren't really guilty? Seems like they release one every other day. Seems like too many yenta's take in the gospel of Sister Nancy Grace. And it will be Nancy Grace that will make Casey very very wealthy by keeping her in the news.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Unbelievable...

Remember when we just burned witches and got it over with?

Old 07-05-2011, 05:31 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I saw no difference between this and the O.J. trail. No matter what we believed or heard, we could only rely on the clean evidence provided and hold the burden of proof on the prosecutors.

If the prosecutors don't prove guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" then the jurors MUST return a not guilty verdict.
the OJ trial, another miscarriage of justice.

i guess OJ is still out there trying to find the real killer. maybe casey can join him and look for her daughter's killer also.

oh, never mind, i forgot.

casey's case was an accidental drowing where they covered the child in duct tape from the home and threw her in the woods, which is what any normal person would do when a child drowns, right? (oh, and then lie about it....)

Old 07-05-2011, 05:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
I don't necessarily disagree with the folks who say the jury made the correct decision based on the evidence, but that doesn't necessarily mean our justice system isn't flawed.

Common sense tells you this girl was guilty of something. I'd like one person to give me a reason any rational-thinking human would take a month to report their child missing and make up lies about nannies that didn't exist and the countless other lies if she didn't have something to hide. And if it was an accidental death, why was she out partying and getting tattoos right after the death? Does any of this seem normal? I'd take any rational answer, but there isn't one that exists.

However, I guess you can't prosecute someone based on common sense alone, which is unfortunate in this case.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM

812 posts, read 595,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
And all because the jury presumed to come to a verdict you disagree with

Of course, I am sure that you know better given that you sat through every moment of the trial and had access to the judge's instructions.
I heard the instructions I followed the trial. We live in a morally bankrupt nation. These jurors are representative of that morally bankrupt society. These jurors have now become criminals themselves. They are criminals in the eyes of karma. The only excuse they have is progressive dogma, soulless, or dysfunctional intelligence.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Nancy Grace must be apoplectic.

A shred of physical evidence would have been nice. I agree that based on everything we do know, I'm comfortable saying she did it, (or she's at least a total sociopath) but I'm actually glad the judicial system won't send someone to their death based on circumstantial evidence alone. There was ZERO physical evidence that tied her directly to the murder. I was surprised she admitted knowledge of it at ALL given that.

So we're clear, I think she's guilty as hell, but the prosecution failed to prove it by the letter of the law.

She'll get hers, the Universe sees all.
How come Scott Peterson got convicted for killing his pregnant wife? Circumstantial case also, but justice was served.
Caylee is getting none.
I see the Anthony house, and would like to torch it myself, with them in it.
Don't get excited, I could never do such a thing, but I am very upset at this verdict and this stinking family. I hear Cindy had a big smile of her face, when she got out of the courtroom - she makes me ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies