Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,221,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've assimilated into the American culture, but i still must remain who i am.
Everybody who as a personality does that, regardless of race or background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,515,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
True.

But i just can't see any abandonment on my part of what's considered "black culture," whatever the hell that means. To me, black folks are already well assimilated into the culture at large.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 PM

4,592 posts, read 9,268,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
How were the Black Panthers positive? They were the African-American version of the KKK.

No they weren't. One of the original Black Panthers was a Japanese American man.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,848,503 times
It's funny that people are discussing hip hop as if it leads to crime. The biggest fans of hip hop and rap I know are White suburban kids. Granted, most of friends are White, so there is that. However, just two weeks ago I went to an underground hip hop concert in Hongdae, here in Seoul.

Hip Hop, like any music genre, has its good and its bad. Hip hop does not encourage violence any more or less than rock. The fact of the matter is that hip hop is not a factor in the lowered standard of living for African Americans. Period.

BET is no better or worse than any other cable network.

I find it odd that nobody goes on the offensive for punk rock or heavy metal. However, hip hop and rap get a bad "rap" since it is often only characterized with poverty (despite the fact that it's an international genre with many respectable artists and a lot of crossover with other musical styles).

Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM

4,592 posts, read 9,268,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Okay, I know, folks in this forum have been waiting for me to say something about this. People are reading some of these posts and saying, "Gosh, I wonder what Galileo Smith is gonna say." Alright, here it goes.

First, as to the thread itself. I think race-based subjects are fascinating. There are so many facets to America's race relations. Having said that, it is very difficult to find a decent conversation. It's a tightrope sort of thing. Either people are talking about race relations out of some sort of spite, or they are talking politically correctly and not delving into the problems of race relations. Point is, I look at these threads, and the posts therein, with suspicion. I ask a "why?" to every post. What is the poster's motive, I wonder. Anyway, it kind of hurts the flow of things.

I'm about a zillion years old in internet years. Sixty in human years. I remember when the Rolling stones sang, Let's Spend the Night Together. That was 1967. It took me another four years before I could find a girl who would spend the night with me. And even during that night sex was minimal. What I'm saying is, I'm not sure how much sway music lyrics have in society. I suppose violent lyrics can't be good. When heavy metal came along, I quit listening. I turned to jazz.

Having said all of that, I have said repeated both in this forum and out, that blacks need to forgo significant elements of the culture and their confining communities and neighborhoods. They need to join the mainstream culture. Assimilate 100%. No BET. No Ebony Magazine. Jettison the African-American Hikers Club. No more "acting white" mentality. On the other side of the coin, mainstream culture has to be 100% accepting and ready for a cultural integration. No white flight. Kids, regardless of color, go to public schools and sit alongside each other.

Many blacks have stepped away from black culture. Broken the ties, so to speak. Heck, I saw on a Facebook page a picture of a white guy and his black fiance. They were embracing and smiling brightly. It looked natural because they had made it natural. It not only looked natural, but it looked both hopeful and good.
And there lies the problem

Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,893,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
And there lies the problem
What is it the fault of white people? Did it ever occur to you that maybe a big part of white flight is caused by inner city ghetto culture?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Hip Hop, like any music genre, has its good and its bad. Hip hop does not encourage violence any more or less than rock. The fact of the matter is that hip hop is not a factor in the lowered standard of living for African Americans. Period.
That's just not true. Granted there is some good rap and some bad rock, if we were to average out the amount violence and disrespect of women in "gangster" rap and rock we both know which one would be worse.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
There's a difference between personal individuality and cultural individuality. You can assimilate into mainstream culture and still be an individual. By not assimilating you're not being more of an individual, you're just conforming to a smaller subgroup.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,848,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That's just not true. Granted there is some good rap and some bad rock, if we were to average out the amount violence and disrespect of women in "gangster" rap and rock we both know which one would be worse.
How many underground hip hop shows in Paris, Seoul, New York, Los Angeles, Geneva, and Santa Barbara have you been to? I think I know what I'm talking about...

If you were to average it out, it'd be the same.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 AM

2,300 posts, read 2,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...i just can't do it. I've assimilated into the American culture, but i still must remain who i am. Nevermind BET or Ebony...few blacks see or read that stuff anyway. Black folks shouldn't jettison their clubs because those clubs were created out of necessity.
Well, I've gone at this with you before. Blacks need to break the ties with contemporary black culture. Black-based clubs work to make that culture survive. A socially acceptable white club, just like those segregated drinking fountains, give a nod of approval to racial segregation. Why black clubs were organized in the first place is 100% irrelevant. If the reason is not already obsolete, then work to make them 100% obsolete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies