Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM

419 posts, read 366,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I agree 100%, and I'm African-American. Black culture is choking us from within. We need to drop this destructiveness and assimilate.

Kill Hip-Hop NOW.
Should will also kill violent movies and other violent music? Since it also seems to be choking people from within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,968,091 times
I was done with BET after they took a music video off because it was "too intelligent"....

No I'm not kidding, that was the statement from BET. A music video was taken off because it was deemed too intelligent for its viewers.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:12 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,968,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I don't think it is as simple as that. All hip-hop isn't bad Lupe Fiasco and Common make great music with more positive messages and i like most of the old school stuff. The problem is more that the hood lifestyle is something that a lot of black parents have brought into, which is a response to a lot of blacks becoming parents very young. It's a self-defeating cycle.

BET sure does not help matters. Honoring smut like Lil Wayne puts out is a major problem. I can't understand how such uninsipring filth gets honored so much.
Oh God, not that misogynistic thug.....

- Fox News viewer

Old 07-01-2011, 02:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,448,987 times
Lupe Fiasco and Common are two of the very few rappers I can actually stand. I don't listen to them because I just don't like hip-hop music, but I appreciate that they at least have some matter between their ears and talk about positive themes.

Quote:
I was done with BET after they took a music video off because it was "too intelligent"....

No I'm not kidding, that was the statement from BET. A music video was taken off because it was deemed too intelligent for its viewers.
Wow. That's almost like a self-parody. Sad, sad, SAD.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,935,748 times
theres more important things to worry about then this.

most people dont act the way others act in music videos, etc.

quit generalizing, its what people do who cant think.

and what holocaust in the black community? your seeing the largest upward shift in history with the black middle class with a spending power of a trillion.

im tired of the scare tactics.

there annoying and stupid.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,448,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
Should will also kill violent movies and other violent music? Since it also seems to be choking people from within.
When those "art forms" become part of the identity of an entire ethnic group, then my answer will be yes. Hip-hop is, unfortunately, a major component of black culture. Ninety percent of black youths -- especially young men -- view hip-hop as a deep part of their identity. It's not just music for them.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 PM

419 posts, read 366,083 times
Quote:
When those "art forms" become part of the identity of an entire ethnic group, then my answer will be yes. Hip-hop is, unfortunately, a major component of black culture. Ninety percent of black youths -- especially young men -- view hip-hop as a deep part of their identity. It's not just music for them.
Them lets just kill them and not the music. The people are the problem not the music. I love hip hop son.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 PM

316 posts, read 562,214 times
Quote:
Kill Hip-Hop NOW.
It would be a boring society without hip-hop in my opinion. Building walls, bridges and trains would seem bare without graffiti, turn tables would be used less frequently. Cardboard would only be used for carrying items instead of break dancing on and street poets wouldn't have a major rhythmic outlet to express how they feel about all aspects of life.

"ain't nothin like hip hop music, thats why we choose it and the world just can't refuse it"... - Masta Ace.

When rap music began it was about self expression for young black and latinos living in the inner cities. The music created was both provocative and entertaining. Some music dealt with the realities of living in the inner city streets and some of it was about fame, fortune and having fun.

Today the diversity has been diminished. A lot of that has to do with the fact that rap has become a business and not an art form. I believe the hip hop industry have seen the potential and the financial gains in the music and have created a cookie cutter format to go by. This format is to disrespect women, speak about violence and to portray the image of acting like a thug or drug dealer. For those that deviate, they are underground and don't receive the same type of exposure.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:19 PM

138 posts, read 255,220 times
As someone said earlier in the thread a lot of hip hop today is trending toward materialism and excess. Obviously there is still gangster hip hop, but it is changing.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,143,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Nobody is twisting anyone's arm to watch BET, Bravo, Lifetime or any other network, people need to take responsibility for their own behavior.
Clearly you don't understand how the record business works. When large record conglomerates spend literally millions of dollars to promote artist of their choosing and channeled through an equally concentrated broadcast industry their out balance influence on popular culture is enormous, unless of course you believe that the multibillion dollar advertising industry is just there for looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies