Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times

Advertisements

Lame threads.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymage View Post
I would really like to hear what and african american thinks of the flag.

Northerners and Southerners (european) always go back and forth about the causes of the war. I would like to hear what and african american thinks.

thanks.

I don't think any of it..I have a co-worker/friend who has a decal of the Confederate Flag on his car and he's a real cool dude, it's his business if he wants to put that on his car and it doesn't really offend any of us, I've even ridden in his car a couple of times. I think for him it's just the southern pride because he's always talking about things in the "South".

Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_missouri View Post
haha....I have been living in the south for years now, and I still don't understand what it means
For some of us it is a visual representation of states having the right to make their own decisions, the blood shed by people fighting against government tyranny, and the ever present reality that the federal government can come to your house and take your legally bought property (under their laws mind you), and take it with no recompense to you whatsoever.

For others, it stands for people fighting for slavery, the right to keep people against their will, and to continue that practice.

From the history most of us were taught, you'd think that the latter answer was right.

However, this is not the case for anyone who has truly studied the civil war.

Lets say, for instance, that before the war had started that the Northern states said "Ok, we don't like slavery anymore, its immoral, and wrong. So we will outlaw the sale, buying, and ownership of new slaves from this point on. Everyone who currently has slaves are not breaking the law for keeping them, and we are not going to come and take your legally held slaves under the US constitution with which you bought them. However, we are going to offer you a 3 month period at which to sell your slaves to the federal government, in which we will compensate you with tax payer money to right the wrong that THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT has perpetuated for all these many years"

Then, if the south still left the union, the latter answer would have been correct.

But this is not the reality of history.

The history is that the federal government, urged by northern business interests who sought to seize southern land because most of those in the south would have been bankrupt if they had suddenly given up their slaves without payment for them, decided to say this.

"We are going to seize your slaves, not pay you for them, and there isn't a darned thing you can do about it, except leave the union". Secession was legal mind you, so said the chief justice of the supreme court at the time.

No one wants slaves back. No one is advocating that slavery was right to do. But the federal government, the same one Lincoln said he wanted to protect said that slavery, buying, selling, trading humans for the purpose of making them work for you with no chance of freedom was legal. Ending that practice was a noble, and good goal.

But there was a much better way to do it.

To me, that is what the stars and bars stands for. I am not a racist, I have several friends from various ethnicities, and my family didn't really own slaves. But they did fight for the south, they fought against a federal government that suddenly decided to take everything the south had with no intention to do it the right way.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,191,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_missouri View Post
haha....I have been living in the south for years now, and I still don't understand what it means
We have one cut up in 4"X 8" pieces in our outhouse at the hunt camp in case we run out of toilet paper...

Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Which one? There were dozens of them.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
The confederate flag may make for a good floor mop.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Which one? There were dozens of them.
Why does it matter?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Why does it matter?
It matters plenty, many couldn't tell you what most CSA flags outside of the battle flag even look like.

But in my case, it is Southern Pride, and remembering my ancestors from Virginia/Tennessee, and I have a big 3x5 Confederate Naval Jack next to a portrait of Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard on my wall.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
It matters plenty, many couldn't tell you what most CSA flags outside of the battle flag even look like.

But in my case, it is Southern Pride, and remembering my ancestors from Virginia/Tennessee, and I have a big 3x5 Confederate Naval Jack next to a portrait of Robert E. Lee and P.G.T. Beauregard on my wall.
It obviously wasn't yours that we stole to make makeshift toilet paper out of then!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:39 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,039 times
Default The "CONFEDERATE FLAG" !!! ... She's A Beautiful Sight Indeed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It represents an era of history of the southern part of the US.
It's history, nothing more, nothing less.

You learn from history and hope you don't repeat mistakes.
HappyTexan !!! ... On The Money !

Most logical and of course free from any interference from the "P.C. Muppet's" version of Confederate History !!!

The beautiful "Confederate Flag" and C.S.A. History represent a very important and facinating era in American History !

Ere now blokes ... ain't ya ever heard of ole Genl. Thomas Jonathan ( Stonewall) Jackson and His brilliant Shenandoah valley Campaign in 1862-1863 ??? ... (serving under the ole Confederate Flag he was !) If not mates it must be because some blighters are living under a rock like the Geico Insurance T.V. comercial depicts ...

Blimey ... A bloke whats not clear on Confederate Flag signifigance and yet has lived in the old South fer a spell has without doubt acheived the well earned designation of "Off Ones Onion" ! What ?

By a load of petrol and tour your way up ere on the Old East Coast mates and you will gander at some beautiful CONFEDERATE Flags on display for all to see !!! ... Can Ya Dig It ??? Oh Yeah Dixie Land Is Here To Stay ! Southern Pride, Heritage and C.S.A. History are also here to stay mates !

Don't like it ? WAAAAAAH ! Fly yer own flag and get over it !

The Confederate & American Flags flying side by side ... Now thats a dang pretty site mates !!! What ?

A Way Down South In Dixie ................. Ta / Old Sgt. Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies