Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,931,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm just surprised it wasn't a Louisiana politician saying this. Here in Louisiana, drive thru daquiri huts are legal.
Heh heh .. I noticed that.

Next time I cruise through Lake Charles, I'm going to take a snapshot or two of the booze drive-thrus and send them to my buddies in Great Falls, and Missoula ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 10:08 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,309,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Lot of red tape and legislative work needed, so I dropped the idea.
"Prior to that, I had been in Athens and walked into a fast food joint - walking out with a beer and a Gyro with a skiff of mustard. The whole rest of the day went really well."

Old 04-02-2011, 10:13 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,309,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

I suspect that almost all alcohol caused accidents are by people who are at double or triple the legal limit (true drunks). And those people don't care. So the rest of us get inconvenienced by a ridiculously low limit that probably has little or no positive impact on drunk driving.
The conspicuous use of the words "suspect" and "probably" clearly demonstrate that you are just guessing and are thus as clueless as this Montana Republican.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,431,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Prior to that, I had been in Athens and walked into a fast food joint - walking out with a beer and a Gyro with a skiff of mustard. The whole rest of the day went really well."

Point is: European common sense - food with booze.

(England and Ireland are not part of Europe)

Driving, or otherwise, if alcohol isn't mainlined . . .

Last edited by ergohead; 04-02-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,431,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But that's quite normal, isn't it. Government almost always goes too far.

Biggest abusers.

I suspect that almost all alcohol caused accidents are by people who are at double or triple the legal limit (true drunks). And those people don't care. So the rest of us get inconvenienced by a ridiculously low limit that probably has little or no positive impact on drunk driving.

Should be statistics on this.

And why do we allow the Feds to control drunk driving???? I wonder what there source of authority is.
Article I, Section 8 - Congress shall have the power . . .

Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 PM

9,185 posts, read 5,882,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm just surprised it wasn't a Louisiana politician saying this. Here in Louisiana, drive thru daquiri huts are legal.

Yeah, but if ya don't have the straw in it, it ain't an "open" container.
A few years ago, ya could sip while driving.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 PM

9,185 posts, read 5,882,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well I dont drink and drive. but I live in a rural area so I also never go out and have even 1 beer anymore as the limits are so low I could loose my licence in a minor fenderbender and not be able to work anymore. The feds threatened my state by withholding road money if they didnt drop dui to .08 and dwi to .05 so here we are.The true drunks ruined it for everyone and the gov went too far as usual. so of course business gets hurt
I didn't know about that; .05% is ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,587,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
There is a growing conservative movement that DUI laws are too strong and we should go back to the way it was. There was a thread in this forum about this a few months ago. Folks were coming out of the woodwork to defend drinking and driving.
Yes, what a way to separate the alcoholics from the non-alcoholics. Just like the smoking threads where all the smokers clamor to defend their "liberties".

Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,931,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not get themselves in the position in the first place. Trade favors as to who gets to be DD. Get a sober adult to pick them up. Make arrangements to crash where the party is, like I did back when I learned to drink.

This is a most imperfect world with many problems, but "I'm sh.tfaced and don't have a plan for getting home" tends to be a problem of one's own making. Which means it's not OK to endanger bystanders to resolve it.
um .. not too many "bystanders" out and about in Charlo or Dixon at 3 oclock in the morning .. just sayin

Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
There are victims of drunken driving. And, according to one Montana legislator, there are victims of drunken driving laws.

While speaking out against a proposed bill that would make DUI laws more strict for repeat offenders, state Rep. Alan Hale, R–Basin, said drunken driving regulations hurt local businesses and are "destroying a way of life."

Montana Rep. Alan Hale Says DUI Laws Are 'Destroying a Way of Life'
Well, that's the belief of Repugs....PROFIT/MONEY is their god, and screw any "collateral damage" like people murdered by drunk drivers.....can only hope a loved one of his is the next victim...oh, wait, he's a Repug,he won't care as long as the bar that served the murderer makes a profit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies