Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
There is no law stating such thing.
As I've already said.

However, law or no, it's been ruled in every court case since the Supreme Court precedent that it cannot happen in public schools.

Take it up with the courts if you wish, but you'll lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
So the states that had official religions at the time of the signing of the Constitution were in violation?
You apparently missed the post where he already addressed that.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
yes. It is. If you're going to make the claim that it is illegal, back up the claim. Otherwise, please pipe down.

Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421 (1962). You pipe down.

Quote:
That isn't a law, nor is it in the Constitution.
Wrong.

See above.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
You apparently missed the post where he already addressed that.
apparently I did. Please point me at it.

What changed in the Constitution between the point where most of the states had official state religions and now, where it's illegal for a local school to pray?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:

What changed in the Constitution between the point where most of the states had official state religions and now, where it's illegal for a local school to pray?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
You are right that in the early days of the Republic states could violate portions of the Bill of Rights with impunity. The Supreme Court often interpreted the Bill of Rights and other constitutional provisions as applying only to the federal government, and not to the states. See Barron v. Baltimore, 32 U.S. (7 Pet.) 243 (1833).

However, the Fourteenth Amendment changed this pattern. Beginning in the 1880s and 1890s, the Supreme Court began to incorporate the Bill of Rights to the states, holding that the Fourteenth Amendment requires that rights under the Constitution and Bill of Rights also apply to state and local governments. This is why you could have a state-sanctioned government in 1800, but not in 1900. At this point almost the entirety of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated as being obligatory on state and local governments as well.
Here you are.

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
So the SCOTUS is wrong. They have not interpreted it correctly.

Says you. But your opinion is irrelevant. The SCOTUS has the final word.

Quote:
Considering many of the original states had official religions, they would have been illegal at the time of the signing...which we knew wasn't the case. Of course, that doesn't sway a liberal's mind if it's made up...but oh well.
Oh this is a political issue? I had always thought the 14th amendment took care of this little detail.

FAIL AGAIN!

Quote:
In any event, WHAT LAW WAS BROKEN BY THIS BEING DONE? Please give me actual quotation from a law, or the constitution.
The First and possibly the 14th amendments of the Constitution of the United States.

Quote:
You're getting closer...except you haven't told me what religion was actually established as a result of this.
It doesn't have to be a specific religion.

All of your arguments are straw men.

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Some public schools and universities are granting Muslim requests for prayer times, prayer rooms and ritual foot baths, prompting a debate on whether Islam is being given preferential treatment over other religions.
Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment - USATODAY.com

Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,150 times
Quote:

From post #65:

Quote:
You are right that in the early days of the Republic states could violate portions of the Bill of Rights with impunity. The Supreme Court often interpreted the Bill of Rights and other constitutional provisions as applying only to the federal government, and not to the states. See Barron v. Baltimore, 32 U.S. (7 Pet.) 243 (1833).

However, the Fourteenth Amendment changed this pattern. Beginning in the 1880s and 1890s, the Supreme Court began to incorporate the Bill of Rights to the states, holding that the Fourteenth Amendment requires that rights under the Constitution and Bill of Rights also apply to state and local governments. This is why you could have a state-sanctioned government in 1800, but not in 1900. At this point almost the entirety of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated as being obligatory on state and local governments as well.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Here you are.
So....in your opinion, would the SCOTUS have ruled against those states that had official state religions, as being unconstitutional?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Not every law has to be spelt out in black and white. Please see Engel v. Vitale and Abington School District v. Schempp for the Supreme Court decision on authority-led prayer in school.

Quote:
What changed in the Constitution between the point where most of the states had official state religions and now?
It's all in how the Supreme Court (circa 1962) interpreted the law.

Quote:
where it's illegal for a local school to pray?
It's only unconstitutional ("illegal") for an authority-figure in a local school to lead prayer. If it's the students doing it of their own accord, it's fine.

At my high school, there was a group of Christian students that, each day, would gather at the flagpole to pray. Because no teacher endorsed, participated, and/or interfered, it still continues to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies