Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,415,200 times

Advertisements

Meh . . . It can't hurt. Neither can rhino-hide on whiners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM

103 posts, read 157,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just how would a school PREVENT prayer before a test?
They wouldn't and shouldn't if it's a student led meeting. They can easily prevent themselves from holding a prayer meeting though. That's just a silly question.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,857,105 times
Who was this school praying to?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM

I know that many people "pray" instead of taking action as if it is their lucky rabbits foot.

Too many people "pray" for their neighbors in need instead of helping them. Praying, instead of studying, for a test is as effective as the WI couple that prayed for their daughter (who died of diabetes) instead of seeking medical attention for her.

1,777 posts, read 1,405,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So the SCOTUS is wrong. They have not interpreted it correctly. Considering many of the original states had official religions, they would have been illegal at the time of the signing...which we knew wasn't the case. Of course, that doesn't sway a liberal's mind if it's made up...but oh well.
You are right that in the early days of the Republic states could violate portions of the Bill of Rights with impunity. The Supreme Court often interpreted the Bill of Rights and other constitutional provisions as applying only to the federal government, and not to the states. See Barron v. Baltimore, 32 U.S. (7 Pet.) 243 (1833).

However, the Fourteenth Amendment changed this pattern. Beginning in the 1880s and 1890s, the Supreme Court began to incorporate the Bill of Rights to the states, holding that the Fourteenth Amendment requires that rights under the Constitution and Bill of Rights also apply to state and local governments. This is why you could have a state-sanctioned government in 1800, but not in 1900. At this point almost the entirety of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated as being obligatory on state and local governments as well.

8,346 posts, read 7,053,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who was this school praying to?
Which is a good question.

It's hard to hold a prayer and not pray to SOMETHING.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,182,022 times
Quote:
So the SCOTUS is wrong. They have not interpreted it correctly. Considering many of the original states had official religions, they would have been illegal at the time of the signing...which we knew wasn't the case. Of course, that doesn't sway a liberal's mind if it's made up...but oh well.

In any event, WHAT LAW WAS BROKEN BY THIS BEING DONE? Please give me actual quotation from a law, or the constitution.
Please see Engel v. Vitale and Abington School District v. Schempp. There is precedent and rulings stating that administrative-led prayer is wrong - no matter what denominational or non-denominational flavour it is.

Quote:
You're getting closer...except you haven't told me what religion was actually established as a result of this.
Well, here's the flyer. Notice the use of "God", and not "G-d", "Yahweh", "Jenova", "Allah", "Poseidon", and/or "god(s)". Also notice the reference to Jeremiah 33:3 which says:

Quote:
Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.
Perhaps those "great and unsearchable things you do not know" would be the correct answers to the test?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,326,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Then go to a private religious school instead of forcing your beliefs on others.

How would you feel if students went to a private religious school and fought to have prayer removed there?
This prayer was voluntary. Not forced. In fact, my public school just opened a new Christian club for believers in God. There was a poll in our school paper saying that of the nearly 200 students polled, 90% believe in God, 3% did not and 7% were unsure. 71% of the students said we should allow prayers as well. There was also a protest among some students that were upset our school had a Gay/straight alliance club, but no Christian club and thus one was created.

So, I don't really think I would be "forcing" my beliefs.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Meh . . . It can't hurt. Neither can rhino-hide on whiners.
And if the school led praying to Allah during the day???
That would be okay for you?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
This prayer was voluntary. Not forced. In fact, my public school just opened a new Christian club for believers in God. There was a poll in our school paper saying that of the nearly 200 students polled, 90% believe in God, 3% did not and 7% were unsure. 71% of the students said we should allow prayers as well. There was also a protest among some students that were upset our school had a Gay/straight alliance club, but no Christian club and thus one was created.

So, I don't really think I would be "forcing" my beliefs.
What god do these 90% believe in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies