Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,314,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Because I am henceforth going to ignore your posts. I have minimal requirements for arguing points and you don't meet them.
Meaning that when someone shows you how flawed your argument is by using your exact argument by replacing it with other facts, you run and hide.

You can't answer this:

Is Wal Mart guilty of racism and anti-semitism (hate speech) if a customer walks in the door with "Holo-Hoax" or "I'll finish what Hitler started!" or "Mulatos make great help"

Yet you want us to believe this:

Wal Mart guilty of sexual harassment if a customer walks in the door with "I F*** on the first date"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Another inapt analogy trying to compare a company's dress code to a companie's sexual harassment policy.
yet you haven't posted Wal Mart's policy on Sexual Harassment or what they consider Sexual Harassment (and not the policy for their employees, we want the policy for their customers)

Oh and you have to provide that policy where the customer agrees to such policy in the first place.

Oops you run into a legal issue there

Oh wait, you have yet to present a legal position to begin with. Just an armchair lawyer.

Quote:
The Wal-Mart sexual harassment policy just mirrors the government's sexual harassment statutes. Both Wal-Mart employees and customers must follow the federal law on sexual harassment.
Precedent? Proof?

Oh wait, you don't have any.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Sound Like Great advice, I agree !!!!
another poster who tries to defend the ludicrous argument in the Opening and fails miserably.

Legal precendence? Where are the cases where employees sued their employer on Sexual Harassment because of what customers wear into the store.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 AM

20,063 posts, read 12,353,791 times
Don't mess with the People of Wal Mart.

Funny Pictures at WalMart Photos

Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 AM

8,275 posts, read 12,934,152 times
While I agree it is a stretch to call a suggestive shirt sexual harassment the OP brings up a theme of offensive materials and the general acceptance by the public. The standard response of if you don't like it don't shop there really doesn't answer the issue... Say a parent doesn't want their child exposed to the F bomb... They have no way of knowing where some dumbarsh is going that might wear such shirts. We seem to want to protect freedom of speech so much that we impede on the rights of others that take offense.

Do we really want to degenerate in to a country where slovenly behavior is the norm and rules? Are standards of "moral" behavior to be ignored so some douche that can barely read can think he will be a chick magnet with such a shirt? It is hard to counter such ignorant shirts with the truth.... Like... "there is a thing called paternity" or "first dates can lead to child support, HIV, Hepatitis, or stuff oozing from your business" If reality T shirts are the fad... How's that?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 AM

8,650 posts, read 17,327,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
So now wearing a T-Shirt is sexually harassing someone. This is the probably the dumbest thing ive ever read on any forum in a long time.
If you wore those shirts in the work place, yes it would be "sexually harassing someone" so why is wearing it in wal mart any different?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,860,246 times
A tshirt might be offensive, but without more it does not rise to the level of legal sexual harassment. The act/conduct must be unwelcome. If no one complains it is not unwelcome. Moreover, to meet the legal definition of sexual harassment the conduct must also be severe or pervasive. Neither of which a tshirt alone will provide.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,361,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
And the minute WalMart asks someone to leave the store because of an offensive shirt that person (who without a doubt will be a minority of some sort) will sue WalMart for discrimination and the lefties here will be behind them the whole way.
Why would you ASSUME that a person wearing such a short would be a minority?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,484,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
And the minute WalMart asks someone to leave the store because of an offensive shirt that person (who without a doubt will be a minority of some sort) will sue WalMart for discrimination and the lefties here will be behind them the whole way.
You are exactly right. It would be a violation of the right of freedom of speech. One may not like the message on someone else's clothing, but they cannot ask them to leave a store because of the message on a T-shirt.

Real sexual harrasment, where there is verbal exchange, physical touching and such, is one thing. But there is no Constitutional right not to be offended by something.

Some might be offended by a woman or young girl wearing clothing that exposes too much breast, or a skirt that is so short that it arouses. We see these things all the time. Are we going to require women to cover up, as they do in Muslim countries? I don't think so.

This thread is just plain silly. From me, it gets a great big

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM

555 posts, read 882,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You are exactly right. It would be a violation of the right of freedom of speech. One may not like the message on someone else's clothing, but they cannot ask them to leave a store because of the message on a T-shirt.

Real sexual harrasment, where there is verbal exchange, physical touching and such, is one thing. But there is no Constitutional right not to be offended by something.

Some might be offended by a woman or young girl wearing clothing that exposes too much breast, or a skirt that is so short that it arouses. We see these things all the time. Are we going to require women to cover up, as they do in Muslim countries? I don't think so.

This thread is just plain silly. From me, it gets a great big
Another knee-jerk with lack of reading comprehensive skills. I quoted from Wal-Marts own sexual harassment policy on the web which states that sexual harassment may include: "Displaying sexually suggestive pictures or objects, suggestive looks or leering, or suggestive communication in any form." That would include the lettering on t-shirts. I am getting tired of repeating this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies