Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times

Advertisements

I'm piggy-backing on another thread. What happens when the superior is a female and requests sexual favors or makes advances on a male employee? You know, the Mary Kay LeTorneau role reversal, but in the workplace. Or how about this one - there was a women's studies class at a major West Coast university and ONE male enrolled, disagreeing with the premises and positions of the female professor. She made the situation difficult and graded him accordingly. I believe he sued. Good for him. Do these situations occur frequently? Do they get settled in favor of the male?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Hi, Robert. When men sue for sexual harassment, it's not "reverse discrimination", it's just sexual harassment. Unless you were referring to the university case, not the thread topic your OP spun off from, sorry if I misunderstood.

I graduated from the university you're referring to, and was working there when the incident occurred. I later took a class from that instructor. The instructor tended to be unpleasant and to respond inappropriately when anyone questioned the underlying premises of her arguments, women included; that was my observation. She was not a skilled instructor. I don't think he sued (I don't recall, exactly), but he did make a good short-term career for himself on the TV talk-show circuit. If he was the only one who felt he was censored in the class, it must have been because the women in his class didn't challenge the professor. In the course I took, there were no male students, and women did challenge the professor. She didn't handle it well.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When men sue for sexual harassment, it's not "reverse discrimination", it's just sexual harassment.

I graduated from the university you're referring to, and was working there when the incident occurred.
Correct, it's not "reverse." However, beyond this event, how prevalent are they are what happens?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,620,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm piggy-backing on another thread. What happens when the superior is a female and requests sexual favors or makes advances on a male employee? You know, the Mary Kay LeTorneau role reversal, but in the workplace.
Um, Mary Kay Letourneu was a pedophile.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Correct, it's not "reverse." However, beyond this event, how prevalent are they are what happens?
If they have a good case, they win, just like when women sue. If they don't have a sound case, they don't win.

We should start a thread on the LeTourneau case. There's more to it than the media ever discussed.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:38 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,438,219 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;23969428]If they have a good case, they win, just like when women sue. If they don't have a sound case, they don't win.

I would like to think that is true, but if, as I contend, their is little support for males who bring charges against females within a system which is highly biased against males, having a sound case would guarantee nothing except that much time and energy would be wasted seeking justice.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,509,923 times
Do some of the legwork yourself, and you'll see what the results have been. Yes, complaints, suits and settlements.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:48 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Not sure about the sexual harassment suits, but we had ONE male in our women's history class in college... he was an active participant in the discussion, well-liked by everyone, and I believe did quite well in the end. He also had a major crush on me, and would carry my viola to our orchestra rehearsal that followed. But I'm sure if he'd been mistreated for being a man, and had a strong case to back up his claims, the appropriate action (legal or administrative) would have been enacted. Fair is fair, and I doubt any discrimination would have been tolerated.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,069,113 times
When men file sexual harassment, most of the time it isn't taken seriously and he gets fired. Most of the people in higher positions in the workplace are either feminists or white knights.

These people (feminists and white knights) not only run employment fields, they run educational institutions and the government. And it's sexual harassment period, not reverse nothing. Same with sexism, racism, classism, not matter what race of gender.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
When men file sexual harassment, most of the time it isn't taken seriously and he gets fired. Most of the people in higher positions in the workplace are either feminists or white knights.

These people (feminists and white knights) not only run employment fields, they run educational institutions and the government. And it's sexual harassment period, not reverse nothing. Same with sexism, racism, classism, not matter what race of gender.
Do you have any statistics or studies to back up these claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies