Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you worried about the possibility of human-robot marriages?
Yes, I'm worried about it 11 8.53%
No, I'm not 113 87.60%
Not sure 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:06 PM

8,181 posts, read 9,282,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't disagree with your point.
And if they did take away financial benefits I don't think the out cry for homosexual marriage would be as loud.
Lets make that the focus then! See if you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,623,003 times
Quote:
You are a classy one I see.
What are you talking about? and your argumentative skills are above and beyond. Way to deflect from the conversation at hand.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,584,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Cosmic Log - Just say no ... to robot marriage?

I think this means they're losing the battle.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard to date...Sad these people don't have more self realization about what fools they make of themselves when they talk like this.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Sad these people don't have more self realization about what fools they make of themselves when they talk like this.
If we didn't have people making foolish statements, this would be a very quiet country.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,812,214 times
Quote:
AUM I wish you would learn to debate in a mature way and this response is a classic example. No one is lying or trying to "vilify gays."
The line about gays wanting to marry primarily for financial reasons is a lie.

Quote:
Why do you have to get so emotional? Some people in life are going to disagree with your point of view. This does not mean you have to hate them or they are your enemy.
I wasn't getting "emotional" at all. I was just stating my opinion. Your interpretation is way off, I guess. And I never said I hate anyone. Good grief.

Quote:
Calling people names and accusing them of lying gets old.
You would garner more respect if you would debate in a calm and mature fashion.
I didn't call anyone a name. I said that your statement was a lie. And garnering respect from a bunch of anonymous posters on an internet forum - especially the ones who chime in with anti-gay remarks every day - is not a high priority for me.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,812,214 times
Quote:
Ah but neither can two people of the same sex according to the agreed upon definition of marriage. There are those out there that want to change this.
Actually, yes, they can marry in some places. The "agreed upon definition of marriage" varies from place to place.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM

3,215 posts, read 6,006,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A gay individual can marry a person of the opposite sex just as a hetero person can. No discrimination in that at all. The law applies equally to everyone an no group gets preferential treatment.
Good point. +1

Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 PM

4,974 posts, read 8,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
No, homosexuals can't currently marry. The race issue I brought up was an analogy. We based our marriage laws on genetics (skin tone) in the past, and we continue to base marriage laws on genetics (sexuality).

You're right the racial struggle was worse in many ways. However, it still doesn't mean that we should continue to base laws on genetic makeup. Nor does it mean that there is no oppression against homosexuals. Many people are denied visiting love ones, health insurance, the ability to adopt, marriage, DADT (which only recently was defeated), you could be discriminated on the basis of sexuality for jobs (until recently).
Marriage laws arent based on genetic makeup. Their based on the fact that men & women mate & marriage is simply a contract to that effect granting them a few things in order to raise a family in a presumably stable setting.

Marriage has nothing to do with rights & nobodies rights are being violated if he or she cant marry a person of the same sex. Everybodies common sense is violated by the concept of same sex marriage though.

Quote:
We did stop basing laws on reality. We base them on arbitrary morals from an ancient book.
Thats a straw man arguement if I ever heard of one. I supose it holds water as far as marriage in a church but noplace else.
On another note those arent arbitrary morals. They are basic morals accepted since the dawn of time. Homosexuality is an aberation, a sexual disorder. No ammount of modern acceptance of homosexuality can change that simple fact.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM

4,974 posts, read 8,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The line about gays wanting to marry primarily for financial reasons is a lie.
Well its a lie often told by gay rights folks. We very often hear that they need marriage to pass on wealth & to secure spousal health ins bennies.
The truth is they want to marry simply to further a fantasy of normalcy.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Marriage laws arent based on genetic makeup. Their based on the fact that men & women mate & marriage is simply a contract to that effect granting them a few things in order to raise a family in a presumably stable setting.

Marriage has nothing to do with rights & nobodies rights are being violated if he or she cant marry a person of the same sex. Everybodies common sense is violated by the concept of same sex marriage though.

Thats a straw man arguement if I ever heard of one. I supose it holds water as far as marriage in a church but noplace else.
On another note those arent arbitrary morals. They are basic morals accepted since the dawn of time. Homosexuality is an aberation, a sexual disorder. No ammount of modern acceptance of homosexuality can change that simple fact.
I could not imagine living my life caring so much about the actions of people you don’t even know. What is it that goes through a persons brain that causes them to think your way?

How many laws did Jesus ask Caesar to pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies