Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is China's Hideous Fur Farming Practices a Good Reason to Boycott China?
Yes, I will go out of my way now to avoid Chinese products 9 23.68%
No, I love wearing fur, and I don't care about animal suffering 3 7.89%
Yes, but I was already going out of my way to avoid Chinese products 21 55.26%
No, I don't wear fur, but their fur farms are their business 6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM

18,339 posts, read 26,605,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I have no love for the big oil interests, and what they have done to the Gulf region is typical of the rape of the earth by corporate interests, as well as the mass murder by slow poisening of the Gulf region residents.
But that is a different issue.
It's not a different issue. The synthetics espoused by anti-fur activists are the product of oil.

Do you oppose eating meat?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,323,418 times
Quote:
True, we were given 'dominion' but that does not extend to the right to exercise torture, unless such powers are granted by other prinicipalities.
I agree. I don't like seeing animals suffer either. In fact, I also worry for the people who do that for a living day in and day out. It must take a terrible toll on those people as well. I would think that after spending the day killing cute little helpless animals that one would tend to look at the world as a much darker place and tend to value ALL life less. That's a far cry from thinking animals have some sort of rights though.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM

277 posts, read 167,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Look, I like cute furry animals as much as the next person but they don't have rights. We (humans) were given dominion over all the creatures of the Earth. They exist here for our use, be that as food, clothing, or whatever. There are a lot more pressing issues to be concerned about in the world than this.
Oh My God. This? Ridiculous.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,144,137 times
I really don't want to read through this thread b/c I know I'll get super mad at anyone who thinks this is acceptable behavior, but this is honestly one of many problems in these other countries when it comes to animal cruelty. It's horrific, and there are many more disgusting acts that go on around the world for the sake of fashion, food and just plain people being crazy. I try not to buy Chinese products for a variety of reasons but it's somewhat hard to avoid. I despise fur and everyone who knows me would never have the balls to wear fur in my presence. If I was willing to get arrested, I would be one of those people who goes around throwing red paint on people's fur coats...but alas, I like having a clean record.

FWIW, I don't think all Chinese products should be boycotted for this reason. That's like saying another country wants to boycott us just b/c of something ONE company did, or ONE industry did.

I have no idea if this was already mentioned but many of the animals that are killed in China for fur are domesticated cats and dogs that are stray or stolen from people's yards.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,370,997 times
I don't really care that cute and furry little creatures are killed for fur coats. I just think it's sick they are skinned alive. How is it done in the states?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,747,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's not a different issue. The synthetics espoused by anti-fur activists are the product of oil.

Do you oppose eating meat?
You don't know the difference between spilling oil into the ocean or elsewhere, and skinning an animal alive?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You don't know the difference between spilling oil into the ocean or elsewhere, and skinning an animal alive?
Can you connect the dots? To use synthetic materials rather than natural fur, requires that oil, which kills animals, destroys habitat, pollutes the air, etc.

And if you go with cotton, wool, etc., you likewise get destruction of wildlife habitat to grow/raise those, cotton growing requires toxic chemicals largely petroleum based, etc.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I don't really care that cute and furry little creatures are killed for fur coats. I just think it's sick they are skinned alive. How is it done in the states?
Fur farms in the U.S. will gas animals with CO gas. It painlessly puts them to sleep then kills them, rather quickly. With wild fur it varies, from shooting to instant kill type conibear traps.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,747,100 times
Quote:
Can you connect the dots? To use synthetic materials rather than natural fur, requires that oil, which kills animals, destroys habitat, pollutes the air, etc.

And if you go with cotton, wool, etc., you likewise get destruction of wildlife habitat to grow/raise those, cotton growing requires toxic chemicals largely petroleum based, etc.
One is necessay, one is not. We cannot live without oil and oil derivatives.
We can live without fur, and the skinned alive animals that accompany them.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,370,997 times
Quote:
Fur farms in the U.S. will gas animals with CO gas. It painlessly puts them to sleep then kills them, rather quickly. With wild fur it varies, from shooting to instant kill type conibear traps.
Good to know...thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies