Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:02 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,511,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sigh...
Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A)
Listing of Impairments - Child Listings (Part B)

Pre-existing conditions which would keep you from obtaining employment which would give you medical benefits. If you cant get employment because of your illness, it would mean you are disabled.. Feel embarassed for yourself.. I surely am...
ok, that's nice but... once again: Total disability from the perspective of social security is not the same thing is a pre-existing condition from the perspective of a health insurance company.

If you are born with severe mental retardation or with a neurological disease that leaves you completely paralyzed, then yes, social security can give you some benefits.

If you have something much less instantly debilitating such as diabetes or early-stage cancer, then health insurance companies could and historically have exploited every legal boundary they can to deny you coverage. It's for these kinds of people that the health reform was aimed, not for the people already in total disability!

Fortunately, Congress already passed HIPAA back in 1996, which in a nutshell says that if you had at least a full year of health coverage at your previous job and you enrolled in your new health plan without a break of 63 days or more, your new health plan cannot subject you to the pre-existing condition exclusion. This helps a lot of people, especially given COBRA, but...if you happen to fall through that hole of the 63 days or didn't have full health coverage at your previous job for more than a year because for a variety of unfortunate personal circumstances...then you're SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,929,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Incorrect. There has been ongoing federal funding for state high-risk pools. For example, see S. 288 - State High Risk Pool Funding Extension Act of 2005

More info: http://www.ahipresearch.org/pdfs/Hig...date2-2-06.pdf

Why are so many liberals so uninformed?
What was it, 33 or 34 states had such pools and were they still getting funding after 2006?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM

8,667 posts, read 9,212,714 times
Quote:
Sigh...
Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A)
Listing of Impairments - Child Listings (Part B)

Pre-existing conditions which would keep you from obtaining employment which would give you medical benefits. If you cant get employment because of your illness, it would mean you are disabled.. Feel embarassed for yourself.. I surely am...
You are out of your league on this topic pghquest. I know, I've been involved with exact issue pertaining to my wife. It does not rely on whether you are being denied employment because of illness. It is based solely on what the doctors say whether you can and should work or not. This may sound easy but for many chronic pain conditions that are poorly understood and ignored in this nation this is a huge undertaking to say the least.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
They were always able to purchase coverage even if it was high.. My fiance has chrohns, and my father has a rare disease that requires a $50K treatment monthly.. They both have insurance.. Stop pretending you cant get care with pre-existing conditions.

I dont care where you rest on a political spectrum. If you are wrong, you are wrong..

Those in the military have military insurance like tricare.

I have far more of a clue about the hardships of getting insurance as listed above than you can imagine. Again.. Just because you are an independent, it doesnt make you correct.. YOU ARE WRONG... you were wrong when you were babbling about people DYING in the streets as well, which is what started these replies..

Boy is the bull crap getting deep in here.. They are dying BECAUSE THEY ARE SICK.. No one is denied medical treatments in america. Get this straight and then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation..

They were always able to get care with pre-existing conditions. Stop pretending this isnt true

Again.. it will not... People were ALWAYS able to get care..
choking on lunch!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:08 PM

89,800 posts, read 45,424,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What was it, 33 or 34 states had such pools and were they still getting funding after 2006?
Read the pdf document I linked. Appropriations for each fiscal year 2007 through 2010 were authorized. Federal funding set up and subsidized state high-risk insurance pools. Given that, why was a new national high-risk pool necessary?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,366,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
ok, that's nice but... once again: Total disability from the perspective of social security is not the same thing is a pre-existing condition from the perspective of a health insurance company.

If you are born with severe mental retardation or with a neurological disease that leaves you completely paralyzed, then yes, social security can give you some benefits.

If you have something much less instantly debilitating such as diabetes or early-stage cancer, then health insurance companies could and historically have exploited every legal boundary they can to deny you coverage. It's for these kinds of people that the health reform was aimed, not for the people already in total disability!

Fortunately, Congress already passed HIPAA back in 1996, which in a nutshell says that if you had at least a full year of health coverage at your previous job and you enrolled in your new health plan without a break of 63 days or more, your new health plan cannot subject you to the pre-existing condition exclusion. This helps a lot of people, especially given COBRA, but...if you happen to fall through that hole of the 63 days or didn't have full health coverage at your previous job for more than a year because for a variety of unfortunate personal circumstances...then you're SOL.
And if you are not disabled, then you have a JOB.. which is illegal to discriminate against you for pre-existing conditions..

If you arent covered for 63 days.. FIND A NEW JOB thereby renewing the timeline..

Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why was national access necessary when the states already had it?
Depends on the State. In my state of Va. there were two plans. For one individual HIPAA at $2400 per month. BC/BS at $1600 per month with a catch--no benefit payed out until after the 11 month payment. I'm sure things have changed since I was confronted with these choices. Both these costs are more than the current pre-existing condition coverage.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,366,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You are out of your league on this topic pghquest. I know, I've been involved with exact issue pertaining to my wife. It does not rely on whether you are being denied employment because of illness. It is based solely on what the doctors say whether you can and should work or not. This may sound easy but for many chronic pain conditions that are poorly understood and ignored in this nation this is a huge undertaking to say the least.
Quote:
choking on lunch!
Choking on your lunch wont change facts.. Even if the medicaid/medicare dont cover things you wish they did, you dont rewrite healthcare across the nation to fix the few that needs covered but cant get coverage. you FIX what is broken.. You dont break everyones system to fix the minority of problems.. thats just stupid.

Again, my fiance has chrohns... I've delt with the issue for 15+ years.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,511,181 times
Quote:
And if you are not disabled, then you have a JOB.. which is illegal to discriminate against you for pre-existing conditions..

If you arent covered for 63 days.. FIND A NEW JOB thereby renewing the timeline..
Yeah, and if you're a lesser-educated blue collar person who happens to get one of the many JOBS out there today that provides NO HEALTH BENEFITS AT ALL - if you're lucky enough to even get that in these days of high unemployment - then what do you do for health insurance? Snap your fingers and make a wish?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 PM

89,800 posts, read 45,424,717 times
Quote:
Depends on the State. In my state of Va. there were two plans. For one individual HIPAA at $2400 per month. BC/BS at $1600 per month with a catch--no benefit payed out until after the 11 month payment. I'm sure things have changed since I was confronted with these choices. Both these costs are more than the current pre-existing condition coverage.
Referring back to the article linked in the OP... the high-risk plans "cannot charge more in premiums than the average premium for other individual insurance in a given state. But "the individual market is expensive," said Jean P. Hall, a University of Kansas researcher studying the new plans. "From my perspective, it is not a good match for people who have expensive conditions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies