Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,769,108 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I can open this post.
In negative case, please, close the thread.

I have read in many posts that in Texas there is an hight crime.

What's your think about "death sentence"?
Is it necessary?

I tell you this question because on TV they often talking about "death sentence" and in Italy there isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,837,916 times
I am extremely in favor of the death penalty. Recent studies prove it is a deterrent. I believe the recent spike in violent crime in the U.S is mostly due to the decline of the DP over the past few years. Today's criminals have nothing to fear because they know the system is on their side.

Since Texas uses the death penalty the most all I have to say is God Bless Texas. I will be a huge GW Bush fan my entire life because such a large number of killers were executed while he was govenor of that great state.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,713,310 times
So the penalty for being poor and on welfare should be death and that would be a major deterrent from being poor and wanting welfare? So many people are so very, very, bitter against the poor, you know.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,230,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So the penalty for being poor and on welfare should be death and that would be a major deterrent from being poor and wanting welfare? So many people are so very, very, bitter against the poor, you know.
Its alot easier than actually do something about taking them out of poverty...Lazy mans thinking i guess...

Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 PM

626 posts, read 995,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am extremely in favor of the death penalty. Recent studies prove it is a deterrent. I believe the recent spike in violent crime in the U.S is mostly due to the decline of the DP over the past few years. Today's criminals have nothing to fear because they know the system is on their side.

Since Texas uses the death penalty the most all I have to say is God Bless Texas. I will be a huge GW Bush fan my entire life because such a large number of killers were executed while he was govenor of that great state.
I am interested in seeing your "recent studies" that "prove" the death penalty is a deterrent.

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen. This is so completely short-sighted. This post completely ignores motivation. If you're going to claim the death penalty is a deterrent, then you have to discuss motivation.

Jay F claims that the death penalty reduces violent crime. So let's look at the facts. How many states execute those guilty of assault? That's a violent crime. How many states execute rapists? That's a violent crime. Is the death penalty a deterrent for either of these crimes? Absolutely not. It's not a factor, whatsoever.

Let's look at murder. There are many different motivations for murder. In order for the death penalty to be a deterrent, the crime must be premeditated. That excludes crimes of passion (which accounts for a large number of murders in this country). What about serial killers? Do you think the death penalty actually deters serial killers? Yeah, right. There is one classification of murders that is affected by the death penalty. Gang violence.

So Jay F, what you should argue is that the death penalty reduces gang violence because that is the only type of crime that is affected. The death penalty is irrelevant for all other crimes.

So, does Texas have less gang violence than other states? Since Texas started executing people left and right has gang violence decreased?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,787,854 times
I probably shouldn't touch this post with a ten foot pole, but against my better judgement, I'm going to jump in. I've never understood what people have against the death penalty. What should you do with a person who has committed a horrendous cime, been tried and convicted by a jury of their peers? Lock them up and house, feed, medicate them for the rest of their natural lives. Let's say they are in their twenties when they are sentenced. This can develop into quite a responsibility. This is a burden on the taxpayers which could have been better spent on programs which are designed to help the many deserving citizens of our state who are truly in need of help and who are striving against unspeakable odds to acheive their dreams and doing so without resorting to criminal activities.

Just because you are poor does not give you the right to commit crimes. It is sad that there are people who are hungry and yes, even starving, in this country. I know you not supposed to say what you would do in a certain circumstance unless you have actually been there, but I know people have options, even when it looks as if they don't. Sometimes one route is much more difficult and a long, hard road and the other route looks more appealng as it is much easier and quicker. It doesn't matter, right is right and wrong is wrong, whether you are rich or poor.

I know the bible says an eye for and eye and then it also says vengence is my sayth the Lord. I know it's hard to be black and white on subjects such as this, but in order to preserve our society, we have to make hard choices and this is one of them.There is a price to everything and people make choices knowing this, so I, for one, have no sympathy for those sitting on death row. My sympathy lies with the victims.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 AM

I never actually stated whether I'm for or against the death penalty. I'm in favor of it in extreme cases, like serial killers. I'm on the fence, in other cases.

My point was, people just assume that the death penalty reduces crime rates. This is actually not the case. There is absolutely no evidence that the death penalty deters crime in liberal (Western style rather than authoritarian) states (countries). I'm talking worldwide. You can be for the death penalty for all sorts of reasons, but saying it's a deterrent is a load of bull. It's not.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 AM

68,360 posts, read 54,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I probably shouldn't touch this post with a ten foot pole, but against my better judgement, I'm going to jump in. I've never understood what people have against the death penalty. What should you do with a person who has committed a horrendous cime, been tried and convicted by a jury of their peers? Lock them up and house, feed, medicate them for the rest of their natural lives. Let's say they are in their twenties when they are sentenced. This can develop into quite a responsibility. This is a burden on the taxpayers which could have been better spent on programs which are designed to help the many deserving citizens of our state who are truly in need of help and who are striving against unspeakable odds to acheive their dreams and doing so without resorting to criminal activities.

I have nothing against the death penalty. A 23 year old police officer was recently murdered dueng a routine traffic stop in NYC and I think it's a shame state law doesn't provide for similar treatment of the murderer but............from what I've read, a sentence of death, with all the appeals that go along with it these days actually winda up costing a state more than maintaining a prisoner for their natural life.

My personal view is that should I ever have an attack of severe stupid and become subject to life or death is that life without parole is a more severe punishment than death.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 AM

434 posts, read 1,739,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I missed something? Where did the poster you guys are attacking say anything about being on welfare or poor? All I saw was a reference to "criminals".

Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
I missed something? Where did the poster you guys are attacking say anything about being on welfare or poor? All I saw was a reference to "criminals".
The death penalty is applied to crimes commited almost exclusively by the poor. It's a death penalty on the poor, by proxy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies