Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania did not offer a high-risk pool to PA residents until August 2010, in response to the federally established temporary high-risk pool program.
Yes they did.. it was called adultbasic, available since 2002
Health Insurance
http://pahealthaccess.org/blog/adult...wheres-outrage

In addition, Pennsylvania law made it possible for individuals with pre-existing conditions to join the high risk poll established by BCBS, which is where my father got insurance. It wasnt cheap either, but it was available. The state gave BCBS tax exempt status in exchange for establishing the program.

Pennsylvania Health Insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times
In South Carolina, we have had high risk coverage as well - since 1989. As many of you recall, our Senators and Congressmen in South Carolina were quite against Obamacare. So, even our quite red state has this already. It is a myth that you can't get health insurance if you have a pre-existing condition. More difficult? Sure. Impossible? No.

SC Health Insurance Pool

Quote:
The South Carolina Health Insurance Pool (SCHIP) was created by the South Carolina General Assembly by Act 127 of 1989 in order to make health insurance coverage available to residents of South Carolina who are either unable to obtain health insurance because of a medical condition or whose premium for health coverage exceeds 150% of the Pool rate.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,878,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Nothing in the CBO indicates "MOST PEOPLES PREMIUMS" would go down.. In fact just the OPPOSITE..

I'd have a lot more respect for you if you'd just admit YOU WERE LIED TO.. instead of sitting here trying to justify the lies and spin them into truths..
The CBO indicated that premiums for health care insurance would rise. There is not enough cost saving to make them fall, slow down the rate of rising, yes. The CBO said nothing about "people's premiums", their analysis was about premiums that Ins Cos would likely charge. The ONLY people who addressed the "people's premiums"(what people would have to pay), is the Admin and those who worked at developing the Law. They, correctly, indicated that the subsidies for people who's incomes were less than $88k, would lower what amount they would have to pay. Most people in this Country earn less than $88k, most people will pay less for Ins than they would without the Law. In the example I provided earlier, that family of 4 would pay over $9000 less. If anything, the President may have understated how much the "people's premiums" will be lowered. I am sure you are aware of that, however you and some others, continue to lie about what the Law will do. I guess you have your reasons to do that, although, truth isn't one of them.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 AM

524 posts, read 1,037,496 times
Quote:
Yes they did.. it was called adultbasic, available since 2002
AdultBasic is not a high-risk pool. AdultBasic is a PA insurance program for low-income uninsured adults. You must be below a certain income, and you must have been without insurance for at least 90 days. It also has a waiting list of MORE THAN 440,000 people, so don't hold your breath waiting to get it.

Quote:
In addition, Pennsylvania law made it possible for individuals with pre-existing conditions to join the high risk poll established by BCBS, which is where my father got insurance. It wasnt cheap either, but it was available. The state gave BCBS tax exempt status in exchange for establishing the program.
I would argue that insurance that is "available," but completely out of reach financially, is NOT "available."

Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,971,975 times
BC/BS of Kansas City reported a 58% increase in sales this past year. Add to that the 21%+ rise in premiuims for catostrophic coverage as well as other plans and tell me that Obamacare wasn't a payback to the insurance lobby.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
AdultBasic is not a high-risk pool. AdultBasic is a PA insurance program for low-income uninsured adults. You must be below a certain income, and you must have been without insurance for at least 90 days. It also has a waiting list of MORE THAN 440,000 people, so don't hold your breath waiting to get it.

Quote:
I would argue that insurance that is "available," but completely out of reach financially, is NOT "available."
I agree. Whatever semantic argument people want to make, this is the reality for far too many people. Latest reports put the number of uninsured at over 50 million, many for the simple reason stated above.

The Uninsured: A Primer - Kaiser Family Foundation

Number Of Uninsured Americans Soars To Over 50 Million

Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,466,884 times
Quote:
I'm very familiar with them.. Do you know why they were rated AAA credit? Try looking it up..

And while you are there, make sure you lookup WHERE the defaults originated because hint.. it wasnt America.. The initial defaults began in Switzerland.. Did you know that? Did you know that the money crunch had nothing to do with CDO's or securitization, but had to do with companies borrowing to pay their daily operating expenses? Please educate me ooh wise one..
I'm not going to undertake the arduous task of trying to educate you. Get a Wall Street Journal subscription. But the short answer to the AAA credit thing is: because the agencies that rated this junk were paid by the same people whose assets they are rating, and it's not good for your pocketbook to tell your customer that his hot commodity he is asking you to rate is actually toxic crap - especially when he can take his business to one of the other ratings agencies. A large majority of those supposedly safe and high-quality AAA sub-prime backed assets are now downgraded to junk, so obviously someone was completely wrong about the underlying risk of the assets.

Here's an old Bloomberg article with quotes from people involved with it if you want more detail. Personally, I wont defend vermin who played these sorts of games that were obviously destined for disaster.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ax3vfya_Vtdo

/thread hijack

Last edited by ambient; 12-29-2010 at 07:34 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,615,828 times
Quote:
They were always able to purchase coverage even if it was high.. My fiance has chrohns, and my father has a rare disease that requires a $50K treatment monthly.. They both have insurance.. Stop pretending you cant get care with pre-existing conditions.

I dont care where you rest on a political spectrum. If you are wrong, you are wrong..

Those in the military have military insurance like tricare.

I have far more of a clue about the hardships of getting insurance as listed above than you can imagine. Again.. Just because you are an independent, it doesnt make you correct.. YOU ARE WRONG... you were wrong when you were babbling about people DYING in the streets as well, which is what started these replies..

Boy is the bull crap getting deep in here.. They are dying BECAUSE THEY ARE SICK.. No one is denied medical treatments in america. Get this straight and then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation..

They were always able to get care with pre-existing conditions. Stop pretending this isnt true

Again.. it will not... People were ALWAYS able to get care..

Your fiance has CROHNS DISEASE? really.....

Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,423,702 times
Texas offers an insurance pool for people who have been rejected by insurance companies for pre-existing conditions.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,384,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
From the Washington Post article:He was "floored?" Really? How much does he think health care costs, and who did he think was going to pay for it?
Why it would be paid for by most everyone's favorite sort of funding ... OPM!!!

Connecticut has had a high-risk pool for years before BO came on the scene, and it was expensive then as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies