Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,220,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I fly alot, and the only people I know who have problems with full-body security scanners are fat women and lesbians. Don't ask me why this is the case, but it's simply uncanny how those two demographics are the only ones I've ever heard complain. (I flew 23,000 air miles last year).
I'm not fat nor am I a lesbian. I am someone who cares about living in free society that doesn't trample constitutional rights under the false pretense of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM

9,149 posts, read 20,587,528 times
Wife and I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS with the scanners.......full body or whatever. It's a He** of a lot better than getting blown up/killed in a plane due to not having the security!!!!!! Bottom line is, if you don't want to be scanned or padded down........ DON'T FLY!! Now that sure was an easy one to figure out!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,220,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS with the scanners.......full body or whatever. It's a He* of a lot better than getting blown up/killed in a plane due to not having the security!!!!!! Bottom line is, if you don't want to be scanned or padded down........ DON'T FLY!! Now that sure was an easy one to figure out!
What are the chances of being clown up on a plane by terrorists? Hint: it's a lot lower then your chances of being struck by lightening.

You are aware that these scanners cannot detect weapons held in body cavities. Will you consent to routine blanket body cavity searches?

What if the terrorists decide to blow up shopping malls or grocery stores instead of airplanes? Will you be OK with submitting to full body scans every time you enter the local mall or grocery store? Will you tell those who aren't' to just stay home?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:25 PM

15,737 posts, read 10,569,723 times
Not to hijack this thread, but I must respond to DrummerBoy.

Your comment above was obviously intended to denegrate women, not to add to the discussion. What a catch you will be....on second thought.... I think perpetual singledom is your future with such a dislike of women.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,742,819 times
I don't believe the full body scan or pat down is necessary for the vast majority of people who fly. These new procedures feel a bit too Big Brother-ish to me. Whatever happened to the safe passenger program that would allow decent, law abiding people to forego all of this nonsense? Let's face it my parents, husband, kids, and I are not a threat to anyone.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:37 PM

313 posts, read 453,755 times
If the airports and craft cabins didn't have such a tendency to get so cold I'd say that we should all strip down to bare nothings and spare the hassles. Although I suppose they'd still want to scan our, uh. . . cavities.

It IS illegal search and seizure by the 4th Amendment.

But if this ends up forced down on us ~ and I assume it will ~ then EVERYBODY has to be subject to it. No exceptions, be it religion, age, or burkas.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,763,851 times
I'll bet the airlines will be singing the blues if it cuts down on air travel.

Oh, and Drummerboy? The entire news story I saw was about a MAN who videotaped his 'pat down'. I don't think he liked it too much.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM

9,368 posts, read 16,800,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
People who find nothing wrong with the new TSA invasion of our privacy certainly must not mind being seen totally naked, or not mind being molested by someone putting their hand totally into their crotch. I find it sickening. And I have to do that every time I go to work. (Metal pins in my shoulder as a result of an on the job injury)

What is next? Stirrups for a vaginal inspection? Proctologists at the ready to insert gloved fingers up one's tush? Stay tuned.
I feel the same way FlightAttendant and agree that body cavity searches will be the next step. As for the crew of a plane being forced into this, it is a total waste to time. If a pilot wants to bring a plane down, he/she isn't going to do it with explosives, just aim the plane towards the ground.

The terrorists must be laughing all over the caves at us. They have made us a society living in fear, spending outlandish amounts of money on precautions that are unrealistic. Next time they hit the US it will probably be from the ground, yet they have made us focus on the sky.

The underwear bomber and the recent bombs on planes came from OVERSEAS. Other countries are not spending ridiculous amounts of money to protect passengers. Maybe we need to focus on our borders and start profiling. If the government can put their hands on my crotch, breasts or junk and it is legal, they can profile legally. I want to see Janet Napolitano get her crotch patted down.

Last edited by Ellwood; 11-18-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,607,738 times
I'm really torn on this issue and can see the pros/cons of both sides.

A full body scan cameras is already being tested at our courthouse in Orlando. I don't have a problem with courthouses or airports using them....but I really wouldn't want the security guard at the bank or local grocery/retail store security having those same rights.

I find it a hard call since the thin line between safety and personal freedom seems to be shrinking continuously.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,964,651 times
Does anybody have an issue with full-body scanners at airports?

Well, since you asked, I do have an issue with the "presumption of guilt". All passengers are presumed to be guilty of being a terrorist until proven otherwise, and the scanner does not "PROVE" you are not a terrorist, it just proves you are not attempting to blow up "THIS" particular plane. Hummmmm, there was an idea tossed around by our founding fathers, something about "presumption of innocence". They can come up with all the rationalizations they wish, but they are still presuming guilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies