Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,623,550 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't everyone have access to free/low cost heating? Shouldn't everyone be able to turn their furnace up to 70...72 degrees in the wintertime regardless of heating costs?

Shouldn't everyone be able to set their AC to 68 in the summer regardless of their costs?

Should it matter how big/small our house is? Should it matter how much insulation we have or how good of windows/weatherizing we've done on our houses?

Personal responsibility should be irrelevant! There are people dying from lack of heat and cooling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
Why should personal responsibility be irrelevant?

There are a number of charities and utility companies that help the low income afford utilities/coats/air conditioners. Perhaps people should do a better job taking care of their own family members and making certain they neither die from the heat nor freeze to death.

There is no "right" to comfort or utilities.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

There are a number of charities and utility companies that help the low income afford utilities/coats/air conditioners. Perhaps people should do a better job taking care of their own family members and making certain they neither die from the heat nor freeze to death.

I think the OP was being sarcastic.. I really hope they were....

Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I hope you realize I was being somewhat satirical. All of the arguments I proposed for it are similar to what we hear in the Health Care debate.

By imposing gov't control on healthcare, you are being penalized if I'm fat, overweight and need heart surgery that's paid for by tax payers. If I smoke cigarettes for 40 years and get cancer...you shouldn't have to pay for that.

You also should not be restricted from buying better care if you want. Just like we should all be able to upgrade our furnace if we want and/or winterize our homes.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
I knew that, I was just expounding and arguing the point before the entitlement whiners arrived.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,429,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Shouldn't everyone have access to free/low cost heating? Shouldn't everyone be able to turn their furnace up to 70...72 degrees in the wintertime regardless of heating costs?

Shouldn't everyone be able to set their AC to 68 in the summer regardless of their costs?

Should it matter how big/small our house is? Should it matter how much insulation we have or how good of windows/weatherizing we've done on our houses?

Personal responsibility should be irrelevant! There are people dying from lack of heat and cooling!
No!
And yes, everyone is able to turn their furnance up to 70, 72 if you want (actually, mine is sitting at 75 right now)
You want bigger government? That is insane. The government is in our business too much. It shouldn't be up to the government to provide products and services to us, because in the end, the "cost" will be much more than anyone should have to bear (besides financially, we would owe the government everything we own to include our freedom.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
No!
And yes, everyone is able to turn their furnance up to 70, 72 if you want (actually, mine is sitting at 75 right now)
You want bigger government? That is insane. The government is in our business too much. It shouldn't be up to the government to provide products and services to us, because in the end, the "cost" will be much more than anyone should have to bear (besides financially, we would owe the government everything we own to include our freedom.
Aren't you just being cold and heartless? There will be millions that die or go bankrupt because they can't pay!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,429,603 times
Actually, no, I am quiet warm thank you

Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Actually, no, I am quiet warm thank you
But others will be dying because they can't pay!!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,039,968 times
people who can't pay should be fined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies