Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 AM

157 posts, read 677,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
You know, rockx, not all Orange County, Republican, Newport Beach-born Whites are biggots.

I match that description, and I am not a racist in thought or action.
I appreciate all that you say, you're blunt and you call it like you see it.

But be careful how far you go with it. You might see me, and make a lot of incorrect assumptions based on what you see. And that's pretty much just what you're preaching against, isn't it?

The only thing I'm lacking to make you're perfect "white OC biggot" profile would be the BMW. I have a Honda Civic.

I appreciate where your heart is, my wife is also non-white (filipina). If someone were to make comments about her, I'd have been a lot less restrained than you were. But go easy on us white people. We're not all as sholes.
Congrats, I have no idea how you can enjoy living amongst the many here that are this way though. I guess I just can't take it, too much ignorance in NB for me. Maybe I have lived in better places and I realize how bad it really is here.

BTW, I also drive a Honda, white, live in NB and not a racist bigot...but I am leaving this 'clone zone'.

Last edited by rockx; 07-26-2007 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
I take offense at that. I live in a small N. Ga. town, and for the past few years, have worked with mostly Mexican building crews. I don't see them being treated any differently than anybody else. Nor do I hear jokes or derogatory comments about them when I'm in all-white groups. Maybe the OC is filled with people who think their money should insulate them from blackness or brown-ness?
I have been to GA a lot: Macon, Athens, and the Atlanta area, I find the people very nice however, very segregated.

I don't want to steer this thread off-track but you did know that GA is the last state to have an Integrated High school Prom this year, 2007?

Students attend school's first integrated prom in ASHBURN, Georgia (CNN)
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/04/23/turner.prom/story.prom.cnn.2.jpg (broken link)

I think OC is even worse than this though, because at least in GA it is known as such. But OC is considered by many around the US as an "integrated" best place to live!!!

No racism here in OC...nope just a bunch of open minded Californians - (sarcasm)

Last edited by rockx; 07-26-2007 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 AM

499 posts, read 2,168,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
Congrats, I have no idea how you can enjoy living amongst the many here that are this way though. I guess I just can't take it, too much ignorance in NB for me. Maybe I have lived in better places and I realize how bad it really is here.

BTW, I also drive a Honda, white, live in NB and not a racist bigot...but I am leaving this 'clone zone'.
The wife, kids and I *and* my Honda are all moving to Houston in the next couple months. Which is why we discovered these boards in the first place. I asked so many questions on the Houston board, I figured I'd come here and help someone from the other end of things.

you make a good point, and leave me thinking. If the racism bothers me, why am I still here? I've always felt that California is my home, I am 5th generation born here, my children are 6th. I have always been proud of my home. I'm not so old, I can remember when places like Mission Viejo and Irvine were not even incorporated cities. I remember when Rancho Santa Margarita was cattle land. I always thought it was my home, and the others should leave

But now? I won't say I'm leaving due to racism, but I am sick of this place. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's like a dysfunctional relationship whose "good points" no longer outweigh its "bad points"

Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Send me a PM and let me know how you like Texas

Old 07-26-2007, 10:39 AM

294 posts, read 1,092,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
Jonah (I apologize for the misspelling)

That is a very racist question that person asked, it doesn't surprise me about someone in OC 1 bit. People think racism is somehow funny here.

However, you had a very clever reply, nice.
Its amazing how you attitude changed when you found out he wasn't white, no who's the racist? would you have apologised if he was white?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
Its amazing how you attitude changed when you found out he wasn't white, no who's the racist? would you have apologised if he was white?
Of course I would have, I misspelled the name.

BTW...I am white!!! I got nothing against white people lol. However, I do have something against white a-hole, elitist, racists.

My attitude changed because Jonah is now getting the drift of the thread.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 27,967 times
So where is everyone moving to? I'd like to know some better places besides OC.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,486,276 times
I will not deny that Orange County has a problem with racism, particularly toward Mexicans. Mexican people don't bother me at all. They work hard for a living and I respect them for that. I too had to work hard to get to where I am today. I was born in a twenty foot trailer in Indiana and my mom often could only give us bacon for dinner. I find the hard work Mexicans do respectable and hope everyone of them can get a college education and make the most out of their lives. The fact that other people in this county stereotype against them is unfair, but I think fueled by the thought that whites will be outnumbered. I have been there as a poor white and am glad I am not there anymore. Mexicans deserve to not be poor just as much as anyone else and I hope they will get to the point where they most can progress from twenty people to an apartment to a nice single family home.

In response to Orange County being the most racist place around, there a loads of other places just as bad. I love this thread by NEW YORKERS who think they are so tolerant and cultural diverse. Read it and see how they slam tourist who help their economy and then particularly target Asian ones. Yah, I think these New Yorkers are really tolerant. Read it....
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...st-idiots.html

Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 PM

You know what NYC is not considered one of the most racially integrated places to live in the US either, OC is #1...I find it hard to believe.

Here are the rankings according to the 2000 US CENSUS.

The 10 Least Segregated Cities (in order from one to ten):
Orange County California
San Jose
Norfolk-Virginia Beach
Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater
San Diego
Providence, Fall River, Warwick
Seattle, Bellevue, Everett
San Antonio
Oakland, CA
San Francisco

Top 10 Most Segregated Cities (in order from one to ten):
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
St. Louis
Newark
Cincinnati
Buffalo-Niagara Falls
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
(tie) New Orleans and Kansas City

My findings:
Integration does not mean less racism.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:16 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,515,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
The wife, kids and I *and* my Honda are all moving to Houston in the next couple months. Which is why we discovered these boards in the first place. I asked so many questions on the Houston board, I figured I'd come here and help someone from the other end of things.

you make a good point, and leave me thinking. If the racism bothers me, why am I still here? I've always felt that California is my home, I am 5th generation born here, my children are 6th. I have always been proud of my home. I'm not so old, I can remember when places like Mission Viejo and Irvine were not even incorporated cities. I remember when Rancho Santa Margarita was cattle land. I always thought it was my home, and the others should leave

But now? I won't say I'm leaving due to racism, but I am sick of this place. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's like a dysfunctional relationship whose "good points" no longer outweigh its "bad points"
You must also remember when Palmdale, Lancaster and Gleandale and many other towns were a nice places to live? and to many nice California towns are no more than ghettoes today, And not even safe to drive down the street.
And people wonder why there is racism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies