Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM

157 posts, read 677,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Ok , What are you. Why don't they like you.
My guess would be: other than white republican, since he/she posted it in the racism thread.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,296,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga78ca View Post
I have a PhD and two Master's degrees from top US universities, but am treated as a second-class citizen even by cashiers at the local grocery store in Orange County. I make more than the average person here, am highly educated, and intelligent but apparently that counts for nothing in Orange County. I'll be leaving Orange County soon. No point wasting my time here.
That's too bad. I only have a J.D. from a second-rate law school and most people in Orange County treat me with the utmost respect. If a cashier doesn't smile and greet me properly, I'll ask if they are having a bad day. If they aren't having a bad day, they will after I speak with their manager.

A few "verbal judo" or "tactical communications" courses might come in handy somewhere down the line. It doesn't matter how educated you are or how much money you earn if you don't know how to use it to your advantage.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's too bad. I only have a J.D. from a second-rate law school and most people in Orange County treat me with the utmost respect. If a cashier doesn't smile and greet me properly, I'll ask if they are having a bad day. If they aren't having a bad day, they will after I speak with their manager.

A few "verbal judo" or "tactical communications" courses might come in handy somewhere down the line. It doesn't matter how educated you are are how much money you earn if you don't know how to use it to your advantage.
He/she probably has felt the racism here in OC you know? Since this thread is about racism here..

Johan, you are probably white right?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 27,937 times
Why does it matter what I am? It shouldn't.....and yes, I've felt a lot of racism here.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,296,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
He/she probably has felt the racism here in OC you know? Since this thread is about racism here..

Johan, you are probably white right?
Although a few of my ancestors came from Ireland and England, most of them are Native Hawaiian. Depending on how much I've been in the sun and how long my hair is, I've been mistaken for Latino, American Indian, Tahitian, Pilipino, Samoan, Tongan, Maori, Chamorro, Italian, Greek, African American, Fijian and a host of other ethnicities.

While I don't go around looking for evidence of racism in every interaction, I tactfully deal with it if I'm confronted by it.

Once, when I was minding my own business at South Coast Plaza, a middle-aged, European American guy tried telling me a joke..."What do you call do you call a black guy that starts with an 'N' and ends with an 'R'?"

I replied with a question of my own..."What do you call an old fart that starts with an 'M' and ends with an 'F'?"

Looking a little perplexed, he replied, "Well, the answer to my question is 'neighbor' what's the answer to yours?"

I replied, "Oh darn, that 'F' belongs in the the middle. I never was that great at spelling."

Cheers,

Jonah "not Johan" K

Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM

Jonah (I apologize for the misspelling)

That is a very racist question that person asked, it doesn't surprise me about someone in OC 1 bit. People think racism is somehow funny here.

However, you had a very clever reply, nice.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,511,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga78ca View Post
I have a PhD and two Master's degrees from top US universities, but am treated as a second-class citizen even by cashiers at the local grocery store in Orange County. I make more than the average person here, am highly educated, and intelligent but apparently that counts for nothing in Orange County. I'll be leaving Orange County soon. No point wasting my time here.
You seem to proud about your schooling, And like everyone to know all about it. But resprct is earned and doesn't come with some degree.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
hey tanyatt,

could you elaborate on some of the reactions?
OK, I would say Like Second class treatment.

In Boston I never received a bad look, but in Laguna I feel them all the time, especially at restaurants and malls where white people are serving me. I think white people here have a problem waiting on someone who looks hispanic.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 AM

483 posts, read 2,100,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
... OC is worse than Georgia IMO. There aren't even any black people here.
I take offense at that. I live in a small N. Ga. town, and for the past few years, have worked with mostly Mexican building crews. I don't see them being treated any differently than anybody else. Nor do I hear jokes or derogatory comments about them when I'm in all-white groups. Maybe the OC is filled with people who think their money should insulate them from blackness or brown-ness?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM

499 posts, read 2,165,895 times
You know, rockx, not all Orange County, Republican, Newport Beach-born Whites are biggots.

I match that description, and I am not a racist in thought or action.
I appreciate all that you say, you're blunt and you call it like you see it.

But be careful how far you go with it. You might see me, and make a lot of incorrect assumptions based on what you see. And that's pretty much just what you're preaching against, isn't it?

The only thing I'm lacking to make you're perfect "white OC biggot" profile would be the BMW. I have a Honda Civic.

I appreciate where your heart is, my wife is also non-white (filipina). If someone were to make comments about her, I'd have been a lot less restrained than you were. But go easy on us white people. We're not all as sholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies