Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 PM

91 posts, read 140,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockx View Post
Like I have said before, I am white, my wife is mexican american we are an educated, well dressed and well spoken couple living in Newport Beach for the last 10 months. Here are some things I have seen first hand in this small amount of time.

Wives Car crash
My Wife who holds 2 B.S. Degrees, makes 6 figures and drives a brand new car. She gets into an accident on PCH and Bayside in Newport. The lady runs to my wives window and starts yelling racist remarks and then, she asks if she speaks english and has insurance?

The bar at the Irvine Crown Plaza:
An older white guy at the bar sits down and turns to me and my friend then says "you guys will like this bartender, he is the smartest mexican, and there are a lot of dumb mexicans in OC". He said this right in front of him too...I just told him my wife is mexican and probably makes more than you.

Mortons in Costa Mesa:
Nice Steak house, expensive dinner, my wife and I are dressed nicely. We get sat down start ordering (My wife speaks perfect english, born in the US, no accent).

The party at the next table starts speaking very loudly, and the White guy and the wives are laughing while saying: "Damn they let wetb***s in here now?" "hahaha", "see this is what is wrong with this country". So I turn to him and ask him who he is directing this talk to? He says "oh nobody, haha"

Summary:
We never have felt this type of direct humiliation anywhere we have lived, in Florida, New York, San Francisco or even San Diego.

This is OC's racism, today. It is not just a status or class thing.
This is a damn shame! I live in silicon valley and I'm black. I had a phone interview with a firm in OC, and I felt that their central concern was that I be a republican. I've never been to OC, but I've heard from many people about the racism there. Certainly a place to stay away from.

Kudos to you for marrying outside your race. Although the experience was bad, you can take solace in the fact that at least you are not black. Then you would really be taken to another level in being the object of racism.

Best of luck.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 59,086 times
"Yeah, OC is a very racist county. It may not be everywhere and visible but it is there, especially in the beach communities and southern OC."

Welcome to George Bush's America.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 59,086 times
[
Racism is not county specific, to get back to the original topic. You will find it in every county or state or county. Different races have different issues. You could have just as easily heard those comments in any county.

Good luck in the silicon valley.[/quote]

I agree for the most part. Unfortunately, we consciously think that in somewhat sophisticated, upper middle class to wealthy areas of the country that proper breeding and education gives its inhabitants a natural immunity to these highly ignorant an UNEDUCATED views. We expect racist individuals to be from the stereotypical areas like the South or Midwest. When it occurs in an affluent metropolitan area we become even more apalled and disgusted because we expect more from these individuals because they should know better. Unfortunately, racism is a sad characteristic of society and will be for many generations to come.
I lived in a very conservative, mostly white, and affluent area near Sacramento (Placer County) and saw the exact same blatant and not so obvious racist attitudes there.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:50 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbloo View Post
I agree for the most part. Unfortunately, we consciously think that in somewhat sophisticated, upper middle class to wealthy areas of the country that proper breeding and education gives its inhabitants a natural immunity to these highly ignorant an UNEDUCATED views. We expect racist individuals to be from the stereotypical areas like the South or Midwest. When it occurs in an affluent metropolitan area we become even more apalled and disgusted because we expect more from these individuals because they should know better. Unfortunately, racism is a sad characteristic of society and will be for many generations to come.
I lived in a very conservative, mostly white, and affluent area near Sacramento (Placer County) and saw the exact same blatant and not so obvious racist attitudes there.
Sometimes, "education" reinforces racist views. Quite a few college and university campuses have "fraternities" and "sororities" that often separate people by race and class, instead of uniting them. In addition, many colleges and universities have ethnic organizations, like MeChA (broken link) (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan), that aren't particularly welcoming to "outsiders." So while most of these so-called "educated" individuals may have had an opportunity to become enlightened about different peoples and cultures, many probably squandered it and ended up in places like Orange County.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 408,845 times
I grew up in North Orange County in the sixties and seventies, and we moved out of that area in the late 80's to the Inland Empire so that we could afford a home on one income. We can afford to move back now, but we're staying here.

During my childhood my best friend and I had the distinction of being the only children in our class whose parents were Democrats. (I'm a fair-haired WASP, and she's Jewish.) Yes, we used to stage elections in class, so we knew where our parents' allegiances stood. I hated it. My parents were transplanted people from L.A. County, by the way.

In my high school there were perhaps two black families, and a handful of very assimilated Hispanic families. I never had a friend outside my ethnic group until I went to college.

Racism in Orange County? I've witnessed it over and over. I grew up in the part of my city that is still known to be very white. The children in the other end of town went to the 'other' high school upon which most looked down with disdain.

My parents still live in the city. One of their neighbors recently complained to my mom about the fact that so many 'Mexicans' were moving into their tract. The homes in their tract cost upwards of $700,000. My mom thankfully spoke up on behalf of the Hispanic people who'd moved near them. My dad has always said he'd like to sell their home to a black family so that he could 'shake things up' among his racist neighbors.

A family member just moved from a small condo in Fountain Valley to a large, new home in Lake Elsinore. The first thing her boss said was, "Oh my goodness. There are nothing but Mexicans out there!" I guess he forgot that this particular family member is part Mexican.

One time a few years ago a male Hispanic colleague and I shared a meal together in Orange County. We were met with glares and many unfriendly remarks. I think if you've never been in this situation, it's rather surprising when you do experience it. It's easy to say, "Oh, you imagined it." You can say that until you've been there, and are shocked by it. We never experienced this sort of treatment in Western L.A. County, nor in the Inland Empire.

Even though I miss the fact that in general Orange County is a safer place to live than out here, I don't miss the snobby, racist attitudes I've observed there.

That's been my experience with Orange County, although I realize there are many others in Orange County with more inclusive attitudes.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM

157 posts, read 675,568 times
SoCal Person, wow I couldn't even imagine growing up a democrat in OC. My dad would also sell his house to a black family just to spice it up a bit.

I think the people that come to these boards and say "everything is fine in OC", are White Republicans who never hang out with anybody but White Republicans.

My disgust grows daily living here, I am just disgusted to live in the OC amongst these people, but at the same time I am just happy I didn't grow up so closed minded. People in OC have tunnel vision.

This place is backwards.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM

451 posts, read 836,008 times
Quote:
Like I have said before, I am white, my wife is mexican american we are an educated, well dressed and well spoken couple living in Newport Beach for the last 10 months. Here are some things I have seen first hand in this small amount of time.

Wives Car crash
My Wife who holds 2 B.S. Degrees, makes 6 figures and drives a brand new car. She gets into an accident on PCH and Bayside in Newport. The lady runs to my wives window and starts yelling racist remarks and then, she asks if she speaks english and has insurance?

The bar at the Irvine Crown Plaza:
An older white guy at the bar sits down and turns to me and my friend then says "you guys will like this bartender, he is the smartest mexican, and there are a lot of dumb mexicans in OC". He said this right in front of him too...I just told him my wife is mexican and probably makes more than you.

Mortons in Costa Mesa:
Nice Steak house, expensive dinner, my wife and I are dressed nicely. We get sat down start ordering (My wife speaks perfect english, born in the US, no accent).

The party at the next table starts speaking very loudly, and the White guy and the wives are laughing while saying: "Damn they let wetb***s in here now?" "hahaha", "see this is what is wrong with this country". So I turn to him and ask him who he is directing this talk to? He says "oh nobody, haha"

Summary:
We never have felt this type of direct humiliation anywhere we have lived, in Florida, New York, San Francisco or even San Diego.

This is OC's racism, today. It is not just a status or class thing.
My BS detector is going off. I have been to all of the places you mentioned on top of that I was born and raised in Orange County and I can't think of any racist incidents in my 40yrs.

Are you making this up or is there more to the story?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
My BS detector is going off. I have been to all of the places you mentioned on top of that I was born and raised in Orange County and I can't think of any racist incidents in my 40yrs.

Are you making this up or is there more to the story?
Yeah, I sit around and make up stories.

These are 100% true, your BS detector fails you.

Are you white? Do you hang out with people other than white people?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,264,151 times
Quote:
I think the people that come to these boards and say "everything is fine in OC", are White Republicans who never hang out with anybody but White Republicans.

My disgust grows daily living here, I am just disgusted to live in the OC amongst these people, but at the same time I am just happy I didn't grow up so closed minded. People in OC have tunnel vision.

This place is backwards.
Perhaps, your living in the wrong part of Orange County.

One of my best friends moved to Fullerton from Maui and he's never had any problems with racism there. If it's of any importance, he happens to be a life-long Democrat whose ancestors originally hailed from the Ilocos Norte region of the Philippines.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Perhaps, your living in the wrong part of Orange County.

One of my best friends moved to Fullerton from Maui and he's never had any problems with racism there. If it's of any importance, he happens to be a life-long Democrat whose ancestors originally hailed from the Ilocos Norte region of the Philippines.
I live in Newport Beach, yes it is definitely the worst area, but I pointed out places outside of NB too. It is all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies