Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,537 times

Advertisements

I completely agree with Rockx. I stayed in Irvine (Orange County) for two months and was astounded to encounter racism practiced openly and subtlety. Shopping at Ralph’s was a nightmarish experience having to deal with rude sales people and cashiers who glared at you as if asking, " What are you doing shopping here?" Even attending church was not without incidents of receiving hostile, demeaning stares. A visit to Newport Beach revealed that a large section of the beach was occupied by whites while at the very end in a smaller part were the Mexicans and Asians. .
A common tactic used was that if they(people) saw you coming in their direction in the supermarket aisle, they would turn their trolleys and head in the other direction.
I am an outgoing person but became hesitant to venture outside and when I did, I had to keep reminding myself not to make eye contact with others. Yes, racism is very much alive in Orange County, mixed with arrogance and lack of common courtesy.
Anyone is free to comment of my views but no one can change my racist experience in Orange County CA.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 PM

17 posts, read 77,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLQ View Post
Racists views often stem from displaced social discrimination against poor, uneducated people who usually include the worst citizens due to upbringing and environment regardless of race. Ignorant people target the race. There are rich and poor people in every country. For example, in Philippines, there is the "brain drain" where many educated Filipinos come to LA/OC for better career opportunities than Philippines. I have rarely heard racist comments directed towards Filipinos here perhaps because they are of higher status. On the other hand, in Hawaii, the Filipinos moved from poor villages in the Philippines to work on the sugar cane fields. They were the poorest of the poor and were often treated as second class citizens back in the sugar cane days. Eventually, there was a governor of Hawaii who was Filipino and more are rising to the top. With time, people progress. Women and black people are discriminated against all the time but one might be our next President of the United States. There is equal opportunity for all and that is the foundation of our country. We need to build people up and stop tearing people down. We all have a purpose in this world so we need to stop acting we are better than others regardless of race, culture, religion, gender, social class. Just have a softer heart and love all...the human race. We are all the same and will eventually be one big melting pot where we can't tell the difference in our race kind of like how it is in Hawaii. I am of mixed ethnicity and am glad to be a part of this process. Race does not matter...it is culture and we can form our culture into a warm, loving nation. That's how it should be.
What an awesome Quote!! hear hear!!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 AM

157 posts, read 677,396 times
Mods??? Why would this get moved from Orange County after 11 pages? You have basically suffocated the thread in some non-read area.

I don't see how this is general at all when it happened in Orange County, CA.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 PM

156 posts, read 152,516 times
The thread was going good until you decided to call some person a racist. That was uncalled for name calling and you should apologize to the person. I believe that could possibly be the reason it got moved to the politcal forum, though I could be wrong.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM

264 posts, read 698,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Junkie View Post
The thread was going good until you decided to call some person a racist. That was uncalled for name calling and you should apologize to the person. I believe that could possibly be the reason it got moved to the politcal forum, though I could be wrong.
I believe there's a "no personal attacks" rule for all the forums...

Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM

156 posts, read 152,516 times
I did not attack anyone. I merely answered his question, to the best of my ability, that he asked about why the thread got moved. He did attack though, another person all together.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
When did I call anyone a racist? Thanks for the neg rep though.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM

264 posts, read 698,403 times
Quote:
I did not attack anyone. I merely answered his question, to the best of my ability, that he asked about why the thread got moved. He did attack though, another person all together.
I didn't mean to imply that you did attack anyone. I understood that you were referring to someone else's personal attack.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 PM

562 posts, read 667,166 times
Why do people start in on illegal comments, and "where's his 20 kids" and so forth? Because the Legitimate mexicans and other Legitimate immigrants didn't stand up and say something about all the trash illegals coming in screwing everything up. They are getting lashed out at for the actions of the others. Keep those illegals in check in the first place, and this kind of crap would never have happened. My wife is Mexican, and she is a Citizen of the U.S. and does NOT support illegals. Illegals mess it up for those who did it the right way.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Why do people start in on illegal comments, and "where's his 20 kids" and so forth? Because the Legitimate mexicans and other Legitimate immigrants didn't stand up and say something about all the trash illegals coming in screwing everything up. They are getting lashed out at for the actions of the others. Keep those illegals in check in the first place, and this kind of crap would never have happened. My wife is Mexican, and she is a Citizen of the U.S. and does NOT support illegals. Illegals mess it up for those who did it the right way.
My thread has nothing to do with illegals. This is really about Orange County, CA which is perceived by many as a highly integrated area of United States of which I have found to be very racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies