Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,522,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong.. people pay for cable, the content on that cable is up to the distributors and networks. If cable customers dont like the content then they have an obligation to leave cable and move to other providers of content.

You dont pay for channels, you pay for tv access.. You can thank government for that because they require channels to be bundled, unlike other countries where you DO pay for channels...
I never knew that. I always thought if I were a cable provider I would offer some type of al a carte channel line up. And make a freakin' killing. I just figured the technology wasn't there to do it.

Of all people I should have known it was government intrusion into the marketplace that was the cause.

You'd think the libs would fix this injustice. They say they are all about freedom and choice. Guess that is just campaign talk.

Thanks democrats for denying my human right to get the Big Ten Network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,522,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Honestly speaking, the cable company should not pay a cent for the local stations that have an over the air signal using public airwaves. Nor should they be allowed to charge you for them. Those channels should be free and open to anybody.
They are free and open to anybody.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,603,477 times
Quote:
On the contrary. The founding fathers only allowed those of "nobility" to govern. Thats why they limited voting to white males, who owned property. ...
The Constitution was written OF, BY, and FOR THE PEOPLE. It allows for AMENDMENTS . That is why USA Constitution is a living document, not something locked up with cobwebs on it for 223 years.

Special Interests and Oligarchists want to overthrow rule OF BY AND FOR THE PEOPLE . In other words they want to render ratified Constitution null & void and go back to rule by men, instead of rule by law.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,023,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
The Constitution was written OF, BY, and FOR THE PEOPLE. It allows for AMENDMENTS . That is why USA Constitution is a living document, not something locked up with cobwebs on it for 223 years.

Special Interests and Oligarchists want to overthrow rule OF BY AND FOR THE PEOPLE .
More accurately the Constitution doesn't support your position so in your opinion it should become a living document so that it can be modified to your liking.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,252,507 times
Quote:
You'd think the libs would fix this injustice. They say they are all about freedom and choice. Guess that is just campaign talk.
They are about freedom and choice and they want the freedom of that A la Carte choice for rights and services from the government. And they want that full cart of choices bundled in one big tax bill, at everyone's expense.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
More accurately the Constitution doesn't support your position so in your opinion it should become a living document so that it can be modified to your liking.
The Constitution most certainly supports my position on this thread...THE COMMERCE CLAUSE. I alone cannot change that!

Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,374,607 times
Quote:
On the contrary. The founding fathers only allowed those of "nobility" to govern. Thats why they limited voting to white males, who owned property. ]
Responsible stakeholders.

They didn't prohibit everybody from acquiring a stake.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,023,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
The Constitution most certainly supports my position on this thread...THE COMMERCE CLAUSE. I alone cannot change that!
It's already been pointed out that you're selectively reading only a portion of The Commerce Clause to support your position.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,632,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You are wrong. The TV spectrum was NOT auctioned. Cellular and other spectrum was. The TV spectrum was GIVEN to the stations in the form of a license to use them to "serve the public interest". So you have a RIGHT to those channels. Cable and satellite merely pick those channels up off the air and send them into your home along with the other cable channels that do not use public airwaves and therefore are not a RIGHT. But my local Fox affilate, channel 5, is a FREE station and I do have a RIGHT to see it whether I use an antenna and pluck the signal from the air of I get it on cable. Fox should have NO right to demand a dime of payment from anybody for that channel but the people who pay to advertise on it. That is not me making that but the LAW and they are breaking the terms of their license which require that they operate in the public interest. It is not in the public interest for FOX to deny viewers that station and the FCC should make it clear to them that such action MAY result in fines or a license loss.
Well this is besides the point but I think it's in the public interest for nobody to watch that anti American trash talking News corp.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
It's already been pointed out that you're selectively reading only a portion of The Commerce Clause to support your position.
And I corrected that poster's erroneous position with my Constitutional response. (In additon, I also had to DEFINE the word commerce)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies