Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,586,643 times

Advertisements

That's not the freaking point. How do you like paying way more for drugs than I pay? The drug companies are still making money here just not as much that they make on the backs of Americans. It's a very simple concept to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 05:52 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
First of all they turn a profit because they sell ads. Channel 5 has been broadcasting LONG before cable or satellite TV was ever heard of. For most of that time it was the CBS affiliate here in Atlanta until CBS gave up the channel and moved to channel 46 so it become a Fox channel. So they have always made a profit there and probably a good one. It is just now that they are greedy and have decided that several million a year in ad profits just is not enough so they want to gouge the cable TV company who will ten pass the cost to the subscriber.
Secondly, I do not have the option of putting a TV antenna on the roof. We live in a strict HOA community and they frown on any antennas or satellite dishes that are visible on the home. And rabbit ears do not work here with digital TV. The towers on Briarcliff Rd are too far for me to get a decent signal that does not cut out all the time.
Finally the local Fox station is important to me because they are the only station that has local news at 10:00. All the others have news at 11:00 and when you have to get up for work at 5:30 AM, it is not an option to watch TV late at night. Typically I watch Fox 5 news at 10:00 and then watch Jay Leno from the night before on the DVR at 10:30 which allows me to sleep at 11:30. So by cutting off that signal, Fox is keeping me from getting my local news, weather and sports.
I am amazed. You come here all the time full of knowledge about everything and you don't know this, " In 1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted rules for over-the-air reception devices. The rules prohibit restrictions on a property owner or tenant's right to install, maintain or use an antenna to receive video programming from direct broadcast satellites, broadband radio services and television broadcast stations. However, there are exceptions to the rules, including provisions for safety and preservation of historic areas, according to the FCC Web site.
Dish antennas must be 39.37 inches or less in diameter. Under the rules, an owner or a tenant has the right to install an antenna on property that he owns or over which he has exclusive use or control. This includes single-family homes, condominiums, cooperatives, town homes and manufactured homes.
Finally, if you believe an antenna restriction is invalid, you can file a petition for declaratory ruling with the FCC. The petition should include a description of the facts, including the restriction you're disputing; contact information for all parties involved in the dispute; copies of the exact language of the restriction; and any relevant correspondence.

Landlords can restrict dishes

Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,454,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That's not the freaking point. How do you like paying way more for drugs than I pay? The drug companies are still making money here just not as much that they make on the backs of Americans. It's a very simple concept to understand.
Prescription drugs are more expensive in the US because of the governments involvement, but did you know that Generic drugs are cheaper in the US than Canada? Health News: Why brand-name drugs cost less in Canada, but generic drugs cost more | The eDrugSearch Blog

Honestly did I just ask if Lucknow actually speaks from a position of knowledge rather than directly out his rectum? Thats funny, because I should have known better, your ignorance is shining through again my friend...I actually feel sorry for you.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That is reality. Compare the prices of meds between the USA Canada. Yhey are way less here and the only reason they charge so much more in the USA is because they can.

Tell me,what is it about that you don't understand?
FALSE.. They charge more here because they have to provide insurance companies and ah.. government (cough) cheaper rates, cost shifting the expense onto others.. You also dont understand there is a HUGE difference between published price, and paying price..

If they charged more in america "because they can", they would also charge more in Canada "because they can".. If you own a patent, it cant be infringed upon regardless of what country its being sold..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,586,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Prescription drugs are more expensive in the US because of the governments involvement, but did you know that Generic drugs are cheaper in the US than Canada? Health News: Why brand-name drugs cost less in Canada, but generic drugs cost more | The eDrugSearch Blog

Honestly did I just ask if Lucknow actually speaks from a position of knowledge rather than directly out his rectum? Thats funny, because I should have known better, your ignorance is shining through again my friend...I actually feel sorry for you.
And I love U 2 LOL.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
Quote:
It looks like finally the government is doing what it should do and protecting the American public against the FAILURE of the PRIVATE sector! This is exactly the proper role of government- to regulate the private sector to protect the public from excessive profiteering.

FCC pushes Cablevision, Fox to settle - Entertainment News, Top News, Media - Variety

it is not the job of goverment to step in when a bank or business fails. that is in the pervue of the private sector.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:43 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,223,704 times
Technically speaking, the delegation of authority to regulate commercial use of radio transmissions that "trespass" upon private property is a legitimate exercise of power.

However, the abuse of the people, whose property is trespassed upon, for profit, is most grievous, especially when transmitted broadcasts are barred from the general public, via proprietary means.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,986 times
Except that such polcies have never worked in well-documented hellholes such as Hitler's Germany, Red China under Chairman Mao, or numerous countries in Africa which are overflowingwith precious resources such as oil, silver & gold, but are strangled by dictatorships

Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wow - with all the problems this country faces, why is the federal government wasting it's time and efforts on this kind of thing?
Don't be negative, malamute. The Federal Government has done some fantastic work in this last session with their tackling the nation-dividing issue of steroid use in baseball and meeting with world-renowned immigration policy expert Steven Colbert.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
Quote:
It looks like finally the government is doing what it should do and protecting the American public against the FAILURE of the PRIVATE sector! This is exactly the proper role of government- to regulate the private sector to protect the public from excessive profiteering.

FCC pushes Cablevision, Fox to settle - Entertainment News, Top News, Media - Variety

when the private sector fails, it is the duty of the goverment to stay out of the failure of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies