Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Being outside the USA it is with amusement that one notices people like Miller, Angle and the latest woman being put in by Republican voters.

Example, that bloke Miller, is against social security etc, now if I was an Alaskan voter on social security I would be asking myself do I want to take the risk of him pushing for my social security to be dumped.

From a Democrat point of view a extreme right wing type is what I would want as an opponent for then I could scare the elderly into believing that their social security, medicare etc etc, would disappear if the tea party type was elected.

So, how many of those tea party candidates are secret Democrats ?
Oh! I would just love that. Playing walking RW cliches.... Christine O'Donnell is quite competitive about it, staying in character long into the night. "She told The Weekly Standard that she returns at the end of the day to the town house 'and then we have our team come out and check all the bushes and check all the cars' to see if she is being followed by someone who might jeopardize her safety. Her opponents, she added, are also 'hiding in the bushes when I’m at candidate forums.'"

Now that's characterization!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Being outside the USA it is with amusement that one notices people like Miller, Angle and the latest woman being put in by Republican voters.

Example, that bloke Miller, is against social security etc, now if I was an Alaskan voter on social security I would be asking myself do I want to take the risk of him pushing for my social security to be dumped.

From a Democrat point of view a extreme right wing type is what I would want as an opponent for then I could scare the elderly into believing that their social security, medicare etc etc, would disappear if the tea party type was elected.

Interesting twist! lol

While, I don't believe they are undercover Democrats, I do believe they are harming the GOP Party. Most Americans are moderate, they don't like extremes on either side of the aisle. I hope the Tea Party Movement is just a fad, most of their followers are older people who I think are just lonely and the Tea Party gives them a sense of community lol.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
No, but many of the people they defeat are.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:

"Against social security"? Can you elaborate with a little context, or is that all you have?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:01 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
There is a book called, 'American Theocracy' by Kevin Phillips which goes into depth about this subject. Phillips is the Republican strategist who came up with Nixon's 'Southern Strategy' in 1968, fyi.

Phillips looked at voting patterns and found that those counties with the heaviest % of fundamentalists are the ones that trend solidly Republican, and that this relationship even extended down into the precinct level.

One thing that I don't know if foreign observers factor in is the amount of far-Right propaganda which is beamed into American homes each day via religious programs.

I've got cable (70 channels and nothing on), and in addition to the channel only devoted to religion, 7 other channels- from Discovery to local ones- give a significant part of their broadcast time to 'religious' shows, the vast majority of which include overt political messages. For example, the Catholic Bishop of the Madison, Wi, area used his broadcast to inform his followers ythat they would not be allowed communion if they supported Democratic candidates.

So, I'm convinceed that ALL denominations tax exemptions should end, as all are involved in Republican politics.

As far as what happens when the Tea Party takes over in November, well to understand that, you have to know the verdict of the Akre's case (I'll post it), and that of the newer Citizens United case, decided by the Supreme Court last year:

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...3/2D01-529.pdf

The former gives the media the 'right' to distort the news for finacial reasons. The latter removed restrictions that had been in place for over 100 years as to how much money corporations can give to candidates.

So, what you'll have is a pivot: where once everything was bad, and unemployment was high, the media, and the vast majority of politicans in the pockets of the multinats, will blow sunshine up the collective American rear.

And the sad part is- at first- most will buy it. Of course they'll be a new war to whip-up jingoism. Can't turn a crowd into a mob without some fresh blood on the tv screens.
Some of us with American relatives who live in what they call one of the more rational parts of the USA (New England) have seen the amount of religious programming there.
I imagine that is nothing compared to what is put out in the so called bible belt.

Another war ? against Iran ? or Turkey ? that would be interesting, the coalition of the willing would be rather thin for another war.

Could politicians in the USA sell the need for a draft ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies