Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM

8,658 posts, read 9,183,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I think the smart dems (is there any left?) should declare themselves independednt like Joe Lieberman. It may be there only chance at keeping their job. And, it's not like anybody else is hiring
It shouldn't be conceived as a job but the privilege to serve the public. Maybe this is the root of our problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,715,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It shouldn't be conceived as a job but the privilege to serve the public. Maybe this is the root of our problem?
Good point... I do think that Lieberman was on to something though. lets take my home state of Virginia. VA is considered a conservative state, but we also have "liberal" northern VA, A.K.A "DC south" We have 2 hardworking democratic senators who really know how to get things done. They are both moderates who have their liberal streaks every once in awhile.
Warner was a decent governor who actually embraced bipartisan compromise to solve budget and transportation issues. He knows how to play the game.
Webb is a former navy officer who pushed hard for the post 9-11 GI Bill, and has been a big advocate for military benefits.
Now, these 2 guys could lose their jobs just because they are in the wrong party.
While i don't agree with their liberal leaning views, I think they are valuable servants in a red state. They could rock the boat and go independent

Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,021,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Being outside the USA it is with amusement that one notices people like Miller, Angle and the latest woman being put in by Republican voters.

Example, that bloke Miller, is against social security etc, now if I was an Alaskan voter on social security I would be asking myself do I want to take the risk of him pushing for my social security to be dumped.

From a Democrat point of view a extreme right wing type is what I would want as an opponent for then I could scare the elderly into believing that their social security, medicare etc etc, would disappear if the tea party type was elected.

So, how many of those tea party candidates are secret Democrats ?
None.

I suggest you read a book called 'Coneservatives Without Conscience' by John Dean of Nixon Admin- Watergate-fame.

In it he details how the modern Republican Party has drifted into fascism.
That is what you are seeing in our domestic politics.

Any understanding of political affairs in the present-day US hinges on three related facts:

1. Americans do not (never have) understand their own political system. They treat it the way they treat a computer- if it doesn't work the way they think it should, they first cuss, then go buy a new one. Because their knowledge-base precludes them from fixing it themselves.

2. US is not in a recession- it is in a 30's-style depression. That official unemployment rate that you see splashed all over the news only counts 50% of those unemployed.

3. Mr. Obama ran as a Progresssive- a real candidate of change, as Progressives have not been in power in the Democratic Party since the 60's. But then, once elected Mr. Obama became just another Corporate Democrat- a defender of and promoter of the status quo.

So people are scared, angry, as none of the promised change has been delivered.

Hence, 'In the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.'- to quote H.G. Wells.

And hence the rise of the extreme fascists of the Tea Party- funded by the corporations- just as Krupp, et al, funded the Nazis. Although, the Teaers are just as crazy, but so-far, not as much of a menace.

Last edited by Geechie North; 09-15-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,963,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Being outside the USA it is with amusement that one notices people like Miller, Angle and the latest woman being put in by Republican voters.

Example, that bloke Miller, is against social security etc, now if I was an Alaskan voter on social security I would be asking myself do I want to take the risk of him pushing for my social security to be dumped.

From a Democrat point of view a extreme right wing type is what I would want as an opponent for then I could scare the elderly into believing that their social security, medicare etc etc, would disappear if the tea party type was elected.

So, how many of those tea party candidates are secret Democrats ?
i doubt that any tea party endorsed candidates are closet democrats, mostly because there are ways to tell if someone is not who they appear to be. listen to what they say, and you can catch them in lies about their political views because they tend to forget what they said even a few days before, so they tell a different lie.

as for the furor over social security, that had been going on here for decades now, and it is wearing thin. back in the 70's and 80's it was easy to get the elderly to vote for you by proclaiming that your opponent wants to eliminate social security, and that you are the one that wants to improve the system. these days that argument is much harder to make stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If i was living in the USA and in need of any government social program whether it be medical, social, financial or educational or what ever, i certainly would be concerned about the rhetoric i;m hearing from the Republican party as they seem to want to repeal the universal health care,eliminate old age security pensions,privatize all schools and basically make living in America a place for only the rich.
What we are seeing over there is probably quite historical as its not every day you get to see the slow decline of an empire,They just dont get it,instead of all working together to fix the problems they instead squabble about their precious political view points as the rest of the world passes them by as their once mighty ship sinks.
Sure glad i dont live there.
dont believe everything you hear from the liberal media spin machine. a republican says they want to reform social security, and the media spins it as the republican want to eliminate social security. same with the health care reform law. republicans say lets repeal the current reform law that screws everyone, and replace it real health care reform that makes sense. the media spins that as the same crap that alan grayson spouted when the health care reform law was being debated in the house;

"the republican plan for health care is, dont get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly" bull sierra. republicans want what is best for the country, and democrats want more power.

and you are right, the art of compromise in politics has gone the way of the dodo bird, for now anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, if only the Democrats were that politically astute.
you are kidding right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianMan View Post
I mentioned in another thread this is the most obvious election season.

Obvious in that the establishment on both sides of the aisle is urinating in their pants at the thought of losing power.

I am sure there are actions in both political machines ..I mean parties..to ensure their puppets.. I mean people win elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
very true. unfortunately it has been more than a century since politicians looked at public service as an honor.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,257,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't think that any TP candidates are Democrats, but I suspect there are quite a few Democrats voting in Repub primaries.
WTHeck? I don't think I get to vote in the repub primaries, because my name isn't on the list of those who get to vote. I know every state is a little different, but I have to sign in before I vote. Soooo, just how does that work with dems voting in repug primaries?

Why do people always try to blame the other side? What is this? 1st grade?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,963,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
WTHeck? I don't think I get to vote in the repub primaries, because my name isn't on the list of those who get to vote. I know every state is a little different, but I have to sign in before I vote. Soooo, just how does that work with dems voting in repug primaries?

Why do people always try to blame the other side? What is this? 1st grade?
some states have open primaries, so that anyone who is registered to vote, can vote for whom ever they wish. in other states people have been known to switch parties to either vote for someone who is unelectable in the general election, or make sure that the candidate they want to win the general wins the parties nomination.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM

22,238 posts, read 19,551,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
some states have open primaries, so that anyone who is registered to vote, can vote for whom ever they wish. in other states people have been known to switch parties to either vote for someone who is unelectable in the general election, or make sure that the candidate they want to win the general wins the parties nomination.

It might happen, but when it does it is very few. In 2008 Rush harped on trying to get Republicans to try and vote for Hillary in the Dem Primary thinking she would be the easier one to beat in the General and we saw how that worked out. In some of the bigger tea party upsets, Nevada, Delaware and Alaska, all have closed Primaries, and their have been no real indication that we have seen registered Democrats becoming Republican to vote for the weaker Republican.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,824,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i certainly would be concerned about the rhetoric i;m hearing from the Republican party as they seem to want to repeal the universal health care
How can you repeal something that doesn't exist? What we have is Obamacare which is different but has to be repealed nevertheless.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:06 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,491,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
You can't believe everything you hear. Sometimes politicians exaggerate their position so they can get elected
The main idea is that conservatives will crack down on wasteful spending, and bring people out of the (unemployment) closet. many businesses are standing on the sideline waiting for a republican led congress to give them the green light that it is ok to start hiring again.
So as a Democrat i'm not supposed to believe everything i hear unless its from a Republican insane logic.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:23 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,295,485 times
Why are the "Taxed Enough Already" party so angry?

The law is clear... they volunteered to be obligated. It's sad how few Americans (or Congress) bother to read the laws enacted.

I have yet to find a law that violates the natural and personal liberty of the free inhabitants domiciled within the boundaries of these united States of America. The government is their servant.

But those poor U.S. citizens / residents residing at residences, duly enrolled and enumerated "human resources", are voluntary serfs, obligated to perform for their masters, in government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies