Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,168,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
None.

I suggest you read a book called 'Coneservatives Without Conscience' by John Dean of Nixon Admin- Watergate-fame.

In it he details how the modern Republican Party has drifted into fascism.
That is what you are seeing in our domestic politics.

Any understanding of political affairs in the present-day US hinges on three related facts:

1. Americans do not (never have) understand their own political system. They treat it the way they treat a computer- if it doesn't work the way they think it should, they first cuss, then go buy a new one. Because their knowledge-base precludes them from fixing it themselves.

2. US is not in a recession- it is in a 30's-style depression. That official unemployment rate that you see splashed all over the news only counts 50% of those unemployed.

3. Mr. Obama ran as a Progresssive- a real candidate of change, as Progressives have not been in power in the Democratic Party since the 60's. But then, once elected Mr. Obama became just another Corporate Democrat- a defender of and promoter of the status quo.

So people are scared, angry, as none of the promised change has been delivered.

Hence, 'In the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.'- to quote H.G. Wells.

And hence the rise of the extreme fascists of the Tea Party- funded by the corporations- just as Krupp, et al, funded the Nazis. Although, the Teaers are just as crazy, but so-far, not as much of a menace.
To me the biggest difference between the USA and other so called first countries voting patterns is the way religion plays such a large part in how people vote in the USA.

Calling Obama a Muslim works like a charm because so many want to believe it, notice in the UK Blair kept his religious beliefs well hidden because UK voters would never put up with a PM who stated he talked to god each day.

And because of their religious beliefs a lot of US voters will vote against their own interests, it is rather strange to see people ranting about unions when they do not belong to one and are on the US minimum wage.

A depression, yep, agree with that, notice how the USA spent it's way out of the last depression by producing material needed for WW2.

I wonder what will happen to unemployed tea party supporters in a year time when they are still unemployed, would they blame Congress if the Republicans are in charge ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,221,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think a lot of us adults realize that our government can't run welfare programs without bankrupting them through outright theft or incompetency.Some politicians are tapping into this reality.

Maybe it's different in your welfare state...er uh country lol.
Who has paid into Social Security for you? Will you provide me with their email address. Did you have to wait long to be accepted by this program to have your Social Secrutiy payments subsidized by this agency? Please let me know ASAP because I have been paying into Social Security for my entire working career as did my parents and come to think of it, everyone else that I know. Our Social Security is NOT WELFARE so how did you qualify for the freebie??

Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,610,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So as a Democrat i'm not supposed to believe everything i hear unless its from a Republican insane logic.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,610,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I wonder what will happen to unemployed tea party supporters in a year time when they are still unemployed, would they blame Congress if the Republicans are in charge ?
No, they would blame Obama.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,593,209 times
I do hope that to avoid hypocrisy our fellow CD member Frank DeForrest
is going to donate his government social security pension to a worth while charity.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM

19,066 posts, read 14,360,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It shouldn't be conceived as a job but the privilege to serve the public. Maybe this is the root of our problem?
As Ben Franklin reminds us, public service is a step DOWN in status, lest the servant becomes the master...

Sigh.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,032,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
To me the biggest difference between the USA and other so called first countries voting patterns is the way religion plays such a large part in how people vote in the USA.

Calling Obama a Muslim works like a charm because so many want to believe it, notice in the UK Blair kept his religious beliefs well hidden because UK voters would never put up with a PM who stated he talked to god each day.

And because of their religious beliefs a lot of US voters will vote against their own interests, it is rather strange to see people ranting about unions when they do not belong to one and are on the US minimum wage.

A depression, yep, agree with that, notice how the USA spent it's way out of the last depression by producing material needed for WW2.

There is a book called, 'American Theocracy' by Kevin Phillips which goes into depth about this subject. Phillips is the Republican strategist who came up with Nixon's 'Southern Strategy' in 1968, fyi.

Phillips looked at voting patterns and found that those counties with the heaviest % of fundamentalists are the ones that trend solidly Republican, and that this relationship even extended down into the precinct level.

One thing that I don't know if foreign observers factor in is the amount of far-Right propaganda which is beamed into American homes each day via religious programs.

I've got cable (70 channels and nothing on), and in addition to the channel only devoted to religion, 7 other channels- from Discovery to local ones- give a significant part of their broadcast time to 'religious' shows, the vast majority of which include overt political messages. For example, the Catholic Bishop of the Madison, Wi, area used his broadcast to inform his followers ythat they would not be allowed communion if they supported Democratic candidates.

So, I'm convinceed that ALL denominations tax exemptions should end, as all are involved in Republican politics.

As far as what happens when the Tea Party takes over in November, well to understand that, you have to know the verdict of the Akre's case (I'll post it), and that of the newer Citizens United case, decided by the Supreme Court last year:

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...3/2D01-529.pdf

The former gives the media the 'right' to distort the news for finacial reasons. The latter removed restrictions that had been in place for over 100 years as to how much money corporations can give to candidates.

So, what you'll have is a pivot: where once everything was bad, and unemployment was high, the media, and the vast majority of politicans in the pockets of the multinats, will blow sunshine up the collective American rear.

And the sad part is- at first- most will buy it. Of course they'll be a new war to whip-up jingoism. Can't turn a crowd into a mob without some fresh blood on the tv screens.

Last edited by Geechie North; 09-16-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM

45,435 posts, read 26,706,643 times
Quote:
I do hope that to avoid hypocrisy our fellow CD member Frank DeForrest
is going to donate his government social security pension to a worth while charity.
huh?
Just give me back what has been taken from me already and we'll call it even.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,805,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
huh?
Just give me back what has been taken from me already and we'll call it even.
Just try to wrestle it from a retired person. Those old folks can be pretty tough.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,720,436 times
Quote:
So as a Democrat i'm not supposed to believe everything i hear unless its from a Republican insane logic.
As an informed citizen you should look at the situation, and vote accordingly.
Are you better off now than in 2006? 2008?
What are the dems policies doing to help the economy?
Like I said, politicians exaggerate -- no surprise
If we pay lower taxes then that means more money for us, and less money that can fall into the hands of politicians.
neither party is above lying or stealing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies