Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM

344 posts, read 199,827 times

Advertisements

Look, being Black and having taken public health and science courses, it's mostly due to inequalities that exist in nutrition and access to healthcare. There may be some genetic factors, depending on the condition. Sometimes its based on cultural issues.

For example:

White women are more prone to anorexia than Black women. This is more of a psycho-cultural issue.

African Americans and Hispanics are prone to obesity. This is more of a sociological issue. Minorities are usually less affluent and have less food options.

African Americans have higher birth mortality rates. This is due to health delivery. Hospitals are worse in poorer communities.

It's not racist; its pointing out there there are major concerns that need to be brought up. That's why I want to get my MPH or DrPH (Public Health) because of these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,330,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
to the op:

there is some degree of difference between various races. some races are genetically more prone to certain diseases than others. this holds true of all races. medical studies have been shown to prove such predispositions, so it's not just a matter of opinion. it's biology.

that said, can we get some examples of where npr exaggerates or obsesses over these facts? link us to some transcripts of shows that point out this pattern of comparing whites and blacks? thanks.
I call your bluff on that too...I don't think no shade of man is genetically more prone to anything any more or less than any other shade of man...

Unless it runs in a family line...but that's different...

Also...with all the different people around the world, why is there only 4 major blood types?

In other words, if you needed a blood transfusion...and were in Africa...how come a 3 foot tall pigmy man, would have your same blood type?
(where as your own brother standing next to you might not)

If man was different, than every shade of man would have their own distinct blood type...but that's not the case...

there may be people in your own family that you don't share blood type with, yet an Eskimo from Alaska may be your match....hmm...

Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM

344 posts, read 199,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I call your bluff on that too...I don't think no shade of man is genetically more prone to anything any more or less than any other shade of man...

Unless it runs in a family line...but that's different...

Also...with all the different people around the world, why is there only 4 major blood types?

In other words, if you needed a blood transfusion...and were in Africa...how come a 3 foot tall pigmy man, would have your same blood type?
(where as your own brother standing next to you might not)

If man was different, than every shade of man would have their own distinct blood type...but that's not the case...

there may be people in your own family that you don't share blood type with, yet an Eskimo from Alaska may be your match....hmm...
Family line is genetic. Slight regional variations exist. Whites are more prone to skin cancer since there pigmentation absorbs more UV rays and causes more thymine-thymine dimers which can cause various types of skin cancer.

Blacks, having to deal with malaria, have higher rates of sickle cell since carriers are less prone to malaria. This is also true with Italians.

We have evolved for our regional differences. The major structures are the same, but certain smaller structures are different.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,065,164 times
Oh, good old racist elitist NPR...

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

Car Talk,

You Bet Your Garden

Prairie Home Companion,

American Routes,

Symphony Cast.

Fresh Air,

Science Friday,

The Chef's Table.

Speaking of Faith,

Travel with Rick Steves...

Yeah, that's some powerful racist stuff there.

"Looking for sanity in the wrong places.."

Schedule | Radio | WHYY

By the way, I listen to NPR drinking coffee from WAWA or Dunkin Donuts.

As for an espresso with milk... I think that there are some pretty conservative Cubans who would take umbrage at such disparaging remarks about drinking a Cafe con Leche, several of which I consume everyday (by the way, I make them myself).

Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,475,212 times
Quote:
Please don't play that game with me, all one has to do is listen to their complete programing on a daily basis to confirm what I'm saying...

I don't work in a studio, nor do I have access to equiptment where I can record and all...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, fine, but others do...

Unfortunatly, in the work vehicle I drive in, NPR is about the only channel that comes in clearly...so I'm like forced to here it...

Some of their programing is ok, but enibidably (or however it's spelled)...it always comes down to negitave stats for blcks and minorities...

Without a reason, cause or remedy...
not a game at all. i grew up listening to npr. i've been inside their studio when my mom was featured on one of their shows. honestly, i don't recall any sort of whites vs. blacks pattern going on. if anything i remember being impressed with how the viewpoints on npr were diverse and interesting. but maybe i just didn't notice it. if you can point it out to me then maybe i'll see the pattern too.

i'm not trying to give you a hard time by asking for transcripts. i can't listen to npr anymore cause i 1) don't have radio 1) am deaf. and combing through the website archives takes forever to do through a screen reader. so if you could point me to some examples, that would be great.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 09-10-2010 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,475,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Oh, good old racist elitist NPR...

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

Car Talk,

The Chef's Table.

Travel with Rick Steves...
those were the first shows that came to mind for me too...nothing about race. am i missing something?

Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,611,357 times
Quote:
Bringing plight to 'black' people over and over again, without citing the reason or cause of why their in that condition, does no good at all...

All it does is demean people...

If blacks are unemployed at a higher rate...than cite why?
Who are these people who are not hiring them? And why?

Why not focus on the people or system that created these conditions for 'blacks'..?

And again, I'm not blaming you, but I even reject that sickle cell thing I've heard for years....why?

Cause of all the 'black' people and families I've met over the years, been friends with, associated with, not a single mention of anyone in there family or anyone they ever knew...having sickle-cell...not a single mention...

Do you know anyone personally who has it??

Back to NPR...even today they had to insert somemore 'Doom and gloom' for all black people nonsense...it just amazes me...

they make it seem as if all whites own yahts and sail boats, and live in mansions, and walk on rose peddles, and never get sick, never go to the hospital, never drink or do drugs...

Aren't effected by the economy, never get homes foreclosed on, basically are saints, with perfect lives, and families waiting to go to heaven...

Do you believe that?
Did you eat a brain tumor for breakfast? Without addressing all of you're inane babbling, I'll addres your question as to why does NPR bring up the plight of black people. Maybe it's to highlight a real problem that some people don't realize, whether they are black, white, hispanic, etc. Maybe so people can take this information and take action rather than sitting back thinking everything is A-ok, no health risks, no problems.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,611,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Look, being Black and having taken public health and science courses, it's mostly due to inequalities that exist in nutrition and access to healthcare. There may be some genetic factors, depending on the condition. Sometimes its based on cultural issues.

EXACTLY! Thank you! But apparently to some people here NPR is just a racist organization. Why some have no clue as to why NPR would highlight, for instance the social inequalities of black people, is beyond me.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,226,354 times
NPR, lol.... that's how I learned to hear what Donks were really saying.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,410,271 times
Default Not quite; NPR not racist

Unfortunately, more black people need to listen to NPR. Excellent programming, no racist agenda, very informative, tranquil, thought-provoking, and progressive. Great station for people who are in a good place in life, or pursuing a positive direction.

A greater problem exists within the black community in not addressing serious internal problems that generate the kind of news that reflect racial disparities. One of these problems is the lack of focus on high educational achievement. Given the racist history of this country and the ever-present racially insensitive conservative element, EVERY SINGLE black person should be making education a central focus. It should be as vital as water for God's sake. Descendants of slaves did not die so that their descendents would walk around looking like thugs, worshiping hip-hop and rap, and basically withdrawing from society into an ignorance-celebrating core. Certainly many within the black community are excelling, but there certainly are not enough to declare that the whole is educationally-focused. Failure to embrace education is suicide now.

Another problem is black self-hatred. Black people have enough problems existing in a society that does not favor it except in sports, entertainment, and the service industries. Where the hell is the pride of self to tackle the subjects that this society holds in high regard? Medicine, Law, Mathematics, Science, and Engineering? Why within the community are those who strive to be studious, shunned and ridiculed? It takes a coward to join a gang of ignorant people and commit crimes as a form of avoidance. It takes a coward to embrace music that celebrates ignorance, crime, underachievement, and irresponsibility. Only the lowest in this society embrace music that disrepects women, disregards parental responsibilities, is laced in vulgarity and profanity, glorifies criminal endeavors, and lack of schooling. More disturbing in terms of self-hatred is the obsession within the black community with light skin, non-brown colored eyes, thin lips, straight hair, and a thin nose - all features of the race of people who are frequently cited as the oppressors and reason for lack of achievement. This has been a problem for many generations. I could go on, but problems exist within the black community that are self-destructive to many within the race, which explains the disparities in health, wealth, education, crime, and so forth. As Muhammad Ali said once, "the problem is in the PEOPLE, not the place."

The problems of the black community are not with NPR, but problems within the people, within the black race itself. As Jim Brown said, "Education, character, humility, family..these are the qualities that sustain a race."

Don't blame NPR for simply reporting the reality, blame those within the race for creating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies