Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:05 PM

14,045 posts, read 27,366,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Wow, thanks for the breath of fresh air. I find it odd that people would want to call themselves conservatives when there's so little of what we currently are doing that's worth conserving! All our systems are failing or are about to fail. Why do people want to continue the tired same old ways with the irrational expectation that the results will be improvement? Open-minded, liberal thinking is the only way forward because change is inevitable. I use the word liberal in a literal way, not to imply that I support whatever the conservatives are defining as liberalism nowadays. And, thanks again for the history lesson. I needed to be reminded that conservatives have always resisted the way forward.
You may have lost me here.

Are you restating liberal as supporting change and conservative as status quo? If you are, and it kind of seems that way in my reading of your posting, would you consider outlawing of abortions to be liberal, because it is a change to the current processes? Would you also consider the establishment of private savings accounts as part of social security liberal too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM

626 posts, read 997,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Are you restating liberal as supporting change and conservative as status quo? If you are, and it kind of seems that way in my reading of your posting, would you consider outlawing of abortions to be liberal, because it is a change to the current processes? Would you also consider the establishment of private savings accounts as part of social security liberal too?
Outlawing abortion would be a regression to a previous state, just like reverting to feudalism would be a regression. However, private savings accounts would be a liberal idea.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:07 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,104,714 times
The most powerful truly conservative political party out there now is the Constitution Party.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,164,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Yes to the 1st question. No to the 2nd and 3rd. Good questions, though. You've got me thinking.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:40 PM

14,045 posts, read 27,366,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Yes to the 1st question. No to the 2nd and 3rd. Good questions, though. You've got me thinking.

These issues always can get a little convoluted when you consider the baseline situation. If conservative is status quo and liberal is change, then abolishment of the social security and medicare systems would seem to be liberal ideas. That extreme situation is what prompted me to pose the question.

To me, the labels aren't always clear, which is why I have always had difficulty lining up my views with the political parties, and I end up with an inconsistent (by party) voting record.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 AM

13,641 posts, read 21,502,505 times
liberal in the classic term ,yes I am as standing for the liberal in liberty.But many times the dictionary defenition does not apply to the terms conservative or liberal in today's politics.Many current "liberals" like to add "progressive" to liberal also.Which I see it as progressing away from liberty.It would be interesting to see answers from progressive liberals and conservatives to the question "what is the meaning of the constitution and the concept of liberty in America"?That simple question asked to candidates`would shine light on what is in thoughts,and how their lies would come out to things they did in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies