Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,255,488 times

Advertisements

I don't think a new party solves anything beyond splitting up Republican voters. Is that what you really want to do? Don't you think some compromises are better, and trying to get officials elected who are closer to your belief system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
We need a "traditionalist" party. One that represents the people and values that this country was founded on. At the rate things are going lately I'd say we are are going to hell in a handbag so to speak. NumbersUSA is a place with similiar interests to check out. I used their free fax system to fax at least 30 faxes to my senators lately. They also have phone numbers (I called too) at your fingertaps. They started a mini revolution in my opinion. One that was needed since the government was tuning out the majority of Americans.
All I know is there needs to be some serious changes. What we have now is no loyality, no respect, no dignity, no public decency, schools over-run by liberal teachers that are pushing their agenda instead of education, lawmakers that do not enforce the laws and a Persident that works for foreigners instead of Americans.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM

626 posts, read 994,106 times
jco deleted my previous post, where I referenced some of the values that were held by Americans when this country was founded. The point of my post was show that this sense of nostalgia is based on fallicious reasoning. Life is better today than it was 200 years ago.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM

This country has been slowly deteriorating since the 60s. Personal responsibility, what’s that? Public decency, what’s that. Respect for life, what’s that? Respect for children, what’s that? America first, what’s that?

Old 06-28-2007, 02:09 PM

626 posts, read 994,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
This country has been slowly deteriorating since the 60s. Personal responsibility, what’s that? Public decency, what’s that. Respect for life, what’s that? Respect for children, what’s that? America first, what’s that?
<snip>

It couldn't be a change in the dynamics of society due to the proliferation of mass media! It couldn't be the culture of consumerism forced on us by corporate advertising! It's the liberal conspiracy!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Depends on how you define "deteriorating." I don't recall women in the professional jobs like stockbroker, financial analyst or accountant back then. Those who worked, which was the minority, were teachers, nurses, clerks, cashiers or secretaries. African Americans only did menial labor, when employed, and couldn't access many facilities.

I don't know things couldn't be improved today, but I don't know if I would romanticize the good old days.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Depends on how you define "deteriorating." I don't recall women in the professional jobs like stockbroker, financial analyst or accountant back then. Those who worked, which was the minority, were teachers, nurses, clerks, cashiers or secretaries. African Americans only did menial labor, when employed, and couldn't access many facilities.

I don't know things couldn't be improved today, but I don't know if I would romanticize the good old days.

While some things have improved many things have become worse.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
While some things have improved many things have become worse.
That is a statement I could certainly agree with. We may not agree on all of the details, but I believe that to be a fair assessment.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 PM

47 posts, read 193,319 times
IMHO- the "ship of state" is heading towards the waterfall .
The only difference voting for a republican will do is just slow the ship down somewhat; the waterfall is dead ahead.

It seems a third party is the only way, although in this controlled country I believe it will never happen. We live in a land that is progressively, day by day, becoming more and more Orwellian. While the corporate, political and academic elite gather more power the chance for a viable third party becomes slimmer. Therefore, the sooner one is launched the better chance it has to succeed.

In the spirit of the original poster, here are some of my ideas:
(I'm sure I will annoy people on both sides of the aisle.)

George Washington said America should not entangle itself in other countries troubles by signing treaties with them. Now I realize that in the world we live in it is sometimes impossible. However, we are not the world's policeman, whether we are a superpower or not. (Neo-conservatism is not conservative.)

Moreover, the U.S. government (our tax money) is not the main charity organization for the world. Take care of our own American CITIZENS first and if there is money left over, then help internationally.

Further, protect our citizens by protecting the environment with supporting "reasonable" laws.

The new party should support individual rights- not group rights. Individuals should be judged "equally" by what they do and say.

Finally,and most importantly, America for Americans first.
The party should not apologize for protecting its sovereignty by guarding its border from foreign invasion.

Just a few planks of the platform I would support for a new party.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,145,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Most people that subscribe to conservative ideology do not know the history behind it. It's really sad to hear people call themselves conservatives, when historically, conservatives have opposed virtually everything the US stands for. I'm not talking about just the US, but world wide. Conservatives have been against virtually every social reform in this last 500 years.

So many Americans call themselves conservatives, but I don't think they really are, because they don't know what a true conservative is.
Wow, thanks for the breath of fresh air. I find it odd that people would want to call themselves conservatives when there's so little of what we currently are doing that's worth conserving! All our systems are failing or are about to fail. Why do people want to continue the tired same old ways with the irrational expectation that the results will be improvement? Open-minded, liberal thinking is the only way forward because change is inevitable. I use the word liberal in a literal way, not to imply that I support whatever the conservatives are defining as liberalism nowadays. And, thanks again for the history lesson. I needed to be reminded that conservatives have always resisted the way forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies