Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,059,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
The biggest reason our society is in such deep trouble is because of its idiotic government.
Which is voted in by the idiotic populace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,790,454 times
Quote:
The biggest reason our society is in such deep trouble is because of its idiotic government.
Key word: 'its'

idiotic government = idiotic population

See: Prop 8 proponents.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,790,454 times
Quote:
The people of California voted that marriage should be defined as between one man and one woman. Period. It's "unconstitutional" for the judge to reverse what the people have decided.
I was going to respond to this, but I can see that about 10 peope already had, but I will add these thoughts:

1. We are a republic, not a democracy. Direct voting isn't necessary for the government to conduct it's buisiness.

2. Rights are ensured by the Constitution. The 14th Amendment PROHIBITS states and the federal government from abridging those rights. It is agreed upon that people [regardless of orientation] have a right to be married. Prop 8, is therefore unconstitutional. To deny a group of people a right otehrwise granted, is not only blatant discrimination, but it's unconstitutional.

3. There are three separate, yet co-equal branches of government. The point of the third [and most over looked branch], the Judiciary, is to understand the constitutionality of a law, to hear a case and apply previous understanding, and rule according to the law and it's application as allowed by established law [including the Constitution].

At the end of the day, a trillion people could have voted Prop 8, and at the end of the day a trillion of people would have legally violated the Constitution.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM

22,219 posts, read 19,530,969 times
Quote:
The people of California voted that marriage should be defined as between one man and one woman. Period. It's "unconstitutional" for the judge to reverse what the people have decided.
Do you even know what the job of a judge is??

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,997,567 times
Default Schedule of Appeal

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has issued its scheduling order for the appeal of the Perry v. Schwarzenegger decision. Appellant's briefs are due to be submitted to the Ninth Circuit by November 12, 2010 and appellees' responding briefs are subsequently due to be submitted to the Ninth Circuit by December 13, 2010.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM

396 posts, read 733,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has issued its scheduling order for the appeal of the Perry v. Schwarzenegger decision. Appellant's briefs are due to be submitted to the Ninth Circuit by November 12, 2010 and appellees' responding briefs are subsequently due to be submitted to the Ninth Circuit by December 13, 2010.
Thanks for posting that, Voyageur.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,059,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post

It'll be interesting to see if the Prop. 8. side actually tries to put up a strong defense, instead of the rice-paper thin charade they put up at the actual trial.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM

396 posts, read 733,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the Prop. 8. side actually tries to put up a strong defense, instead of the rice-paper thin charade they put up at the actual trial.
Probably not... there's pretty much zero chance the 9th Circuit is going to side with them and they know it. And even if they do through some weird shift in the Universe, the other side will appeal - no matter how the 9th rules, the loser is going to appeal.

Both sides know this is going to wind up before SCOTUS, that neither will settle for a lesser court ruling. The only real question is whether SCOTUS will agree to hear the appeal. I think they will. I hope they will. Even if the 9th shoots down Prop8 as well, I STILL want this heard by SCOTUS. We need a definitive ruling once and for all.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,997,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Probably not... there's pretty much zero chance the 9th Circuit is going to side with them and they know it. And even if they do through some weird shift in the Universe, the other side will appeal - no matter how the 9th rules, the loser is going to appeal.

Both sides know this is going to wind up before SCOTUS, that neither will settle for a lesser court ruling. The only real question is whether SCOTUS will agree to hear the appeal. I think they will. I hope they will. Even if the 9th shoots down Prop8 as well, I STILL want this heard by SCOTUS. We need a definitive ruling once and for all.
It only takes four Justices to grant cert. And if the Ninth Circuit affirms the decision, the Supreme Court is all but certainly going to review the case.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:24 PM

24,519 posts, read 33,388,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I was going to respond to this, but I can see that about 10 peope already had, but I will add these thoughts:

1. We are a republic, not a democracy. Direct voting isn't necessary for the government to conduct it's buisiness.

2. Rights are ensured by the Constitution. The 14th Amendment PROHIBITS states and the federal government from abridging those rights. It is agreed upon that people [regardless of orientation] have a right to be married. Prop 8, is therefore unconstitutional. To deny a group of people a right otehrwise granted, is not only blatant discrimination, but it's unconstitutional.

3. There are three separate, yet co-equal branches of government. The point of the third [and most over looked branch], the Judiciary, is to understand the constitutionality of a law, to hear a case and apply previous understanding, and rule according to the law and it's application as allowed by established law [including the Constitution].

At the end of the day, a trillion people could have voted Prop 8, and at the end of the day a trillion of people would have legally violated the Constitution.
What will you say if the U.S. Supreme Court rules prop 8 as not unconstitutional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies