Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,035 times

Advertisements

Nothing pisses me off more than when these idiotic Liberals say things like "We should be more like Europe" as if it would be something to be proud of, are these people ignorant of history or what? Look at the unemployment rates in most European countries. I read an article about young people in France who can't find jobs, it is common for young Europeans to live with their parents until they are 30. How sad! Look at the price of things in Europe, my Mom bought me a gift in Germany and the price was about 2x what it would cost here in the US.

Now, better yet, countries like Belgium have a 50% income tax rate, thats right, you work your ass off and the Government takes half of what you earn. I think we should be more like Europe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Nothing pisses me off more than when these idiotic Liberals say things like "We should be more like Europe" as if it would be something to be proud of, are these people ignorant of history or what? Look at the unemployment rates in most European countries. I read an article about young people in France who can't find jobs, it is common for young Europeans to live with their parents until they are 30. How sad! Look at the price of things in Europe, my Mom bought me a gift in Germany and the price was about 2x what it would cost here in the US.

Now, better yet, countries like Belgium have a 50% income tax rate, thats right, you work your ass off and the Government takes half of what you earn. I think we should be more like Europe!
Europe does more right than wrong. It is not perfect but we need to move more in that direction for sure.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times
Which European country has 300 million people? The countries often held up as examples of progressive welfare states are countries like Sweden and Denmark. Both countries have very small populations(8 million Swedes & 5 million in DenmarK)compared to the U.S. Those countries have welfare systems that fit their population and that their governments can manage. The U.S does need some welfare programs but considering our size it really needs to be prioritized in ways different from how it's done in most smaller European countries.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Europe does more right than wrong. It is not perfect but we need to move more in that direction for sure.
Maybe I don't get it... What does Europe do that won't cost me more?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,456 times
Quote:

Before you throw out the baby with the bathwater I would say just perhaps TRY to have an open mind and read perspectives that don't only justify your own perspective. MANY Americans who have experienced living, working and paying taxes in Europe would NOT come back to the U.S.A. to approach life and livelihood here. Yes, there has been an immigrant explosion in many parts of Europe. They are going through a major transformation as ALL Countries do at some point in time. The whole place is NOT falling apart. Your alarmist post only makes it sound like you are really only interested in focusing on the negative aspects in the whole picture. The people who know whats going on can see that its not exactly worse than anything else happening anywhere else on Earth.

I sometimes think posters need to just get the heck off the computer and go on a monthlong (or longer preferably) global trek and gain a bit of wisdom and humility.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Before you throw out the baby with the bathwater I would say just perhaps TRY to have an open mind and read perspectives that don't only justify your own perspective. MANY Americans who have experienced living, working and paying taxes in Europe would NOT come back to the U.S.A. to approach life and livelihood here. Yes, there has been an immigrant explosion in many parts of Europe. They are going through a major transformation as ALL Countries do at some point in time. The whole place is NOT falling apart. Your alarmist post only makes it sound like you are really only interested in focusing on the negative aspects in the whole picture. The people who know whats going on can see that its not exactly worse than anything else happening anywhere else on Earth.

I sometimes think posters need to just get the heck off the computer and go on a monthlong (or longer preferably) global trek and gain a bit of wisdom and humility.
I think you are wrong... I know of people who travel to Japan and LOVE it there... even though they can only afford a room the size of a closet (I kid you not) and eat only the cheapest food.. but they love it... they would move there in an instant... cause they love the life there even if it is worse in my opinion because living in a closet and eat cheap isn't my idea of a good quality of life... they think its a "great life" even though they have better food and a larger house over here... "better" is subjective but what Europe offers is "objectively" not better... pay more taxes, pay more for the same things.... etc etc...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 PM

952 posts, read 942,329 times
Quote:

The 'Tax our way to Prosperity' Party considers citizens like you to be s-e-l-f-i-s-h, and hugely misquided.

After all...Big Brother knows best how your income should be distrbuted. Just keep your grubby little hands off their programs, and soon, you too, can become one of the entitled, awaiting a handout delivered by our wise and beneficent Party of the Community Organizers.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,965 times
You can't have a welfare state with an open border.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,096 times
Quote:

Repubocrat !!! ... Well Said !

Oh wouldn't it be fantastic if these pitiful "Puddin Headed" DINO's would all just leave the U.S. and go to Europe for the long term !

This nation would be so damn much better off without the presence of these worrisome and destructive little pals !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think you are wrong... I know of people who travel to Japan and LOVE it there... even though they can only afford a room the size of a closet (I kid you not) and eat only the cheapest food.. but they love it... they would move there in an instant... cause they love the life there even if it is worse in my opinion because living in a closet and eat cheap isn't my idea of a good quality of life... they think its a "great life" even though they have better food and a larger house over here... "better" is subjective but what Europe offers is "objectively" not better... pay more taxes, pay more for the same things.... etc etc...
I'm not sure how, in that sense, you think I am "wrong." If you move to Europe and have no job and live off of measly welfare your life will probably suck. If you move there and work and are able to afford your life, just like everywhere else you will have a different perspective. Getting more detailed, if you want a massive suburban house and all your fixings, don't got to Europe unless you have the cash. One does not move to Berlin (or Tokyo!) to have the Mcmansion experience.

Better is indeed subjective. Some people would rather pay more taxes for certain societal "givens" and others wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies