Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,395,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree. There are few places you can live in the United States without owning at least one car. Most places require 2 or 3 cars. Only NYC and Chicago are easy to live in without a car. In other places such as San Fransisco, Miami, Las Vegas, Atlanta it can be done but life would be inconvenient.
Oh there are more places to add to the list that you can live without owning a car. It can be done in MANY smaller cities in America. Many,many, many. But heck, I am also a person who is willing to walk 5 miles to get where I need to go.

I just feel like Americans at large need to grow a backbone. When was the last time you walked 2 miles? Took a stroll? Walked your dog for WAAAAY longer than you planned!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM

4,943 posts, read 3,420,488 times
Quote:
Europe does more right than wrong. It is not perfect but we need to move more in that direction for sure.
A-freakin-men to that

They look more like a First World prosperous society. The US, on the other hand, is starting to look more backward Third World society ruled by a greedy and corrupt oligarchy...

Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,276,415 times
Quote:
The London Tube is fast, efficient, clean and safe. It will cost you apprx $110 per month to use as much as you wish. That is something Europe does right.
Tube | Transport for London
People are in here comparing it to Amtrak, that doesn't make sense. London Tube should be compared to urban subway systems like the DC Metro or NYC MTA. Those are fast, efficient, safe, and (at least for DC) clean. For unlimited monthly travel on the London Tube see here: London Travelcard - Public Transport Pass With Attractive Discounts For The Visitor It shows monthly travel card for approx US $150 if you're only going in zones 1 & 2. There are two more expensive ones for additional zones.

Washington DC Metro has a 7-day short trip pass (which is the likely equivalent of the London zones 1-2) for about $28/week. MTA in NYC has an unlimted 30 day pass for only $89. I suspect Boston and Chicago have similar deals.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,276,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
They look more like a First World prosperous society. The US, on the other hand, is starting to look more backward Third World society
Sheesh where do people come up with this stuff?

Europe is extremely diverse, and so is the United States. To say anything looks more backward makes no sense. Are you comparing Kazakhstan to New York City or Zurich to rural West Virginia?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:12 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,845,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Europe is extremely diverse, and so is the United States. To say anything looks more backward makes no sense. Are you comparing Kazakhstan to New York City or Zurich to rural West Virginia?
Haha, I like how you put it.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM

20,184 posts, read 24,025,606 times
Quote:
People are in here comparing it to Amtrak, that doesn't make sense. London Tube should be compared to urban subway systems like the DC Metro or NYC MTA. Those are fast, efficient, safe, and (at least for DC) clean. For unlimited monthly travel on the London Tube see here: London Travelcard - Public Transport Pass With Attractive Discounts For The Visitor It shows monthly travel card for approx US $150 if you're only going in zones 1 & 2. There are two more expensive ones for additional zones.

Washington DC Metro has a 7-day short trip pass (which is the likely equivalent of the London zones 1-2) for about $28/week. MTA in NYC has an unlimted 30 day pass for only $89. I suspect Boston and Chicago have similar deals.
Wrong the Metro and MTA are in HUGE debt (just like Amtrak)... they continually receive SUBSIDIES to actually survive every year... apparently they don't charge the riders enough to survive... I have yet to see one mass transit system that doesn't require an infusion of cash to survive... isn't it so great? So efficient but not even profitable.. you think the fundings will go away with a flat level of subsidy? Apparently they are starting to ask the Federal Government for help.... that's what you want? Endless bailouts with taxpayer dollars? If any business can't survive without continual government bailouts, why are we not fixing the problem? Is it the unions again?

Editorial: A Federal Bailout to Put the MTA Back on Track (http://www.cityhallnews.com/newyork/article-400-editorial-a-federal-bailout-to-put-the-mta-back-on-track.html - broken link)

Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM

20,184 posts, read 24,025,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
A-freakin-men to that

They look more like a First World prosperous society. The US, on the other hand, is starting to look more backward Third World society ruled by a greedy and corrupt oligarchy...
So I take it you won't demand other people's money for services that benefits you...

Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So I take it you won't demand other people's money for services that benefits you...
???

I don't get your reasoning here...

Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Of course we are talking about the countries of Western Europe, the ones that did not come under Soviet control.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,157,071 times
Quote:
You cannot compare Amtrak to rail service in Europe. Amtrak is inefficient and slow. The government makes no effort to improve it. The rail service in the USA is a shame for the most part. Even Canada- which is larger than the USA- has better train service.
Have you considered the fact that all the rail tracks Amtrak rides on outside the Northeast Corridor are not owned by Amtrak, but by freight companies that have the right-of-way on their tracks? I live in the Northeast Corridor, and taking the train from Harrisburg to Philly and to New York, is easy, and fast. I took the train from St. Louis back home to Harrisburg, and I lost count how many times we had to pull over for freight trains.

Oh and, that Canada comment made me laugh. Of course they'll have better rail service, 4/5 of their population lives within 93 miles of the border.

I don't know about you but improving and building rail service for a relatively skinny corridor is much easier than trying to improve rail service spanning out in all directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies