Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,393,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
What's sad is that a pass here in Cincinnati would cost me $106 to travel 3-4 miles on a bus. A bus that runs every 1/2 hour during peak hours and doesn't even cover the whole county.
Many American public transport passes and plans are DISMAL. I wish they weren't.... this needs to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
That's right. There are several states in the USA that already resemble Europe.
Yet it is not enough for liberals. They want all America be more like Europe.
Imagine North Dakota becomes more like Europe? Wouldn't it be cool?
Well, North Dakota citizens are probably not asking for their society to be more "European" like, so no, it would not be cool.

But the coastal cities, both East and West, have a long tradition of sharing and exchanging culture with Europe so this is not exactly a revolutionary idea in the mix.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,917,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Welfare reforms will be comming to Europe.
I agree that there are some changes that Europe will have to make including scaling back 6 week vacations, retirement at 60 and 80% unemployment payments for a year. But other things such as free college, transportation and national health care are great programs.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Many American public transport passes and plans are DISMAL. I wish they weren't.... this needs to change.
It is a shame. Funny that I live in the suburbs are we have decent bus services that run at least every 1/2 hour and until midnight. If we could just get Sunday service...

Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,840,644 times
Quote:
Well, North Dakota citizens are probably not asking for their society to be more "European" like, so no, it would not be cool.

But the coastal cities, both East and West, have a long tradition of sharing and exchanging culture with Europe so this is not exactly a revolutionary idea in the mix.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. I'm sorry if I came off confusing.
I'm against of pushing America to being more like Europe because it already partly is.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Except Portland, Oregon. You can ride a bike there and survive (or sue the person who followed the rules but still hit you).

Anyway, yeah, it's a whole different SPATIAL system over there. Several countries have ZERO TOLERANCE with driving and alcohol, but it also is often easier to get from point a to b with public transport or walking. Many American communities simply are so spacious that your really need a car to make life work. People are more likely to drive home drunk than to ride a bike home drunk in the States .
I agree. There are few places you can live in the United States without owning at least one car. Most places require 2 or 3 cars. Only NYC and Chicago are easy to live in without a car. In other places such as San Fransisco, Miami, Las Vegas, Atlanta it can be done but life would be inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is a shame. Funny that I live in the suburbs are we have decent bus services that run at least every 1/2 hour and until midnight. If we could just get Sunday service...
That decent bus service you got is not a nationwide privilege and obviously, MANY suburbs do not even have bus service because it is automatic that you have a car.

Really, its not a political thing, its just the way America is set up. But when you pick it apart a bit it gets a bit messy.

20,184 posts, read 24,010,116 times
Quote:
You cannot compare Amtrak to rail service in Europe. Amtrak is inefficient and slow. The government makes no effort to improve it. The rail service in the USA is a shame for the most part. Even Canada- which is larger than the USA- has better train service.
How can America improve on it unless they reform the pay of Amtrak employees and CEOs? The unions will prevent any attempt at that... Even with the very expensive Amtrak fees (I have look many, many times... they cost more than airline tickets), they still aren't able to be productive enough to survive without continual bailouts every time... The public unions really destroyed the government by demanding too high pay and unrealistic pensions... there is no way any government is not going to give in to the unions... I be willing to bet the unions will DEMAND that taxpayers be on the hook for their pensions if Amtrak when bankrupt... is that how you want the future rail to be like?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 PM

20,184 posts, read 24,010,116 times
Quote:
I agree that there are some changes that Europe will have to make including scaling back 6 week vacations, retirement at 60 and 80% unemployment payments for a year. But other things such as free college, transportation and national health care are great programs.
Those great things are also being cut back... not so great anymore... I saw their educational system and its crappy, they choose what college you go to sometimes and limit what majors you can get a degree in (but hey its free - well actually you paid taxes to cover its costs, so NOT free)...

Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How can America improve on it unless they reform the pay of Amtrak employees and CEOs? The unions will prevent any attempt at that... Even with the very expensive Amtrak fees (I have look many, many times), they still aren't able to be productive enough to survive without continual bailouts every time... The public unions really destroyed the government by demanding too high pay and unrealistic pensions... there is no way any government is not going to give in to the unions... I be willing to bet the unions will DEMAND that taxpayers be on the hook for their pensions if Amtrak when bankrupt... is that how you want the future rail to be like?
No. If the unions are out of line the government needs to stand up to them. Remember PATCO? But rail workers should be paid decently too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies