Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:05 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,242,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's my point--I wouldn't care to hazard a guess based on probability as to how long you will live.
So your point is that there is the occasional anomaly? I don't think anyone will disagree with you on that, but it has little bearing on the discussion. If we're trying to evaluate your claim that " noone pays in as much as they take out" we use averages over large sample sizes. Pointing out the existence of outlying data point isn't relevant.

It's like if someone said that statistically people die within 22 months of a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, you'd be shouting that Joe Blow from Houston lived 7 years therefore it's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM

89,677 posts, read 45,338,803 times
Quote:
That's my point--I wouldn't care to hazard a guess based on probability as to how long you will live.

There have been people who have lived with debilitating diseases far longer than any doctor would have expected them to. There are even people who have recovered from something their doctors said they wouldn't. People don't obey "probability".
And there are people who pay into SS for 30+ years, and then die before they can begin drawing any benefits. Again... nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

The point is, your limited anecdotal experience is far less accurate than the carefully calculated actuarial tables.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,529,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
We are talking about those who allow others to be parasites. Maybe you are not, but are you ok with others being parasites??

"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members"

You can act tough and big and say "pull yourself by your own bootstraps blah blah blah" but fact is, life is not so simple.

And before you say I'm a parasite, my wife and I both have our own businesses and we make pretty decent money. We also employ more than a dozen people. I could live pretty well working just 6 months a year and my wife would not have to work if she wanted to.

Ironic how labels like "parasites" often (not always) come from blue collar people with little education and crappy salaries. "I make 30k a year, I work hard! I pay taxes! Bow to me, mr. government!"

We're always someone's parasite.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,811,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
So your point is that there is the occasional anomaly? I don't think anyone will disagree with you on that, but it has little bearing on the discussion. If we're trying to evaluate your claim that " noone pays in as much as they take out" we use averages over large sample sizes. Pointing out the existence of outlying data point isn't relevant.

It's like if someone said that statistically people die within 22 months of a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, you'd be shouting that Joe Blow from Houston lived 7 years therefore it's not true.
And I'm not referring to one or two. The elderly population of Florida is quite large.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM

89,677 posts, read 45,338,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post

Ironic how labels like "parasites" often (not always) come from blue collar people with little education and crappy salaries.
Interesting breakdown of political party identification by education and income levels in the chart at the bottom of this page:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification - Pew Research

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,366,572 times
My turn;
THE TEA PARTY PROTESTERS DID IT!

(THAT ANGRY MOB IS EVERYWHERE!)

Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
And I'm not referring to one or two. The elderly population of Florida is quite large.
I'm honestly not sure if you are purposely playing dumb to obfuscate a weak position in this discussion or not. I might as well debate this with my cat.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,366,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members"
I can't say I enjoyed your post but I can't say it offended me either.
I do have a question, who is judging this society? Also, why don't we ever question the weakest members?

It's quite obvious that this society, that is being judged, is breeding weak members. That makes a weak society.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,811,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'm honestly not sure if you are purposely playing dumb to obfuscate a weak position in this discussion or not. I might as well debate this with my cat.
Depends--is it an "average" cat?

Let me know when you meet that family with the 2.3 kids. Always wanted to see what a .3 kid looked like.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM

Spare me the lectures on mean vs. median, I majored in applied mathematics in college. What's your degree in?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies