Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,040,990 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of self-serving nonsense in that article coming from people with a vested interest in marketing the relevant areas.

That said, of course it is true that any new development area is going to tend to have more rapid growth, in percentage terms of home sales, population, and so on, than mature areas. You can even see that just looking in the City at the two lists associated with the article--the 14th Ward remains a much bigger market than the 2nd Ward, but because the 14th Ward is relatively mature and the 2nd Ward counts as a relatively new area for residential development in the City (over the last decade as compared to immediately proceeding decades), the 2nd Ward had a much higher percentage-wise growth rate.

The problem is when you start reading more into the faster growth of newer areas more than that they are new. For example, obviously there is not some tax explanation for the 14th Ward versus the 2nd Ward growth rates.

Last edited by BrianTH; 09-27-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,836,180 times
If I'm not mistaken the growth downtown puts Pittsburgh in unusual company since many similarly sized metros lost population while downtowns in large metros gained population. Also interestingly fast growing metros and declining metros both added people to the outer ring at a rapid clip.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 AM

finally, some condos for me ; )
Quote:
Architect Tony Poli briefed city planning commission members Tuesday on a proposal to convert the two top floors of the seven-story Hartley-Rose Building at 425 First Ave. into luxury condominiums, with more floors to follow in the future...Mr. O'Loughlin said the condos will be "$1 million plus units" with 3,000 square feet of space, lots of light and views of the Monongahela River. "Everything will be first class," he said...He hopes to get started on the seventh floor condo, which will feature a rooftop deck, by January and have it completed by early summer...
Read more: Condos planned at historic site - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,700,026 times
Weird. I wonder how well those will sell...

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,677,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Weird. I wonder how well those will sell...
It is weird. $1 mil plus aren't exactly flying off the shelves in 3 PNC from what I understand. But the building styles will be different.

From what I've heard there's a better hole in the market a little below that, somewhere in the $750k range, at least with a larger unit. I even know of such a unit that could be done for less than that but it's a full gut reno project (already gutted).

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM

I like to see these buildings in First Side going residential. I like less seeing them doing big, expensive units (even if they sell, that means fewer new units).

Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,057,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I like to see these buildings in First Side going residential. I like less seeing them doing big, expensive units (even if they sell, that means fewer new units).
I've always thought First Avenue would make a great "quiet residential" street in Downtown. It's one way, and currently has more of an alley feel than anything, but there are some nice old smaller buildings in spots, and the rear of a lot of other buildings could be reconfigured to have more storefronts and less parking lots. Then all you'd need is some more street trees, and small infill projects to eliminate the surface parking.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've always thought First Avenue would make a great "quiet residential" street in Downtown. It's one way, and currently has more of an alley feel than anything, but there are some nice old smaller buildings in spots, and the rear of a lot of other buildings could be reconfigured to have more storefronts and less parking lots. Then all you'd need is some more street trees, and small infill projects to eliminate the surface parking.
That's a nice vision, although I think it might be in some tension with wanting to maximize the value of river views on the southern side of the Avenue, meaning properties along that side might continue to want their "fronts" facing south with their "backs" to First Avenue. I am particularly thinking of a proposed infill hotel project around Cherry Way, that now seems dead, which had that sort of orientation.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's a nice vision, although I think it might be in some tension with wanting to maximize the value of river views on the southern side of the Avenue, meaning properties along that side might continue to want their "fronts" facing south with their "backs" to First Avenue. I am particularly thinking of a proposed infill hotel project around Cherry Way, that now seems dead, which had that sort of orientation.
A hotel could have two entrances thus fronting both sides, particularly if parking is not included in the structure.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
A hotel could have two entrances thus fronting both sides, particularly if parking is not included in the structure.
Indeed, but you might have to mandate such a solution to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh