Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Isn't the building where Elements is located undergoing a residential conversion?
4 Gateway? Not to my knowledge. The residential conversions are on either side of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Since the 2000 census, Downtown's population has increased 25 percent and stood at an estimated 2,148 as of the end of 2008.

Add 2,428 university and technical students, as well as 89 private houses and other housing and the total population within the Golden Triangle was about 4,576 at the end of 2008, according to the Downtown Partnership.
A GAMBLE ON DOWNTOWN | TribLIVE
Quote:
Palcic says his fascination with Penn Avenue began about 4.5 years ago when he and his wife moved into a condo there.

"I chose to live here, so that sort of made the decision," he says. "I wish there were a lot more streets like Penn Avenue."

When the high-tech firm he was part of was bought out in 2009, Palcic and a silent partner looked around at the development scene Downtown. They connected his appreciation for Penn Avenue with a growth that has doubled since 2000. Now there are more than 7,200 residents Downtown, according the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership.
Developer creating a 'different Downtown demographic' | TribLIVE

Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Palcic has an enviable life--if I had made a fortune in high-tech, I'd also love to take a section of Pittsburgh I liked and develop a bunch of projects to make it even better. And I'd guess he will make even more money doing it.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Palcic has an enviable life--if I had made a fortune in high-tech, I'd also love to take a section of Pittsburgh I liked and develop a bunch of projects to make it even better. And I'd guess he will make even more money doing it.
I can actually envision you living Downtown someday yourself, Brian, once your son is fully grown and ready to leave the nest. You seem to be the type of person that would really appreciate having everything at your doorstep.

I'm thrilled that there are keen developers such as Mr. Palcic here. Someday I, too, would like to live in Downtown Pittsburgh, and the fact that he's developed condos in the more attainable $200,000 range at a time when most other condos Downtown are reserved exclusively for the upper-middle-class or upper-class is quite admirable.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can actually envision you living Downtown someday yourself, Brian, once your son is fully grown and ready to leave the nest. You seem to be the type of person that would really appreciate having everything at your doorstep.
Daughter too now (ten months). So it would be a while--and I am not sure they will leave us enough to afford it!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Daughter too now (ten months). So it would be a while--and I am not sure they will leave us enough to afford it!
congratulations. it's not impossible to raise kids downtown, I think our daughter would set up a tent next in PPG place to be near the fountain if she could.
If I'm not mistaken, the downtown population is up 57% since 2008. is that correct (7200-4576)? certainly on pace to break 10k before the end of the decade (at a constant rate of growth that would put it just shy of 14k in 2020)

Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM

We thought about it, but we like having a lot of space in our home with the kids--that's just a personal preference, though, and I know you could have a great family life Downtown too.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
i was downtown about 6pm saturday.

it was...INSANE down there at the Wood Street Station, Liberty Avenue side. a throng of about 12 kids came down the street on their bikes and skateboards, just doing there thing.
other groups of kids were around talking loudly, carrying on harmlessly but with a lot of zeal.

it was fun to watch. when i was a kid, you didnt go downtown. you didnt hang out there for whatever reason. there was no little reason to be there, except for the rare trip to the Point or another uninteresting attraction.

its nice to see young people (or people of any age) enjoying downtown again like those in a real city should.

market square, too - hustle and bustle with life. (back in the late 90s, when i left, it wasnt like that on a non-penguins game weekend).

Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
PMC Property Group acquiring fifth Downtown Pittsburgh site - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
PMC Property Group acquiring fifth Downtown Pittsburgh site

PMC Property Group has signed a sales agreement with Alco Parking president Merrill Stabile to buy the Jackman Building at 526 Penn Ave. next to the Penn and Sixth Street parking garage in the Cultural District.

The 10-story building has been largely vacant since the Art Institute of Pittsburgh moved out a decade ago. The first floor houses a Subway sandwich shop and Quest Diagnostics. Floors 2 through 10 are empty.

Mr. Stabile said PMC plans to convert the upper floors into apartments, just as it has done or plans to do with several of the other buildings it has acquired.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
And the Train known as PMC keeps right on Chugging along......PMC please buy the Union Trust Building and turn it into the most Grand Boutique Hotel this city has ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh