Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM

9,426 posts, read 13,125,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's not entirely true, white flight started with the great migration c WWI...and was exacerbated by new deal era policies like red lining that actually increased segregation. things like standard lot sizes meant that you couldn't get subsidized mortgages (also a new deal era invention) for city homes since they often didn't fit the lot requirements. white flight probably peaked in the mid-60's but it didn't start then. one reason people lived in small homes prior to the 30's is they had to get private loans without government subsidies..and they often required larger down payments...hence lower prices and smaller homes.
I said "took center stage," not "start."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,138,783 times
White flight began right after WWII and in many cities was in full swing by the 1950s. Those returning GIs and their families needed "breathing room" because during the war, the Second Great Migration and other factors had led to a large influx of minorities into central cities, and practices like redlining, race-based restrictive covenants, various ill-conceived and in part racially-motivated redevelopment projects, and so on, all contributed to heightening the perceived connection between minority populations and urban dysfunction.

Edit: As pman also pointed out. I don't know what "center stage" means, but certainly by the 1950s, white flight was a major factor contributing to the depopulation of many central cities.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM

10,237 posts, read 16,908,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I said "took center stage," not "start."
yes you did, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
White flight began right after WWII and in many cities was in full swing by the 1950s. Those returning GIs and their families needed "breathing room" because during the war, the Second Great Migration and other factors had led to a large influx of minorities into central cities, and practices like redlining, race-based restrictive covenants, various ill-conceived and in part racially-motivated redevelopment projects, and so on, all contributed to heightening the perceived connection between minority populations and urban dysfunction.

Edit: As pman also pointed out. I don't know what "center stage" means, but certainly by the 1950s, white flight was a major factor contributing to the depopulation of many central cities.
It actually started earlier but was put on hold since people moved much less during the depression and the war but those with means had been moving out since the great migration (although on class basis, some had started to leave cities with the backlash against the gilded age). that said, I don't much disagree.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM

802 posts, read 1,327,544 times
No offense to those who choose to live there, but I find the suburbs to be bland and boring. Yes cities have their share of problems, the most prominent being crime. I'll take city life over the suburbs any day, however.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 PM

9,426 posts, read 13,125,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
No offense to those who choose to live there, but I find the suburbs to be bland and boring. Yes cities have their share of problems, the most prominent being crime. I'll take city life over the suburbs any day, however.
Agreed with regard to PGH suburbs, so long as if I end up having a family, I can afford a good private school.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
It actually started earlier but was put on hold since people moved much less during the depression and the war but those with means had been moving out since the great migration (although on class basis, some had started to leave cities with the backlash against the gilded age). that said, I don't much disagree.
Yeah, I guess it becomes a definitional issue. Up through WWII, central city populations were still growing on a net basis, but it is true minority populations had started gaining share long before then, and as you point out, higher-income whites were disproportionately moving out.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM

10,237 posts, read 16,908,424 times
Quote:
[LEFT]The Pittsburgh Urban Redevelopment Authority on Thursday will consider seeking $500,000 from the state to help fund the $74.8 million Gardens at Market Square project, Downtown...[LEFT]It will consist of a 17-story high-rise building with 113,000 square feet of office and retail space, a Hilton Garden Inn hotel with 176 rooms and an above-ground parking garage with 332 spaces. Completion is projected for 2013

Read more: URA may seek $500,000 for Downtown work - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review URA may seek $500,000 for Downtown work - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Very nice to see The Gardens moving along. I was a little unhappy originally when it became an office/hotel project rather than a residential project, but with all the other residential conversions in the works Downtown, I'm now fine with that, and another hotel next to Market Square should be great support for the growing scene there.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,935,657 times
Do they have any updated renderings of what the Building will look like?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Do they have any updated renderings of what the Building will look like?
I'm glad you asked because it made me look, and I found this:

200 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15222 - Office Building Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

My initial impression is that the office portion will go along pretty well with Three PNC and the upcoming PNC Tower, and isn't overshadowing the lovely historic highrises along Fourth.

The hotel portion, on the other hand, strikes me as really ungainly and outdated. About all I can say in its favor is that I can see how they are making use of "Market Square views".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh