Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM

10,240 posts, read 16,944,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Love those guys and I'm glad they're moving downtown. They really do have the best ticketing system on the market.
Quote:
[LEFT]Mr. Dziabiak is planning to relocate the company from a small Shadyside office to a 13,000-square-foot space Downtown in October. He wants to add at least 20 new employees to his team of 32 and develop the company into a household name -- something he does not think will be as hard to do in Pittsburgh as those telling him to flee to Silicon Valley seem to believe.
"Trying to start a technology entertainment company in Pittsburgh presented challenges. Everyone was telling me I should go out West.
"But Pittsburgh has embraced us. We're committed to always being headquartered in Pittsburgh."

Read more: Pittsburgh-based Showclix allows ticket purchases from smartphones
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Flourishing business is moving MAYA to new digs downtown.

The new headquarters will be located on the 16th floor of 444 Liberty Ave. in the Gateway Center, giving the multi-dimensional firm more than 19,000 square-feet for company growth and new hires. The Maya companies include Maya Design, LUMA Institute, Rhiza Labs and Maya Group
Maya moves downtown; Seegrid goes international, hiring

Quote:
Diamond Market Bar & Grill will be treated to "two-fisted" (no surprise there) chargrilled hamburgers, deli sandwiches, classic cocktails and two dozen draft beers among the selections...The Diamond Market Bar & Grill is scheduled to open at 430 Market Square the week of Sept. 25.
The new restaurant will feature 1930s-style decor, a large dining room and a covered patio that will seat 50...
In addition to burgers and deli sandwiches, the menu will feature six entrees each night, a large selection of fine bourbons and wines, and live entertainment on weekends. Fourteen craft beers will be among the draft selections.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11251...#ixzz1YbVMCUGL

Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,195,633 times
A place like Diamond Market is exactly what Market Square needed to add to its lineup (and which Winghart's can't quite be for lack of space--but competition is healthy!). I also love the name.

Incidentally, that bit about a group parking valet was interesting. I know some people are claiming Downtown Pittsburgh doesn't have any sort of street parking shortage, but when businesses are setting up valet services, that suggests otherwise.

Edit: Also, I think this is an opportunity to reflect on how ridiculously successful the Market Square renovation has ended up. Of course there was bound to be more activity in the general area as Downtown has developed, but the new Market Square has become an instant focus of that activity, proving to be a great multi-purpose venue for lunch gathering, evening gathering, and events of all sorts, and there is now all sorts of development occurring around Market Square.

So, the people involved in that project deserve a lot of credit for a job well done.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM

the focus on burgers is a bit puzzling I suppose but a full service bar with a really good (though one might say they don't have enough craft beers ; ) beer list is definitely something that is needed...as is another place with later hours to complement nola...and someone to direct people how to get into velas. hopefully they'll make a good pork sandwich and maybe even put fish tacos on the menu.

Quote:
Walczak believes the restaurant’s location in the heart of Market Square is a major factor in attracting customers. On nights when there are band performances, NOLA customers overflow into neighboring restaurants’ outdoor seating.
“We weren’t quite prepared for the volume we were doing consistently every night [when we opened],” Walczak said. “We’re prepared for it now, but we had to make a lot of changes because we weren’t expecting that type of response
http://www.pointparknewsservice.com/...er-renovation/

Last edited by pman; 09-21-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM

So I checked out their menu and it is really a smorgasbord of American comfort foods (to mix nationalities). The burgers are prominent but not the focus like at Winghart's or other gourmet burger places. Two things I was particularly pleased to see: a Turkey Devonshire (not my cup of tea, but the wife likes them, and it is a fine Pittsburgh tradition), and a take on poutine with white cheddar (what can I say--I have Canadian ancestors).

On the other hand, the beer list was a little "meh" for me--I guess I am spoiled, and it did have an East End selection, but most of the "craft" beers are pretty common microbrew choices.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 PM

32,644 posts, read 78,082,595 times
As someone who loves meat, meat, and more meat just for good measure (cue the gay jokes in 3, 2, 1...) I welcome another burger restaurant to our beloved city!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,289 times
Looks like Regional Enterprise tower may became apartments after all.

Philly developer set to buy 3rd Downtown building

Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 AM

That would be such a great residential project--I really hope it happens.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That would be such a great residential project--I really hope it happens.
PMC usually gets their projects done and whatever else they might be, they own a ton of property in great locations in Philly because they bought before other big companies remembered the city existed. It would appear they are betting on downtown pittsburgh making the same sort of comeback. maybe that will help bring some life to mellon

Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 AM

PMC does seem to be looking at Pittsburgh as an opportunity to simply re-use its Philly strategy, which is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh