Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:26 AM

149 posts, read 608,261 times

Advertisements

The next two from Allegheny County, in the 101-150th list are West Allegheny-121st and Riverview (Oakmont)-150th. Still pretty darn good out of 693!

I think state school rankings are a bit difficult, as there are quite a few counties without a metropolitan area included in their scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I think state school rankings are a bit difficult, as there are quite a few counties without a metropolitan area included in their scores.
I agree. I think that looking into rankings w/o taking anything else into account is not very helpful. The rankings also don't tell you how your kid will do in a school.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:00 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtomovenorth View Post
hopes,
Where did you get these rankings from? I'm just curious b/c as my username implies, I'm also looking to move and I was looking at HS rankings from newsweek.
Those Newsweek rankings are based on a single criteria: the ratio of AP courses taken to the # of graduating seniors. It's been debated a lot as it doesn't even try to account for results (if you failed the exam it still counts in the Newsweek rankings).

While Hopes' link has the opposite problem (using only test scores doesn't control for the student's ability before entering HS, historically linked to stuff such as the parents' wealth), at least it looks at results, not just school policy.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg
Those Newsweek rankings are based on a single criteria: the ratio of AP courses taken to the # of graduating seniors. It's been debated a lot as it doesn't even try to account for results (if you failed the exam it still counts in the Newsweek rankings).
Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
While Hopes' link has the opposite problem (using only test scores doesn't control for the student's ability before entering HS, historically linked to stuff such as the parents' wealth), at least it looks at results, not just school policy.
You can also access the scores achieved in elementary and middle school years on the site I provided.

While wealth is a contributing factor for success, there are some surprising schools with a low wealth population that are doing very well, and other schools that have significantly higher wealth that are doing poorly.

In the end, I also agree that results are the best benchmark in absence of a perfect measure.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:34 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Here's another ranking ---

USC Ranked Best School District In Pa.; Complete List Inside - News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

Old 06-03-2007, 10:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It would be nice to know what criteria they used. It doesn't say in the story. Maybe you need to watch the video. I think I'll pass.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
Default Franklin Regional

Thanks for the information on school rankings. I was pleased to see Franklin Regional ranking so high. However, your link by the listing was incorrect. Franklin REGIONAL school district is not in Franklin, PA. It is in Murrysville/Export/Delmont in Westmoreland County. This is an important distinction for someone relocating to the area. Also for someone (like myself)trying to sell a house in Murrysville!

Thanks

Old 09-21-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpzebro View Post
Thanks for the information on school rankings. I was pleased to see Franklin Regional ranking so high. However, your link by the listing was incorrect. Franklin REGIONAL school district is not in Franklin, PA. It is in Murrysville/Export/Delmont in Westmoreland County. This is an important distinction for someone relocating to the area. Also for someone (like myself)trying to sell a house in Murrysville!
I didn't mention the location of Franklin Regional in this thread.

There was a different thread where I believe I incorrectly stated the location of the school district.

Regardless, thanks for clarifying. I can understand why you're so passionate about it!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM

176 posts, read 767,021 times
I deem HOPES info more accurate than the WTAE list....Because I have a school district list that is purchased by real estate professionals..

It has USC at # 24...

Hopes, you forgot one Mt. Lebo grade school...Howe Elementary...where do they have them ranked????

Old 09-21-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
Hopes, you forgot one Mt. Lebo grade school...Howe Elementary...
That's because I stopped at 154 for elementary schools (100 for high schools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
where do they have them ranked????
264 out of 1811
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh