Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times

Advertisements

Here are the facts, and Pittsburgh is relatively safe.

239th most dangerous metro

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/Metro%20...gerous_14E.pdf

67th most dangerous city

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%204...gerous_14E.pdf

Other data at

CQ Press: Media City Crime 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Here are the facts, and Pittsburgh is relatively safe.

239th most dangerous metro

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/Metro%20...gerous_14E.pdf

67th most dangerous city

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/City%204...gerous_14E.pdf

Other data at

CQ Press: Media City Crime 2007
I live in #4.... oh well.

It's my understanding that the FBI isn't happy about the way these stats are used... but I haven't heard why.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,618 times
I don't trust stats especially morgans, but if stats make you feel better then so be it. Even if true stats only tell half of the story.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
PPG

I don't know if anybody has realized that Pittsburgh is in the top part of that list.!!!???

Old 11-20-2007, 02:46 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
I don't know if anybody has realized that Pittsburgh is in the top part of that list.!!!???
Which of the two lists are you talking about? I thought we'd covered that topic well before. When the metro area base is used, Pittsburgh looks relatively safe. When the central city numbers only are used, Pittsburgh looks relatively dangerous.

My contention (and, I guess, zip95's contention since he deemed Pittsburgh to be "relatively safe") is that if you want to compare apples with apples, the metro area comparison is the best one. My argument is that Pittsburgh as a central city is very small compared to the whole metro area, ie. it encompasses most neighborhoods of the "inner city" type but almost no neighborhood of the "suburban" type, compared with other cities like San Antonio, Columbus or Las Vegas.

Pittsburgh or San Antonio, although extreme examples, are not particularly unique in that regard. There are many examples of this, and this is another indication why I'd much rather use metropolitan area numbers rather than city numbers.

(Note: if you want to figure out whether you're better off living in the city or in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, then this may be an argument to live in the suburbs if crime is a big issue for you. Then two points are in order 1) this is the case for ANY city in the US (suburbs = lower crime), and 2) even within such a 'small' central city as Pittsburgh, there are large, quiet areas and isolated pockets of very high crime (e.g. Swisshelm Park, Squirrel Hill North or Morningside vs. Cal-Kirkbride, Manchester or Homewood), so even then the actual 'city crime rate' may not mean very much.)

Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
PPG

I was speaking of the Pittsburgh proper list. It's pretty high up there. Higher than some would lead you to think.
As for the metro, aren't you really just talking up the suburbs? The same suburbs that could care less how the city does? Perhaps there should be a suburb forum. At the top of this page it says Pittsburgh city forum.
As for the OP, I don't understand what the title means? Pittsburgh relative....., relative to what? Relative to a city of about 330,000 with the same demographics?...Or relative to the worse city? I think you want it to be the latter.?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
Quote:
As for the OP, I don't understand what the title means? Pittsburgh relative....., relative to what? Relative to a city of about 330,000 with the same demographics?...Or relative to the worse city? I think you want it to be the latter.?
I guess it's all perspective.

From my perspective 67th (relative to other cities) is pretty safe. From my perspective, anything not in the top 20-30 would be pretty safe.

But, I can understand how some one else could have a different perspective.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
I was speaking of the Pittsburgh proper list. It's pretty high up there. Higher than some would lead you to think.
As for the metro, aren't you really just talking up the suburbs? The same suburbs that could care less how the city does? Perhaps there should be a suburb forum. At the top of this page it says Pittsburgh city forum.
I know that many suburbanites couldn't care less about city crime. But the city crime rankings use a RATE, ie crime/population. When the city population includes suburban subdivisions, population increases a lot, violent crime barely does, so the murder rate is lower. That's just a no-brainer. What I was saying is that metro areas, while they may encompass areas that could care less about crime, don't have the same arbitrariness that municipal boundaries do.

Secondly, it's your call that this forum is supposed to be about the city proper, not mine. Well over half of the posts on this forum are about one Pittsburgh suburb or another. This is definitely not just about the city proper.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM
PPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I know that many suburbanites couldn't care less about city crime. But the city crime rankings use a RATE, ie crime/population. When the city population includes suburban subdivisions, population increases a lot, violent crime barely does, so the murder rate is lower. That's just a no-brainer. What I was saying is that metro areas, while they may encompass areas that could care less about crime, don't have the same arbitrariness that municipal boundaries do.

Secondly, it's your call that this forum is supposed to be about the city proper, not mine. Well over half of the posts on this forum are about one Pittsburgh suburb or another. This is definitely not just about the city proper.
Dude, just give it up! You are simply are trying to make Pittsburgh appear better than it actually is. Your argument is bunk. It's just like saying "hey California is bad but when you look at the united states as a whole, it's very safe." You want people to look at the metro crime because it will make the city look better. Who and why are you trying to fool? You are trying to minimalize.
Like zip said, you can look at the stats and see what you wanna see. Perspective.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM

84 posts, read 411,460 times
Did that "most dangerous cities" list just say that Pittsburgh was worse crime-wise than New York city? I find that very hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh