Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM

68 posts, read 189,815 times

Advertisements

I access KDKA and PPG news online everyday and it seems like everyday there are reports of shootings . I'm fairly new to this area so its a little disconcerting.

To be fair it seems to be concentrated in a couple of areas. Wexford/Mccandless/Upper St Claire are some areas which don't seem to have these incidents.

Has it always been like this? Or has there been a marked increase lately?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,472 times
Once summer hits the black people start shooting each other for some reason. As long as you don't live in the wrong neighborhoods/crappy suburbs you will be fine.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Overall the violent crime rate in the Pittsburgh Metro Area is pretty low for a bigger metro, and it has actually been declining lately. Of course the long-standing motto of local news outlets is "If it bleeds, it leads." So you won't get an accurate sense of crime statistics/trends from monitoring local outlets.

By the way, the violent crime we do get is fairly concentrated, meaning outside certain limited areas, the violent crime rate is even lower than the overall Metro average, and the areas with below-average crime rates are actually much more extensive than the areas with above-average crime rates. That doesn't make our violent crime any less of a public policy issue, but it does mean that on an individual level, it is rather easy here to avoid significant exposure to violent crime (of course most violent crime isn't between strangers anyway, and instead involves family members, co-criminals, or so on).

Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Once summer hits the black people start shooting each other for some reason. As long as you don't live in the wrong neighborhoods/crappy suburbs you will be fine.

Could you be just a little bit more racist?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Could you be just a little bit more racist?
I'm not racist. I am merely stating a fact; just like most serial killers are middle-aged white males. Most shootings that occur per capita are between black people and in black neighborhoods.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Oddly enough, every day I see a bunch of black people who appear to be neither shot nor shooting at anyone.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Why, just the other day I saw a black man without a gun.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I'm not racist. I am merely stating a fact; just like most serial killers are middle-aged white males. Most shootings that occur per capita are between black people and in black neighborhoods.

That's true actually, it's just that the world has gotten too PC to discuss such things....which is sad because you cannot even hope to make a difference if you cannot talk about it without being labeled a racist.

Simply talking about or saying something concerning race is NOT racist. Racism comes into play only when you make it derogatory in some fashion.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Oddly enough, every day I see a bunch of black people who appear to be neither shot nor shooting at anyone.
Of course you do. This does not mitigate the fact that the vast majority of shootings in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area are being perpetrated by young black males. This is not an indictment upon the black race as a whole, but it is an honest portrayal of a serious social problem and it is relevant to the subject that the OP brought up.

But, such things are too anti-P.C. to discuss and I thoroughly expect to be banned shortly...again!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
That's true actually, it's just that the world has gotten too PC to discuss such things....which is sad because you cannot even hope to make a difference if you cannot talk about it without being labeled a racist.

Simply talking about or saying something concerning race is NOT racist. Racism comes into play only when you make it derogatory in some fashion.
Exactly. If I criticize the white trash that populate my hometown nobody would bat an eye. But, if I politely examine a social phenomenon/problem that is largely resting in the black community then I am a racist. Funny how that works.

But, I digress. Let's stop this line of discussion and point to the fact that Pittsburgh has a relatively low crime rate for an area of its population (as BrianTH stated so eloquently).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh