Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,105,437 times

Advertisements

A lot of the shootings I see on the news seem to be occuring in places like the cities of McKeesport and Duquesne, not in Pittsburgh. Although today there was a news item about a shooting in East Liberty.

Shootings happen all over, even in good neighborhoods (remember the shootings in Stanton Heights last year?). However, the news reports all the bad stuff. We sort of have a culture of fear. Main point is shootings happen in the suburbs and the city.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 PM

3,189 posts, read 5,010,492 times
I never go to Fox Chapel without dawning my body armor

Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 980 times
Funny how if iwonderwhy makes that statement he/she is labeled a racist but if say Dr. Harry Edwards makes a similar comment,albiet a bit more eloquently, he's called thoughtful and insightful...just sayin'

Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,073,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Exactly. If I criticize the white trash that populate my hometown nobody would bat an eye. But, if I politely examine a social phenomenon/problem that is largely resting in the black community then I am a racist. Funny how that works.
Quote:
Once summer hits the black people start shooting each other for some reason. As long as you don't live in the wrong neighborhoods/crappy suburbs you will be fine.
How is that politely examining a social issue? First off it's a generalization to say "the black people" anything. On top of that your original statement was just too nonchalant. It just happens "for some reason"...that's really examining something to a deep degree there.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,807,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiscean View Post
I access KDKA and PPG news online everyday and it seems like everyday there are reports of shootings . I'm fairly new to this area so its a little disconcerting.

To be fair it seems to be concentrated in a couple of areas. Wexford/Mccandless/Upper St Claire are some areas which don't seem to have these incidents.

Has it always been like this? Or has there been a marked increase lately?
It is a city. Not sure if you're new perhaps from a smaller town, but the concentration of population in an area like this means yes you will hear about some violent crime on a regular basis.

That said, it's NOT by any means widespread. Crime is less prevalent here than in other cities of similar population. The rate of shootings may fluctuate up and down some, but I'm not aware of any notable uptick.

It's the local news: if it bleeds it leads.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,198,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
How is that politely examining a social issue? First off it's a generalization to say "the black people" anything. . . .
Exactly. The original statement in question isn't subject to the defenses subsequently being offered for it, because it was actually just a silly and offensive generalization, not an accurate statement of fact.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,201,954 times
Bahhh....I don't want to get into a debate in this forum. It reflects badly upon the 'Burgh. I officially retract my statement. But, at the same time I don't apologize at all for relaying the blunt truth.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 AM

362 posts, read 923,709 times
Quote:
Exactly. If I criticize the white trash that populate my hometown nobody would bat an eye. But, if I politely examine a social phenomenon/problem that is largely resting in the black community then I am a racist. Funny how that works.

But, I digress. Let's stop this line of discussion and point to the fact that Pittsburgh has a relatively low crime rate for an area of its population (as BrianTH stated so eloquently).
Nothing racist about your original statement, simply an observation. "The white people" are ripped on all the time and yet THAT seems to be o.k. in society. FYI............racism goes BOTH WAYS, it's NOT just a "white-thing".

Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 AM

296 posts, read 564,413 times
It's not just Pittsburgh where stories of violence lead the news, its everywhere. For psychological reasons to be discussed elsewhere, that kind of story draws in viewers more than leading off with info about a "Save the Squirrels" farm.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,198,896 times
Quote:
I officially retract my statement. But, at the same time I don't apologize at all for relaying the blunt truth.
You aren't retracting it if you are still claiming what you said is true.

And what you said originally was not in fact actually true. It was hyperbole, and you are trying to run away from the fact that you originally thought it was a good idea to engage in a hyperbole that reinforces a negative stereotype of black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh