Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2022, 05:52 AM

468 posts, read 123,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Man shot in leg in Turtle Creek, Allegheny County police investigating

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/alle...edium=news_tab

Driver threatened with gun in Pittsburgh

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/pittsbur...ood-boulevard/
Beechwood and forward, really -- seems like road rage to me. I'm all for supporting the police and tough sentences, but Christ, I don't understand how part of the solution isn't reducing the supply of guns. David Axlerod often makes the point that we have like 10x's or 11x's the gun violence of other nations, and the key distinguishing feature of the US is not that we have 10x's the mental illness, but 10x's the guns. Seems like a no brainer.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:23 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
Just a little anxiety and mild ocd....
thats so many people, and probably always HAS been just about 'everyone' to some extent.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
B...David Axlerod often makes the point that we have like 10x's or 11x's the gun violence of other nations, and the key distinguishing feature of the US is not that we have 10x's the mental illness, but 10x's the guns. Seems like a no brainer.
because with a gun around, we are mesmerized to use it for violence?

no, its because people are simply low lifes, with no conscious of the their self-control, and so on.

gun DOES NOT EQUAL impulsive violence

modern American DOES equal an impulsive, arrogant, egotistical person who gets angry because someone is driving too slowly for them to hurry to a red light. shoot the bastard.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:28 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
because with a gun around, we are mesmerized to use it for violence?

no, its because people are simply low lifes, with no conscious of the their self-control, and so on.

gun DOES NOT EQUAL impulsive violence

modern American DOES equal an impulsive, arrogant, egotistical person who gets angry because someone is driving too slowly for them to hurry to a red light. shoot the bastard.
Bingo…but many prefer to blame guns than the loser violent/repeat violent criminals that use them because putting them away for life, capital punishment, etc…, is being a big meanie.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
thats so many people, and probably always HAS been just about 'everyone' to some extent.
Thanks! Erie says anyone who even raises the issue of gun control thinks guns are "icky" but I don't -- I grew up in a hunting family and my "baby book" is filled with weird pics of me (and my mum) next to dead animals:

https://imgur.com/SR8xSmC

Old 09-28-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Erie says anyone who even raises the issue of gun control thinks guns are "icky" but I don't -- I grew up in a hunting family and my "baby book" is filled with weird pics of me (and my mum) next to dead animals:

https://imgur.com/SR8xSmC
no.....*sigh*

my reply quoted a specific line from your earlier post! about anxiety and whatnot.

i just made an observation that anxiety and OCD is in many people (in some form) and probably always has. this was a supportive statement meaning that "little anxiety and mild ocd" is not debilitating and probably not preventing someone from being a responsible, intelligent, well-educated adult.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…but many prefer to blame guns than the loser violent/repeat violent criminals that use them because putting them away for life, capital punishment, etc…, is being a big meanie.
It's not about "blaming" guns -- it's about a practical, no brainer solution -- low life's and violence are gonna be with us. Reducing the supply of guns will reduce gun violence, period. The idea of guns for hunting was deeply inculcated into our life, but this idea of guns as "lifestyle," or guns for protection, or guns to protect against "government tyranny," I do have a hard time identifying with that. I mean, you go up in Lawrence and Mercer county and you see billboards for gun shops (maybe around here too, but just noticed it up there). Very odd -- notwithstanding the ubiquity of hunting and hunting rifles in this area.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
no.....*sigh*

my reply quoted a specific line from your earlier post! about anxiety and whatnot.

i just made an observation that anxiety and OCD is in many people (in some form) and probably always has. this was a supportive statement meaning that "little anxiety and mild ocd" is not debilitating and probably not preventing someone from being a responsible, intelligent, well-educated adult.
I appreciate that clarification. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2022, 06:52 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
“They’re really not open to understanding,” Mendez said. Adding that she feels more comfortable discussing her same-sex relationship with friends than her guns. “I definitely am more closeted being a gun owner, for fear of retaliation.”

Both Mendez and Regalado at first worried about the type of people they encounter at the gun range, many of whom, they say, advertise their conservative politics in what they’re wearing or listening to.

“It’s mostly all men, mostly all white men, older men like 70s, 80s,” Mendez said. “Seeing people looking at us, and kind of just staring… It always makes us more uncomfortable. Because we’re like, ‘oh my God are they going to come and tell us, like, get out of here… you don’t belong here.’”

Instead, they’ve gotten a different reaction.

“They’re like, ‘Hey, you’re doing well, but can I show you something that might help you more?,” Mendez said.

Mendez says not only has it changed her impression of those individuals, but she also believes it’s given some a different perception of people like her.

While white men have the highest rates of gun ownership in the US, one survey shows that in the first half of 2021 roughly 90% of retailers saw a surge in gun sales to African Americans. The same survey found that about 80% of retailers reported an increase in firearm purchases by Hispanic and Asian Americans.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/us/gu...eaj/index.html
An article that those who are against guns need to read.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:55 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
An article that those who are against guns need to read.
Excellent article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh