Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 08:06 AM

99 posts, read 110,103 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I like to follow Pittsburgh area developments and would like information or updates that anyone may have on the progress (or lack thereof) of the following items:

1) Esplande on the North Shore
https://millcraftideas.com/portfolio...0North%20Side.

The last I have read, Millcraft still plans to start construction, but I have not seen any progress on the site as of yet.

2) Hazelwood Green on the Mon River
https://nextpittsburgh.com/latest-ne...zelwood-green/

I know CMU has or will move into the area, and the solar panels are pretty innovative. A site this large will eventually need one or two major tenants though. Have any been announced yet?

3) Civic Arena Development
https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...pproves-plans/

Perhaps the largest single development on-going in Allegheny County (airport would probably be closest competitor), this list wouldn't be complete without the Penguin's plans to erect a tower for FNB and potentially a music/concert venue for Live Nation. Any updates or details on this one? The 579 Cap project is actually ahead of schedule but I have seen no progress on the asphalt sea as of yet.

4) Dormont Junction TOD Development
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...s/201904250008

A pretty unique and innovative way to link T transit and mixed-use real estate development together. I liked the original plan, but haven't heard much on this one since the article linked. Any updates or plans that anyone else is aware of?

5) Pittsburgh Cultural Trust Condo and Tower Development
https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...stival-season/

The last I understand, the Trust's developer backed out of erecting an 80 unit condo project subsequent to this article. I also believe that the 9th and Penn garage has already been demolished. Are there any announcements from the Trust for what their plans are?

6) Pittsburgh Zoo Top of the World Development
https://americanbuildersquarterly.co...-zoo-aquarium/

The Pittsburgh Zoo has long planned to develop the remaining 77 acres that it owns, by dividing up four phases of separate development projects. Phases I and II, the Islands and Jungle Trails are complete. The linked article says Phase III site prep is underway. Does anyone have any info on what the phases III and IV will consist of? When will they be completed?

7) North Shore Gold Lot 4 Development
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...e-development/

I quite like this design, and am a big fan of further development and "densification" on the North Shore. Is this project approved or are there still steps to take with the planning commission?

8) Wholey's warehouse building development
https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...-office-tower/

This development came completely out of left field for me. The developer released a rendering, which the city did not like. Have there been any updates or info on next steps for this one? I'd like to see downtown and the strip district further integrated, and I think a large scale building would only help move the "downtown feel" north of 579.

Any info or updates, or rational discussion is encouraged. I ask for everyone to please stay away from political rants and let's just stay on topic with the facts. Overall, I'm excited for the development in Pittsburgh right now. It could be better, yes of course, but it could also be much worse haha :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 09:01 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty01 View Post
I like to follow Pittsburgh area developments and would like information or updates that anyone may have on the progress (or lack thereof) of the following items:
There's more discussion regarding these things in the other place. I cannot provide a direct link there because city-data considers it a competitor site.

Quote:
1) Esplande on the North Shore
https://millcraftideas.com/portfolio...0North%20Side.

The last I have read, Millcraft still plans to start construction, but I have not seen any progress on the site as of yet.
Last I have heard the project has been scaled back a bit, but it's still going forward.

Quote:
2) Hazelwood Green on the Mon River
https://nextpittsburgh.com/latest-ne...zelwood-green/

I know CMU has or will move into the area, and the solar panels are pretty innovative. A site this large will eventually need one or two major tenants though. Have any been announced yet?
Not sure if you're referring to all of Hazelwood Green or just Mill 19. Mill 19 is pretty close to totally built out now. There's no signs as of yet of any interest as of yet in any of the completely vacant parcels.

Quote:
3) Civic Arena Development
https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...pproves-plans/

Perhaps the largest single development on-going in Allegheny County (airport would probably be closest competitor), this list wouldn't be complete without the Penguin's plans to erect a tower for FNB and potentially a music/concert venue for Live Nation. Any updates or details on this one? The 579 Cap project is actually ahead of schedule but I have seen no progress on the asphalt sea as of yet.
Little has been in the news since May when the Penguins briefly walked away from the table only to come back again. The FNB project appears to be much more likely to come to fruition than the concert venue, although IIRC that project has not yet been before the Planning Commission, meaning it's a lot earlier on in its development cycle.

Quote:
4) Dormont Junction TOD Development
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...s/201904250008

A pretty unique and innovative way to link T transit and mixed-use real estate development together. I liked the original plan, but haven't heard much on this one since the article linked. Any updates or plans that anyone else is aware of?
Nope.

Quote:
5) Pittsburgh Cultural Trust Condo and Tower Development
https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...stival-season/

The last I understand, the Trust's developer backed out of erecting an 80 unit condo project subsequent to this article. I also believe that the 9th and Penn garage has already been demolished. Are there any announcements from the Trust for what their plans are?
The old garage, along with the Duff's building, have been knocked down. The Cultural Trust also seeks to demolish the former Pizza Parma building. The new garage hasn't started construction yet, but it is planned to be built mid-block, allowing for open land fronting on Penn as deep as the two remaining historic buildings, allowing a solid rectangular parcel which could be developed through integrating the two existing historic facades.

Everything else I've heard is just behind-the-scenes rumors.

Quote:
6) Pittsburgh Zoo Top of the World Development
https://americanbuildersquarterly.co...-zoo-aquarium/

The Pittsburgh Zoo has long planned to develop the remaining 77 acres that it owns, by dividing up four phases of separate development projects. Phases I and II, the Islands and Jungle Trails are complete. The linked article says Phase III site prep is underway. Does anyone have any info on what the phases III and IV will consist of? When will they be completed?
I have heard they plan to build a new hall of reptiles further up the hill. Its sort of awkward right now how they are shunted into the Children's Zoo in the World of Discovery, where no childles adult would ever think to look.

Quote:
7) North Shore Gold Lot 4 Development
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...e-development/

I quite like this design, and am a big fan of further development and "densification" on the North Shore. Is this project approved or are there still steps to take with the planning commission?
It went before the planning commission. No idea where the project stands now.

Quote:
8) Wholey's warehouse building development
https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...-office-tower/

This development came completely out of left field for me. The developer released a rendering, which the city did not like. Have there been any updates or info on next steps for this one? I'd like to see downtown and the strip district further integrated, and I think a large scale building would only help move the "downtown feel" north of 579.
IIRC Peduto kinda pooped on the design all over Twitter, and we haven't had any word since then.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Thanks for posting. We have a few people on here that will be helpful I think. I am just happy to hear about some developments. Anything positive and forward looking is a breath of fresh air.

1) Esplande- Wow, that would be amazing. I hope it goes though like those pictures. I think it will be very successful.

3) Civic Arena Development - Again I certainly hope this finally happens.

6) Pittsburgh Zoo Top of the World Development - I have heard the Zoo isn't doing well due to the pandemic, so I don't know what is going to happen there. The idea sure looks great. Didn't know that had that much land sitting there.

Hopefully you get some good updates. Thanks for posting.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:10 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's more discussion regarding these things in the other place. I cannot provide a direct link there because city-data considers it a competitor site.
This is what this forum needs. Sure there will be some dopes wanting to bring everyone down, but some of these I never heard about. I sort of figured everything was toast due to the pandemic, other than that "cap".

If you have more to offer, I know I would like to hear about it and I am sure others would as well. I don't like that other subform and it isn't very active really, not to mention boring.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is what this forum needs. Sure there will be some dopes wanting to bring everyone down, but some of these I never heard about. I sort of figured everything was toast due to the pandemic, other than that "cap".

If you have more to offer, I know I would like to hear about it and I am sure others would as well. I don't like that other subform and it isn't very active really, not to mention boring.
There's a lot of development still going on in the city. In the Strip District alone:

1. Oxford has broken ground on the next building in Three Crossings 2.0 now that "The Stacks" is completed.
2. Construction is underway on that new apartment building immediately downriver from the Cork Factory.
3. Terminal Building and 2400 Smallman rehabs are making good progress, with the attached parking garage on the latter finished.
4. Townhouses on the back side of the Terminal Building are about half finished.
5. The two new apartment buildings downriver from Edge 1909 are under construction.
6. Ground has broken on the "District 15 2.0 building.
7. Condo building being built on this site has topped out.
8. This building is slated to be rehabbed soon. It will have a huge bike store inside, among other things.
9. This smaller building is getting rehabbed. IIRC it is supposed to be a gym with apartments above.
10. New 49-unit condo building on the same block as Savoy.
12. This 21-unit condo project is breaking ground soon.

This is stuff that's either currently under construction, or has been recently approved. If I included projects which are somewhat doubtful (like the Papa J's development on the 2300 block of Penn) it could be substantially longer.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:52 AM
gg

Quote:
There's a lot of development still going on in the city. In the Strip District alone:

1. Oxford has broken ground on the next building in Three Crossings 2.0 now that "The Stacks" is completed.
2. Construction is underway on that new apartment building immediately downriver from the Cork Factory.
3. Terminal Building and 2400 Smallman rehabs are making good progress, with the attached parking garage on the latter finished.
4. Townhouses on the back side of the Terminal Building are about half finished.
5. The two new apartment buildings downriver from Edge 1909 are under construction.
6. Ground has broken on the "District 15 2.0 building.
7. Condo building being built on this site has topped out.
8. This building is slated to be rehabbed soon. It will have a huge bike store inside, among other things.
9. This smaller building is getting rehabbed. IIRC it is supposed to be a gym with apartments above.
10. New 49-unit condo building on the same block as Savoy.
12. This 21-unit condo project is breaking ground soon.

This is stuff that's either currently under construction, or has been recently approved. If I included projects which are somewhat doubtful (like the Papa J's development on the 2300 block of Penn) it could be substantially longer.
Wow this is great. I think I will print out your great info and take a bike ride soon to have a look around. It is nice to know there are things going ahead and looking forward to post-pendemic or whatever that will end up being. The Strip location is really so great. Between Lawrenceville/Downtown and pretty flat by our standards. This could also really help the city with tax revenue.

Do any of these developments have garage parking for two or more cars?

Do you know the plan for Club One? Will the Giant Eagle across the street be taken down and something going in? I remember seeing a plan and it look really nice.

Thanks. Did you know anything about the Pittsburgh Zoo? I know it isn't a big deal, but it looks pretty cool.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:19 AM

A bike ride sounds nice gg. If you start at Heinz history museum (on Liberty) traveling through the end of Lawrenceville, and then do a full "loop" back on the opposite side of the Strip, you'll see with your own eyes close to (if not exceeding) $1B in development currently under construction on that ride. It's quite impressive, relative to Pittsburgh development at least.

You are absolutely right regarding additional tax revenues. We should all be rooting for these current developments to be successful, which in turn will create demand for even more projects throughout the area subsequently.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Wow this is great. I think I will print out your great info and take a bike ride soon to have a look around. It is nice to know there are things going ahead and looking forward to post-pendemic or whatever that will end up being. The Strip location is really so great. Between Lawrenceville/Downtown and pretty flat by our standards. This could also really help the city with tax revenue.
Most of what I know about the first half is literally from a few bike rides through the Strip recently. I could look around online for renderings, but they were first approved a year or more ago, so I don't have them at my fingertips.

Quote:
Do any of these developments have garage parking for two or more cars?
I think all of the new medium-sized condo buildings have parking garages, but there is typically just one space per unit. You looking to move?

Quote:
Do you know the plan for Club One? Will the Giant Eagle across the street be taken down and something going in? I remember seeing a plan and it look really nice.
There is absolutely a plan for the Giant Eagle which has been made public.

I believe the residential component is 200+ units. I haven't heard anything recently, but Echo Realty has kicked out the other tenants and is planning on closing the Giant Eagle, so I'm pretty sure it's still going forward.

As for the Club One location, it was bought by The Davis Companies last year. They haven't come out with anything public yet, but the rumor is a mixed-use office/residential project. It might be more heavily residential given how the office market is now looking.

Quote:
Thanks. Did you know anything about the Pittsburgh Zoo? I know it isn't a big deal, but it looks pretty cool.
Again, the only thing I had heard is they plan to build a new reptile house and take them out of the World of Discovery.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:29 AM

Thanks Eschaton for your replies. If you'd indulge me further please, I have a few follow ups:

1) What part of Esplande has been paired down? I have always been skeptical of the lagoon or ferris wheel to actually come to fruition, but am not informed of the specifics yet.

2) I was probably using Mill 19 and Hazelwood Green interchangeably by mistake. I'm actually having difficulty wrapping my head around this entire site anyways. Do you have any links for some sort of master plan, if one is available, that I could look at?

3) I wasn't aware of the details of the planning commision's/URA approval for the Pens. I thought it was for the entire site, but it sounds like you are saying it was only for the FNB tower. If so, at least that part is moving forward but I do think the Live Nation venue would provide supply to "mid-tier" musicians that look to fill the 7K - 10K seating volume sites. Pittsburgh currently only supplies the 3K - 5K "up-and-comers" artists at Stage AE or the A-list artists that can fill the Paint Can, Burgettstown, or Heinz field.

5) Are you saying that once the new garage is finished, the Trust is essentially prepping the remainder of the site for future use once demand or planning catches up?

8) I was trying to stay unbiased by saying that "the city didn't like it," but yes you are exactly right. That's how it went down LOL.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:43 AM
gg

Quote:
You looking to move?

There is absolutely a plan for the Giant Eagle which has been made public.

I believe the residential component is 200+ units. I haven't heard anything recently, but Echo Realty has kicked out the other tenants and is planning on closing the Giant Eagle, so I'm pretty sure it's still going forward.

As for the Club One location, it was bought by The Davis Companies last year. They haven't come out with anything public yet, but the rumor is a mixed-use office/residential project. It might be more heavily residential given how the office market is now looking.
I like to keep an eye on things of interest, but not moving. I do tend to plan way ahead, but I don't know if I would do the city thing. I don't rule anything out as I am pretty open on my old man plans. Guess I just imagine what it would be like to live in different places. For all I know I will die here in Sharpsburg/Etna area.

So East Liberty and that big busway stop seems to be a really huge area for development. The amount of units that are going to go in over the next few years are really going to change that area even more. Would you agree the busway and how fast to downtown were a huge factor in creating a boom in that area? East Liberty used to be a wealthy great area. I realize with all the subsidized housing all over that area, it will never get back to "the good old days of wealth and greatness", but the more expensive units going in, will hopefully offset the crime element. Then the area were that dumpy section 8 place they tore down to get a Whole Foods in and I believe nice units there as well. It seems that area will get nicer from Braddock Ave all the way to downtown. Pretty exciting really. Wonder when that Whole Foods will get going? I rode by there a few weeks ago and it was just a lot pretty much, but fenced off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh