Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 05:47 PM

99 posts, read 110,763 times

Advertisements

The North Shore could use more residential units. I hope Continental holds to their word and builds something more than a parking garage on this space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 06:16 AM

755 posts, read 475,479 times
I guess this qualifies as development. The most interesting re-use of ecclesiastical space I have seen in a while. The woman behind it was inspired by a course she saw in Italy. When it opens it will have a limit of 10 people based on COVID-19 restrictions, which would be pretty cool in that size space: https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...estead-church/

Very admirable grassroots concept/mission. https://dragonsdenpgh.org/our-concept/

Old 09-02-2020, 07:11 AM

32,625 posts, read 77,775,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a new 45,000 square foot homeless shelter going up in downtown. This is the location - right by the Liberty Bridge, very close to the Pittsburgh Municipal Court building and the County Jail.

Honestly, I think this is a good location which will help fill in a gap in the downtown fabric. It's very unlikely anything market rate would ever be built there, given it's such an unappealing intersection and so far away from the core of downtown. Downtown has had a growing homelessness issue as well, and absolutely needs more shelter beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Smart to have it near the jail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Not to mention next door to the bail bondsman

I am glad to see new construction in that area. It will add some life to the area. For some the area is out of sight out of mind. Win win.
I actually work in the Municipal Courts Building and am excited to have this as our new neighbor across the street. Others in my building, however, namely females, are concerned about having a dense concentration of homeless people congregating near our building when they're arriving for work in the dark.

I can see their point and do hope that more street lighting can be added. Most homeless are generally harmless, but some have been aggressive with me (a male) in the past, so I'd be a bit leery as a woman walking alone in the dark.

Overall, though, this seems to be the best utilization of that parking lot. This is a sort of "pocket of social services" area of Downtown anyways. I'm surprised that the tenants of Terminal 21 haven't gone full-on NIMBY about this, though.

I'm hopeful that with more people working in this pocket we can attract some sort of cafe or something. The only place to easily walk to from here for lunch is Subway (meh) or the two Chinese restaurants (both good---but more variety would be nice).

Old 09-02-2020, 11:58 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,077,159 times
but isnt that 100 yards from the police station?

Old 09-02-2020, 03:08 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,910,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Overall, though, this seems to be the best utilization of that parking lot. This is a sort of "pocket of social services" area of Downtown anyways. I'm surprised that the tenants of Terminal 21 haven't gone full-on NIMBY about this, though.

I'm hopeful that with more people working in this pocket we can attract some sort of cafe or something. The only place to easily walk to from here for lunch is Subway (meh) or the two Chinese restaurants (both good---but more variety would be nice).
There's not many places to eat in our corner of town - and the volume just isn't there to sustain the restaurants, not with so many working from home during COVID. Mitchell's has never re-opened since March. Grant Street Tavern also hasn't reopened.

Not sure if Bea Taco Town has reopened or not, but if they are - thats a good spot that isnt too terribly far for you to walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
but isnt that 100 yards from the police station?
Police station?? Theres no police station on that side of town.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:00 PM

14,356 posts, read 17,096,760 times
Quote:
Is Gasoline Street Coffee Company still there?

My office recently relocated to the corner of Smithfield and Ft. Pitt, so I'm not that far away myself.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:54 AM

32,625 posts, read 77,775,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Is Gasoline Street Coffee Company still there?

My office recently relocated to the corner of Smithfield and Ft. Pitt, so I'm not that far away myself.
Yes, Gasoline Street is still inside the Terminal 21 building, and they have great breakfast sandwiches and carry soft pretzels for $1! Generally nice people, too (had a surly barista once---maybe he was just having a bad day).

Welcome to the First Side area. Me, you, and tyovan4 will all have to lock arms and skip down Smithfield Street sometime.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:55 AM

14,356 posts, read 17,096,760 times
Quote:
Welcome to the First Side area. Me, you, and tyovan4 will all have to lock arms and skip down Smithfield Street sometime.
I've met tyovan4 once IRL. We both showed up at a forum meetup event at Grist House.

But we're a long way away from meeting up IRL with anyone it seems.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:11 AM

807 posts, read 620,208 times
Given his viewpoints, or probably more accurately the degree to which he seems obsessed with particular societal ills, and the fact these coincide with aspects of society that are likely to create division (and not to mention his professed proclivity for international travel and connections) (and also toss in my love of movies in general and the Bourne films in particular), I guess I do (personally) refer to this poster as, "Putin's Etna Asset."

Old 09-03-2020, 11:15 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,910,566 times
Quote:
Me, you, and tyovan4 will all have to lock arms and skip down Smithfield Street sometime.
Smithfield St isn't too particularly appealing - but if you'd like to meet up at City Works or Las Velas, that'd be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Given his viewpoints, or probably more accurately the degree to which he seems obsessed with particular societal ills, and the fact these coincide with aspects of society that are likely to create division (and not to mention his professed proclivity for international travel and connections) (and also toss in my love of movies in general and the Bourne films in particular), I guess I do (personally) refer to this poster as, "Putin's Etna Asset."
I'm not a fan of Putin or his kleptocracy of the siloviki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh