Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 08:21 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,720,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
They increased the sample size to 15,000. Here are the NYC results by borough:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYGovCuom...02990355664899

While the numbers are high, it is not most of the NYC population.

The results do indicate that the virus is not as lethal as it is portrayed to be.
Bingo.... So it isn’t as contagious as we are led to believe, nor is it as lethal as it is portrayed. So why are we on total lockdown then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 06:21 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,566,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Oh, got it. Chicago is a mess, so you are really in the middle of it all.

Green by June 1st. Wow, that would be amazing, but I don't see it.
The city was well prepared and overall did a good job, despite how hard we got hit. Hospitals had enough PPE, they stopped other services to be able to absorb for the acute surge in critical care patients (which happened, at a significant level, in a very short window). It took a total change in operations and was a significant burden, but hospitals here have done a great job. The city had a large cache of emergency PPE as well that many hospitals didn't even need to tap into because they were well prepared. Agree I don't see green by June first, but if we are smart about re-opening it may not be far from that.

I'm not even going to entertain some people here that pretend to claim that it was "business as usual" at Chicago hospitals during the COVID peak though. Same goes for NYC. Nothing like somebody with zero firsthand experience acting like the expert. I don't care if the virus has a 0.001% mortality (which it likely doesn't, by the way). The novel nature of the virus, the rapid spread of the virus, the unknown mortality, and limited capacity healthcare system lead to a perfect storm that has already taken more lives than a typical flu season, and in much less time. The deluded attitudes and lack of perspective I see in some people that post here is shocking.

You all do realize that if the lockdown never occurred, social distancing never occurred, etc..the deaths would be in the millions by now? I'm not one to waste time arguing with people who assume they know what they're talking about and push wild conspiracies, so I'm going to tap out of this thread for my own sanity. I'll get back to supporting smart precautions that will allow us to get out of this mess ASAP.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:30 AM

12,531 posts, read 17,693,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post

You all do realize that if the lockdown never occurred, social distancing never occurred, etc..the deaths would be in the millions by now? I'm not one to waste time arguing with people who assume they know what they're talking about and push wild conspiracies, so I'm going to tap out of this thread for my own sanity. I'll get back to supporting smart precautions that will allow us to get out of this mess ASAP.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:03 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,254,039 times
Quote:
You all do realize that if the lockdown never occurred, social distancing never occurred, etc..the deaths would be in the millions by now?
I think it would have topped out at about 750,000 worse case, but unlikely. Herd immunity isn't even in that simple math, so not millions. Also, that number isn't taking into consideration what the warmer weather could bring, not to mention the millions upon millions that have already had this and didn't know it. Unknown so far. Nonetheless, we did a good job considering.

We do need to keep things real with the numbers. Not millions dead.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:03 AM

12,531 posts, read 17,693,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think it would have topped out at about 750,000 worse case, but unlikely. .
And your medical background is?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:36 AM

527 posts, read 325,271 times
Quote:
but thanks for demonstrating how you're not serious with the troll remark.

Bingo.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:51 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,720,449 times
Quote:
The city was well prepared and overall did a good job, despite how hard we got hit. Hospitals had enough PPE, they stopped other services to be able to absorb for the acute surge in critical care patients (which happened, at a significant level, in a very short window). It took a total change in operations and was a significant burden, but hospitals here have done a great job. The city had a large cache of emergency PPE as well that many hospitals didn't even need to tap into because they were well prepared. Agree I don't see green by June first, but if we are smart about re-opening it may not be far from that.

I'm not even going to entertain some people here that pretend to claim that it was "business as usual" at Chicago hospitals during the COVID peak though. Same goes for NYC. Nothing like somebody with zero firsthand experience acting like the expert. I don't care if the virus has a 0.001% mortality (which it likely doesn't, by the way). The novel nature of the virus, the rapid spread of the virus, the unknown mortality, and limited capacity healthcare system lead to a perfect storm that has already taken more lives than a typical flu season, and in much less time. The deluded attitudes and lack of perspective I see in some people that post here is shocking.

Where is the evidence to support your thoughts and feelings?

1. If it is contagious as we are led to believe than most of the population had this with mild or no symptoms at all. We haven’t tested anybody. Can’t eliminate it having a true mortality rate of .001%

2. If it isn’t as contagious as we are led to believe there is still evidence supporting a mortality rate of .001%

3. UPMC is one of the best healthcare systems in the country. A doctor officially stated this was nowhere near as bad as we thought.

I just don’t understand why people cannot step back and look at the overall numbers, deaths, total population and the 300 million folks we haven’t tested. Thoughts and feelings are trumping facts and numbers. The numbers and stats say this is nowhere near doomsday. The US has better healthcare than most nations in the world. We have health departments and regulations. We don’t eat raw meat like savages and butcher things with thousands of people around and no health department regs.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,232,266 times
Quote:

BINGO!

The mayor's decision to cancel the St. Patrick's Day parade and the states decision to close what they did and institute the stay at home order when our cases were still low paid massive dividends to our numbers. The simple fact is the longer you wait, the more people will get infected and will also be able to give it to others and so forth and then lengthening how long it will take for the measures put in place to pay off.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:20 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,122,697 times
May 3: new infections per day, from last 14 days, starting with most distant:

7, 17, 29, 61, 28, 21, 13, 13, 11, 38, 16, 30, 14, 12

looking good...even flow...comes around like summer time.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:26 AM

41,035 posts, read 18,523,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I just don’t understand why people cannot step back and look at the overall numbers, deaths, total population and the 300 million folks we haven’t tested. Thoughts and feelings are trumping facts and numbers. The numbers and stats say this is nowhere near doomsday. The US has better healthcare than most nations in the world. We have health departments and regulations. We don’t eat raw meat like savages and butcher things with thousands of people around and no health department regs.
Because media, fear, panic, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh