Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,446 times

Advertisements

Or, you could get a set of cables or chains to put on if you absolutely need to go out in horrible weather. Newer sets of chains/cables are fairly easy to put on and take off. Just pull over and take them off when you are done. More pocket friendly idea (possibly) if you keep your car for a decent length of time. All season tires would be plenty with the chains/cables as backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 36,901 times
I heard you can only use studded or chained tires during certain conditions, since you will contribute to further damage of the roads. But I never heard that they are required.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 715 times
It is not required for you to have studs it is just an option from October 1st - April 15th. However, if you do decide to get studs on a front wheel drive vehicle almost all garages will not put on just two due their insurance because if you put just two on instead of four your vehicle is more likely to fish tail. If you have an all wheel or four wheel drive vehicle you shouldn't have different tread designs or just two studded anyway because it will eventually destroy your transmission. If you have a rear wheel drive vehicle you can just put two studded on the back axle (or four studded on the back if you have a rear wheel drive duely)

Old 04-07-2019, 06:13 AM

39 posts, read 38,936 times
In Pennsylvania, studded tires are currently allowed for road use from November 1 to April 15. They are bad for the roads, but necessary in Pittsburgh because snow removal isn't that great. Just another research project from Pittsburgh James.

https://itstillruns.com/pennsylvania...s-7477383.html

Old 04-07-2019, 06:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsing59 View Post
In Pennsylvania, studded tires are currently allowed for road use from November 1 to April 15. They are bad for the roads, but necessary in Pittsburgh because snow removal isn't that great. Just another research project from Pittsburgh James.
Cons outweigh the pros on studded tires in our region since you rarely are driving on snow/ice around here. On dry or wet pavement studded tires are horrible. i will never understand anyone buying them anymore considering how great good snow tires are these days. Blizzaks and others are just superior in every way. In Pittsburgh all-seasons are enough. I can't see driving on tires that don't do well in wet considering our roads are wet so much of the time.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:05 AM

433 posts, read 287,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Cons outweigh the pros on studded tires in our region since you rarely are driving on snow/ice around here. On dry or wet pavement studded tires are horrible. i will never understand anyone buying them anymore considering how great good snow tires are these days. Blizzaks and others are just superior in every way. In Pittsburgh all-seasons are enough. I can't see driving on tires that don't do well in wet considering our roads are wet so much of the time.
I completely agree. Studded snow tires seem ridiculous given how much it doesn't snow and how good tires are today. Driving on studded tires is like killing a fly with a hammer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh