Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 27,541 times

Advertisements

My daughter is moving to Pittsburgh from Florida. Does she need snow tires or chains??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
snow tires - its a good idea, but specific to where she is living and what her habits will be (college student? intership? permanent resident?) she might not need them. you never know - just get snow tires.

chains - illegal in Pennsylvania.

i hope she enjoys her stay.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
I've lived here my whole life, the last car I put snow tires on was a RWD 1979 Chevy Monza.

I really think that all-wheel drive radials should be sufficient, she isn't going to be living in the woods

Old 12-08-2013, 02:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I've always used all season tires my entire life. No four wheel drive. Just front wheel drive. I even used all season tires back in the days of rear wheel drive. Pittsburgh winters aren't that bad. All seasons are all I've ever needed even when visiting Vermont in the winter. In my over 30 years of driving, I have only been stuck once, and that turned out to be due to my needing new all seasons and it being a blizzard, which aren't common here.

If your daughter is living in an apartment, where will she keep the snow tire 9 months of the year? Then there is the added expense of remounting and balancing four tires twice a year to take into consideration.

Chains are unheard of here in Pittsburgh. Definitely overkill. But it's not an awful idea to keep them in the trunk to use in an emergency if stuck. She'd have to be taught how to put them on and take them off. All people who live in real snow chain country know how to do this themselves. I doubt she'd ever use them.

Instead, buy her a AAA membership, a bag of rock salt, and maybe traction mats to keep in her trunk. If she's not a do-it-herself type of personality, make sure she understands the type of emergency equipment to keep in her vehicle in the winter to protect her from the cold while she's waiting for a tow truck----wool blanket, gloves, boots, etc. I'm talking real insulated waterproof snow boots, not fashion boots, and real winter gloves, not knit or leather gloves.

Here are lists of emergency equipment to keep in a car for the winter. Chances are she'll never need them her entire life, but it's better to be prepared.

7 Things You Must Carry in Your Car This Winter

15 Things to Have in Your Car This Winter

Last edited by Hopes; 12-08-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 04:51 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

chains - illegal in Pennsylvania.

Not true.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../chapter45.pdf

Section 4525.

Quote:

Tire chains may be temporarily used on vehicles
during periods of snow
and ice emergency if they are in conformance with
regulations promulgated by the
department

Studded tires are legal from November 1 to April 14.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Section 4525.

Tire chains may be temporarily used on vehicles
during periods of snow
and ice emergency if they are in conformance with
regulations promulgated by the
department
It's important to clarify that you can't keep chains on all winter. You put them on for extreme weather conditions. Coming from Florida, the OP's daughter would likely consider everything an extreme weather condition at first. LOL

Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
I'm sure that, driving with chains, after the first mile on dry roads she'd get it figured out...

Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I'm sure that, driving with chains, after the first mile on dry roads she'd get it figured out...
You might be surprised at some people.

Saw a picture from the Midwest yesterday. Guy was removing the ice from his windshield. With a hammer.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You might be surprised at some people.

Saw a picture from the Midwest yesterday. Guy was removing the ice from his windshield. With a hammer.
I heard ice was 3 inches thick in the Midwest. I would have stayed home until it melted. It's funny how people respond to winter weather. After a blizzard, I saw my neighbor trying to dig his car out with a broom. It was Sunday. He was going to church. While I was sure God would understand his missing service since God sent the snow, I gave him my shovel.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:55 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,540,417 times
I already used my jumper cables, good thing to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh