Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

I don't have snow tires and drive a small car. Other than hopelessly sliding around on pure sheets of ice last night on the side streets of Friendship (in the city proper) I've had no issues driving around in the snow. Pittsburgh receieves a lot of "nuisance" snowfall amounts in the 2-4 or 3-6 inch ranges; heavy snow storms exceeding a half-foot are rare and happen, on average, once per season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Depends on elevation within the city, too.
Very true. Most people scoff at that notion, but its completely true. +1 (you were at 666 )

Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCKWILSON View Post
My daughter is moving to Pittsburgh from Florida. Does she need snow tires or chains??
Thanks
Probably snow tires, but definitely an old chair to put out on the street, n'at.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:58 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
(you were at 666 )
Ha, guess that's why I felt like I needed a post about things freezing over.

I never gave the elevation thing much thought either, at least until I live up there for a while. I remember a few times where I had two or three inches on the ground, but by the time I got to the bottom of McArdle there was nothing but rain.

I think that's part of why the OP is getting so many different responses to the great Snow Tire Question, and why some regard others as wimps or whatever about driving in snow. It largely depends on where you are. I never saw the need for snow tires either, until I was in an apartment that was in the middle of a one-way largely-untreated brick street. Cars normally parked along both sides of the road so it would not take much to slide into one of them. I couldn't even get a "running start" as I had to pull out and start trying to gain traction on that surface immediately. I don't really "need" the snows any more, but I still put them on because I already have them. If nothing else, it's saving wear on my regular tires.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM

20 posts, read 27,570 times
Great info, thanks everyone!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
You all have seen these, right?
http://http://compressmerch.com/prod...-parking-chair

Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's true that AWD won't help you stop. But snow tires WILL help you come to a stop.
Did I say they wouldn't?

Not saying they aren't fine things if you want to deal with putting them on and taking them off and storing an extra set to tires. I did that when I had a rear wheel drive car and lived in CT where they don't bother to plow until there is 4 inches of snow on the roads. Personally I don't have any difficulty coming to a stop using all season tires and don't see snow tires as a necessity for the little bit of snowfall we get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh