Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM

366 posts, read 944,432 times

Advertisements

I have 4 crappy tires on my 2005 Audi with 80,000 miles. I'm considering taking advantage of Costco's Michelin tire sale starting on May 12. I've done research on pros and cons of buying at Costco, but am interested in some local opinions.

Is there a better place to buy tires in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I've gotten tires at Costco a couple times. I don't know if there's a better place, but it's true that other dealers may come close to or match Costco's prices.

Costco is fine in my experience, and you know the full price upfront which includes road hazard warranty, installation, disposal, etc. You probably need to order online unless they happen to stock your tire at the store. Once they come in you do not need an appointment (nor do they offer them) but you will need to kill possibly a couple hours so go with another car or go to the Waterfront or Cranberry if you want to kill that time other than in Costco itself (Robinson store is pretty awkward to walk somewhere else).

Main downside is they only do tires (no alignments, no oil changes, nothing) so unless you've had a recent alignment you'll probably want one of those and you'll have to get it elsewhere.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Bruce Brothers tire on Rte. 88 in Bethel Park. They include a 4 wheel alignment plus road hazard, free rotations, etc. in their "out the door" pricing. They will usually price match as well as long as you are comparing "like" services so you need to make sure you get a quote with an alignment at any of the other places if you want to use that as leverage.

4 wheel alignment is usually $60 to $80 at other independent shops.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
NTB guarantees the lowest tire price and offers a lot of other common services. When they aren't busy you just drive in and they take you right away.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:10 PM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
Just make sure they have your tires in stock. Didn't take too long to do. We were able to do some shopping in Robinson and return to the store to pick it up. Can't beat the price and we didn't have any problems.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
I bought tires from all these above mentioned places plus Tirerack.com.
At sam's (well not Costco but they have the same sort of offer) they didn't put them on right. they would deflate in time or something. It was my most unfortunate experience but that's Sam's.
Bruce brother's and NTB were very good. Now i got it from Firestone. I like places where they give you free tire rotation and wheel alignment and buy 3 tires get the 4rth free.
I am not so sure how big the sale at Costco is but do keep in mind everything else you have to pay for tire rotation and wheel alignment.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM

366 posts, read 944,432 times
Yeah the biggest issue with Costco is they do not do alignment. They do offer free rotation and use nitrogen in the tires. They quoted me an installed price of $205.99 each (before $17.50 discount) for Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season Plus tires (235/40/18). Pretty good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh